Clarification regarding language on public channel

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: Clarification regarding language on public channel

by Tfinger » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:57 am

canitnerd wrote:
Melgarh wrote:
IP bans would not work much, as VPN's are readily available as well as anybody travelling to China would not be able to play (business trips are "fun" y'know).

Ping lock

Aussies play with 400+ ping all the time, ping lock isn't an option

Client language lock is probably the only reasonable way of doing it
Tfinger
Grunt
Grunt

by Marharbal » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:56 am

Even though the main theme in this topic is the communication issue (talking English in public), the discussion, beneath the surface, contains also the more general fear of overcrowding. This fear is articulated by many in the symbol of the "Chinese player". This is of course a simplification, its the need for getting a simple answer and direct enemy for a more complex problem with no visible enemy.
Don't get me wrong here. I too want to have the communication on this server to be in English, and i too fear, that a mass of new Chinese players could endanger this common agreement. But i think this problem can be somewhat managed and i think the Nostalrious-Team is on the right way without falling into extremes.
The more profound problem, that, up to this point, wasn't addressed adequately by the Nost-Team, is Overcrowding. And because here potentially everyone is part of the problem, there is no simple way of finding the "trouble maker". So the new Mass of Chinese players, as stated above, is pushed into this role.

With this i want to emphasize, that some if not most people in this topic articulate the imminent problem of Overcrowding through a scapegoat, and i hope, that the Server-Team can see through it, can see the true roots of the problem.

But what could be a solution for Overcrowding?
1. As we have seen before, a new server itself simply is not the answer (even though some here pray it up and down without further explanation).
Why's that? I think the missing switch of many players to the new server wasn't only because most players wanted to stay on a PVP-Realm, but also, because they did not want to drop their hard earned characters. Also a majority of the Chinese players came to the PVP-Realm, not the PVE-Realm, even though the PVP-one already was way overcrowded before they showed up. This is not a genuine chinese behavior. It's simply how masses work. Many new players will get attracted by the big player-numbers Nost. can provide. That's how it always works in the private-server-community.

2. The demand for an IP-Ban or Client-Lock is simply the manifestation of the already mentioned "Scapegoat-Method". It's also discriminating (even though i can understand the real fears of most of the people, that demand it). It won't solve anything, maybe only delay the problems, as the roots stay untouched.

4. A Queue-System, if it has the "right cap" (this need to be discussed), could simply remove all the Overcrowding-Problems already in play, and also effectively prevent the even bigger ones to come. It's also in no way discriminating, because it treats all players equal. The really big downside though - it will be punch to the face for everyone, that has spent many hours investing into his character and now has to wait an hour or more to enter the game. So the more drastically the "cap" will be, the more it will stir up the player base, the more this could endanger the reputation of the Server. One way to cushion the impact could be to combine a population cap with the possibility to switch on a new PVP-realm with their characters intact.
But this would be an extreme administrative effort and i doubt (though i would welcome it), that the Server-Team can and want to handle it.
But one thing is crucial! -> The sooner a cap is installed, the better it can balance the population of a server without hurting too many people. To give a simple example: If the Team would cap the population at 10 000 now, it would not hurt the community all to much (probably not at all). It also would prevent, that too many new players would join an already full server. Any more people joining the Nost-Community would need to be treated with a new server or simply be neglected (to be honest - every Team has a maximum player-base it can handle -> the only thing that grows forever is cancer ... pathetic joke, check!). The downside though - the current problems with overcrowding would stay. But at least it would prevent the problems to get even bigger.

I think the only way to address the problem (not even to solve it completely - "the child already fell into the well", old German saying) is a population cap, maybe cushioned (if the cap is radical) with a possible alternate Realm. The Team already waited really long to install it. If they continue to wait, it will make matters worse and further reduce the chance of a useful installation of a cap.

As for the intentions of the Team i can only guess. Probably they too can see most of the problems and because of their insight can even better understand the impacts of their decisions. And they have as perfect example the official game with its population caps and a supply of new realms if the player base grows.
Maybe they already gone that road to afar to turn back now, or maybe they are even intoxicated by the rapid and ongoing success and recognition of an ever-growing project ( :P :mrgreen: ).

