Kazzak, doomguard of the Burning Legion is coming !

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: Kazzak, doomguard of the Burning Legion is coming !

by Plask » Wed May 06, 2015 8:48 pm

Youfie wrote:
Plask wrote:-He sometimes hits the tank for over 5k damage normal hit (when tank has 308 fire ress)

What exactly is wrong with that?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but first of all you should not be able to block elemental attacks. Second of all, elemental attacks should not be able to be crushing blows.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Attack_table
Edit:
The attacks of some monsters that do magic damage are actually treated as melee attacks, and use the standard melee auto-attack rules. For example, the melee attacks done by a fire elemental inflict fire damage, but they're resolved as an ordinary white-damage auto-attack—they can miss, be dodged, be parried, be blocked (as of Patch 3.0), and do double damage on a crit. The only difference between how a magic-damage melee auto-attack, and an ordinary physical damage melee auto-attack, is resolved is that if the target has any resistance to that school of magic, the same check is made to see if the damage is partially resisted as would happen from a spell.

It says elemental attacks could be blocked as of patch 3.0. It does however not mention crushing, I'll keep looking but I'm fairly sure that crushings could not occur since you couldn't block the attacks (which is how tanks avoid getting crushed).

But to be fair, this is hardly the biggest issue with ragnaros atm. The fact that you gotta send in tanks to build aggro on a fight which is supposed to have a "attack closest target" mechanic but instead use regular aggro mechanics is a big issue. The fight is certainly doable when you figure it out but the fact that the final boss in the first raid dungeon has such mechanics missing should be fixed before even thinking about releasing BWL. Especially since BWL has way more mechanics then Molten Core.
Last edited by Plask on Wed May 06, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sidesprang wrote:Defcap is overrated at current state of the game.
Plask
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Armilus » Wed May 06, 2015 10:23 pm

Plask wrote:
Youfie wrote:
Plask wrote:-He sometimes hits the tank for over 5k damage normal hit (when tank has 308 fire ress)

What exactly is wrong with that?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but first of all you should not be able to block elemental attacks. Second of all, elemental attacks should not be able to be crushing blows.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Attack_table
Edit:
The attacks of some monsters that do magic damage are actually treated as melee attacks, and use the standard melee auto-attack rules. For example, the melee attacks done by a fire elemental inflict fire damage, but they're resolved as an ordinary white-damage auto-attack—they can miss, be dodged, be parried, be blocked (as of Patch 3.0), and do double damage on a crit. The only difference between how a magic-damage melee auto-attack, and an ordinary physical damage melee auto-attack, is resolved is that if the target has any resistance to that school of magic, the same check is made to see if the damage is partially resisted as would happen from a spell.

It says elemental attacks could be blocked as of patch 3.0. It does however not mention crushing, I'll keep looking but I'm fairly sure that crushings could not occur since you couldn't block the attacks (which is how tanks avoid getting crushed).

But to be fair, this is hardly the biggest issue with ragnaros atm. The fact that you gotta send in tanks to build aggro on a fight which is supposed to have a "attack closest target" mechanic but instead use regular aggro mechanics is a big issue. The fight is certainly doable when you figure it out but the fact that the final boss in the first raid dungeon has such mechanics missing should be fixed before even thinking about releasing BWL. Especially since BWL has way more mechanics then Molten Core.

1) 308 FR is not capped which means there is a pretty decent chance to take a full damage hit. That is why you are seeing 5k hits
2) What does block and crushing blows have to do with this? You already said it was a normal hit
3) Ragnaros only attacks targets in melee range, he still attacks the target with the highest threat. If nobody is in melee range, he nukes the highest threat target that is not in melee range.

I am pretty sure he never had any "attacks the closest target and doesn't use threat at all" mechanic.

Do you have proof of any kind to back up your claims?
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Plask » Wed May 06, 2015 11:54 pm

1) 308 FR is not capped which means there is a pretty decent chance to take a full damage hit. That is why you are seeing 5k hits
2) What does block and crushing blows have to do with this? You already said it was a normal hit
3) Ragnaros only attacks targets in melee range, he still attacks the target with the highest threat. If nobody is in melee range, he nukes the highest threat target that is not in melee range.

I am pretty sure he never had any "attacks the closest target and doesn't use threat at all" mechanic.

Yes I just posted my source that shows blocks and crushings should not be able to occur. Which they do at the moment. Ask any tanks that tanked Ragnaros. I'll post you a combatlog if you want. The normal hit was I typo, I wanna emphatise the fact that the elemental attack can be blocked and crushed which it shouldn't.

Since you didn't read the post regarding that, I'll take the liberty to post it again!

Source: http://www.wowwiki.com/Attack_table

In addition regarding the threat mechanic:
All ranged DPS (Mages, Hunters, Warlocks) should keep in mind that it is impossible for them to pull aggro from the MT. Ragnaros will always attack players who are in melee range first, regardless of their position on his hatelist (so don't hold back on DPS).

Source:http://www.wowwiki.com/Ragnaros_%28tactics%29

While you are "pretty sure", I would like you to provide something indicating the opposite. Looking at old strategies it's more likely you're wrong, whether this is enough or as evidence isn't sure. I found this in a few minutes digging though.
Sidesprang wrote:Defcap is overrated at current state of the game.
Plask
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Keftenk » Thu May 07, 2015 12:25 am

If you guys haven't, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6656.
No reason to discuss it here when it's the dev's and the team that will research all claims.

Finding the data is right; arguing about it here isn't.
Keftenk
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Stalk » Thu May 07, 2015 1:18 pm

Armilus wrote:

1) You don't even know what you are talking about. There was always a 1% chance to take full damage from elemental damage in 315 fire resist. The moment that the tank has 60% average resistance to a damage school is when the probability of taking a 100% damage from elemental damage is at its lowest probability of 1%. This would requires only 252 Fire resistance vs Ragnaros to minimize your probability of taking a full hit. Therefore, there is not a GOOD chance that you take a full damage hit from elemental damage with only 308 fire resist. However, I saw multiple instances (still a rare occurence) of our main tank taking full hits during each attempt.

3) He doesn't nuke the target that has threat immediately. He should be casting Elemental Fire almost as soon as he changes to another target in melee range. Instead, it is on a random 10 - 14 second timer.
Stalk
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Previous

Return to Announcements