(Sorry for some bad formulations, no native tongue.)
Marharbal
Tester

by Forcerius » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:03 pm

Stop criticizing them about optimizing the server. Dedicated servers are expensive, and you can't just "magically optimize" it. It has physical limits unless you pay more money. How much have you guys donated? Not to mention the fact of migrating all the content to the new server... Takes alot of work. And I havn't experienced any lag (except occasional). So far its been great. Even the overcrowding isn't an issue. I've still gathered plenty of herbs and completed the quests just fine. Its actually nice with more people. And remember that the devs will choose the best solution THEY think they have. They're not going to choose something illogical or stupid on purpose. Usually if you think something doesn't make sense, its due to ignorance of resources limits (time, money, etc) or otherwise. So thank you to them for putting in all the work for a server that works near flawless from my experience.
studyquran.org/resources/Quran_Reformist_Translation.pdf
Submission to God alone and doing good work is the only path to Paradise.
Peace be upon you.
Forcerius
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Tfinger » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:58 am

Forcerius wrote:Stop criticizing them about optimizing the server. Dedicated servers are expensive, and you can't just "magically optimize" it. It has physical limits unless you pay more money. How much have you guys donated? Not to mention the fact of migrating all the content to the new server... Takes alot of work. And I havn't experienced any lag (except occasional). So far its been great. Even the overcrowding isn't an issue. I've still gathered plenty of herbs and completed the quests just fine. Its actually nice with more people. And remember that the devs will choose the best solution THEY think they have. They're not going to choose something illogical or stupid on purpose. Usually if you think something doesn't make sense, its due to ignorance of resources limits (time, money, etc) or otherwise. So thank you to them for putting in all the work for a server that works near flawless from my experience.

Play during 6-9am EST

You can't
Tfinger
Grunt
Grunt

by roland79 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:29 am

Tfinger wrote:
Fagatron wrote:
Tfinger wrote:
At that point it doesn't matter if the server is running flawless, 15k people on a single server is unplayable. Resources and mobs will need to be re-spawning instantly to even hope to keep up with player base, which will tank the economy even further then the freaky one we got going on now.

Thats some bullshit Right there. The Economy we have is perfectly healthy. And getting more Players wont change that, it will do The opposite.

It's healthy, sorta. Some things like travelers backpack is way underpriced due to the huge population getting them to drop. It makes things like mooncloth bag worthless.

There's also the side effect of tons of resources being worthless due to so many players farming them to grind levels, but such a small demand for them since they're generally useless

So your saying people having easy access to leveling their professions is a bad thing and makes a weak economy?
roland79
Sergeant
Sergeant

by roland79 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:31 am

Margatroid wrote:Please clarify in this thread why you are either unwilling or unable to create another PVP server. Doing so is the only acceptable solution to the population problem. A vanilla WoW sever with 5k players is not "underpopulated." That is twice what the cap was at one point during retail. 7.5k or 10k players is ridiculous. 15k is untenable, and is not a goal for you to reach. It's a disaster to be avoided.

Why are you unwilling or unable to create another PVP server and enable transfers to it? How much funding would you need to create another server?

Don't dodge the question. This is what your players want. Why can you not create another server and provide us with a much less laggy, much less crowded and much more enjoyable playing experience?

The breaking point is the limit of imagination. People are the real value and dam are we rich
roland79
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Margatroid » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:59 am

roland79 wrote:
Margatroid wrote:Please clarify in this thread why you are either unwilling or unable to create another PVP server. Doing so is the only acceptable solution to the population problem. A vanilla WoW sever with 5k players is not "underpopulated." That is twice what the cap was at one point during retail. 7.5k or 10k players is ridiculous. 15k is untenable, and is not a goal for you to reach. It's a disaster to be avoided.

Why are you unwilling or unable to create another PVP server and enable transfers to it? How much funding would you need to create another server?

Don't dodge the question. This is what your players want. Why can you not create another server and provide us with a much less laggy, much less crowded and much more enjoyable playing experience?

The breaking point is the limit of imagination. People are the real value and dam are we rich

You are stupid as fuck.
Margatroid
Grunt
Grunt

by innercorefury » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:55 pm

When will China be banned?
Last edited by innercorefury on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
innercorefury
Private
Private

by Bambam » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:17 pm

Margatroid wrote:You are stupid as fuck.

That was very helpful, thank you so much Sir. :?
Bambam Warrior 60, tank
Bambam
Sergeant
Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements