Clarification regarding language on public channel

Nostalrius official announcements

Clarification regarding language on public channel

by Viper » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:47 pm

Greetings,

As you all know, Nostalrius is an international server released nearly one year ago. This server has become very popular in countries all around the world under one main objective: for people to enjoy Vanilla. Lately, the community has become more and more concerned about the language used in public channels since logograms from dedicated countries cannot be displayed by a standard US client and has become more and more numerous.

As a reminder, and as stated in our Terms of Use here : https://en.nostalrius.org/faq#language, the official language in public channels is English. Consequently, a modification will be made in the chat system to forbid logograms in public channels, also including PVP battlegrounds. As a result, players using logograms must create their own private channel in order to coordinate themselves while fighting against the opposing faction.

It's not in our roadmap to open a dedicated server for a specific GMT population. Keep in mind that this server is a very unique tool allowing you to share your experiences, cultures, questions and memories with other players from other countries. So don't forget to stay open minded no matter the circumstances, because, on the other side, someone is playing and wants to have fun too. Racism of any form will not be tolerated and can ultimately lead to sanctions.

On another topic, as you have already noticed, server population on the PVP realm increased by 2.000 players in only ~2 weeks. Dev. Team is working since more than a week now on a new software's evolution which will decrease (or suppress) lag that some players may encounter when server reach more than 10.5K players online. Stay tuned for more information soon !

Best regards,
Nostalrius.
Viper
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Clarification regarding language on public channel

by venven » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:03 pm

I like vanilla.
Rogue IG & IRL.
venven
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by zzxx » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:04 pm

this is good to hear :D
Time and space, it's a crossroad through a gate, where do you go?
Getownedlol
Ogtucker
zzxx
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by PeaceHammer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:17 pm

Excellent, thank you!

You guys have been awesome at tweaking the software to support more players. But won't the population eventually reach a breaking point where this is not plausible, and a new server is in the only solution?
PeaceHammer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Dreez » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:19 pm

good and fair decision
Dreez - PvP server
<Endzeit>
Dreez
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Ghostly » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:33 pm

Seriously now? Is this your "solution" to this problem? You're just going to limit Chinese language in the main channels?

Wow. So, uh, thanks I guess. Now we shall no longer see any dreadful empty posts in /1, /2, /bg and /world.

Can't you see that this is one of the smallest issues the server has now? I couldn't care less about incomprehensible posts in main channels, even about empty whispers I sometimes get from people who, as it seems, assume that other players around them are Chinese by default. But couldn't you tell us something about solving the real problems of the community? There are thousands and thousands of players are communicating exclusively in their own channels, on their own forums, without interacting with the English-speaking playerbase in any way aside from broken google translate sentences or above-mentioned annoying empty whispers. There is so many of them that the server doesn't peak at European times anymore, it peaks at the Chinese times.

I see you're very glad that we can all "share your experiences, cultures, questions and memories with other players from other countries". But we can't do that with the Chinese palyers, because the absolute majority of them doesnt understand a word of English. In Vanilla WoW socialization is one of the most important aspects, yet there are currently two large groups on the server that can't socialize with each other because of the language barrier. So instead of splitting them, instead of creating an optimal experience for the both parties, you throw them into one pot, and limit speech of the smaller group to make it more comfortable for the bigger one. Isn't that the real "racism"?

Oh, and last but not least, I don't doubt your ability to optimize the server to handle 12k online without lags or view range drops. Server stability has imporved a lot, back in the day it performed much worse with 8k online than it does now with 10k. But the population won't stop at where it's now. In several months we will get AQ, that alone will undoubtfully attract huge amounts of people. Let's say you will optimize it to run 12k players by then. And then we get 15k players and everything will go to shitter, just like now. Why are you doing this? Why the half-measures? The server already needs a population split, desperately, and all you're telling us is "ok we'll just optimize it soon!"? This server is already handling 5 times the intended population for vanilla, how much further are you going to push it?

/rant
all is now dark
Ghostly
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by canitnerd » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:50 pm

Ghostly wrote:Seriously now? Is this your "solution" to this problem? You're just going to limit Chinese language in the main channels?

Wow. So, uh, thanks I guess. Now we shall no longer see any dreadful empty posts in /1, /2, /bg and /world.

Can't you see that this is one of the smallest issues the server has now? I couldn't care less about incomprehensible posts in main channels, even about empty whispers I sometimes get from people who, as it seems, assume that other players around them are Chinese by default. But couldn't you tell us something about solving the real problems of the community? There are thousands and thousands of players are communicating exclusively in their own channels, on their own forums, without interacting with the English-speaking playerbase in any way aside from broken google translate sentences or above-mentioned annoying empty whispers. There is so many of them that the server doesn't peak at European times anymore, it peaks at the Chinese times.

I see you're very glad that we can all "share your experiences, cultures, questions and memories with other players from other countries". But we can't do that with the Chinese palyers, because the absolute majority of them doesnt understand a word of English. In Vanilla WoW socialization is one of the most important aspects, yet there are currently two large groups on the server that can't socialize with each other because of the language barrier. So instead of splitting them, instead of creating an optimal experience for the both parties, you throw them into one pot, and limit speech of the smaller group to make it more comfortable for the bigger one. Isn't that the real "racism"?

Oh, and last but not least, I don't doubt your ability to optimize the server to handle 12k online without lags or view range drops. Server stability has imporved a lot, back in the day it performed much worse with 8k online than it does now with 10k. But the population won't stop at where it's now. In several months we will get AQ, that alone will undoubtfully attract huge amounts of people. Let's say you will optimize it to run 12k players by then. And then we get 15k players and everything will go to shitter, just like now. Why are you doing this? Why the half-measures? The server already needs a population split, desperately, and all you're telling us is "ok we'll just optimize it soon!"? This server is already handling 5 times the intended population for vanilla, how much further are you going to push it?

/rant

Pretty much hitting the nail on the head. This solves absolutely nothing. Even if your proposed lag fixes are 100% effective and the server has perfect performance with 20k people online, we would still need a population split because the zones are overcrowded and there are two distinct groups that cannot effectively interact with each other in a game that is almost entirely based on interaction. This isn't even a half measure, its next to nothing.
canitnerd
Tester

by Kezzik » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:51 pm

Glad to hear you guys are aware of the concerns here. Completely agree that insulting an entire region of players is not the best way to solve anything.

However, it really worries me, even more now, that 2000 player increase in two weeks? Even if new server software comes into play and reduces lag, just how large of a population is the Nostalrius team okay with on the server?

What is the limit for you guys? Is there a limit you guys say, "okay, this is getting too much."

12,000?

15,000?

20,000?

25,000?

The population already isn't blizz-like, but what if it keeps increasing into 15,000? I completely understand it's hard to implement a new server. I'm not fully 100% agree with a new server but I do side with it more. I hope eventually we get more answers on what the future of the server will be, because I really hope the server continues to do well. I think that is what we all want because we love playing here on Nostalrius. I just have to be honest though, I don't see how playing on this server will be fun with it being insane population numbers like 15,000+.

My ultimate worry is that the population gets so big that there actually is no community at all. If someone does something the community doesn't like, what if the population is so big no one cares and it gets swept under the rug? Some people live in this fantasy world where they think a huge population under one little server is a good idea. It would be a nightmare.
Last edited by Kezzik on Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexensual

Twitch: Alexensual
Twitter: @Alexensual

https://www.youtube.com/c/Alexensual
Kezzik
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Betta » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:57 pm

Viper wrote:Greetings,

As you all know, Nostalrius is an international server released nearly one year ago. This server has become very popular in countries all around the world under one main objective: for people to enjoy Vanilla. Lately, the community has become more and more concerned about the language used in public channels since logograms from dedicated countries cannot be displayed by a standard US client and has become more and more numerous.

As a reminder, and as stated in our Terms of Use here : https://en.nostalrius.org/faq#language, the official language in public channels is English. Consequently, a modification will be made in the chat system to forbid logograms in public channels, also including PVP battlegrounds. As a result, players using logograms must create their own private channel in order to coordinate themselves while fighting against the opposing faction.

It's not in our roadmap to open a dedicated server for a specific GMT population. Keep in mind that this server is a very unique tool allowing you to share your experiences, cultures, questions and memories with other players from other countries. So don't forget to stay open minded no matter the circumstances, because, on the other side, someone is playing and wants to have fun too. Racism of any form will not be tolerated and can ultimately lead to sanctions.

On another topic, as you have already noticed, server population on the PVP realm increased by 2.000 players in only ~2 weeks. Dev. Team is working since more than a week now on a new software's evolution which will decrease (or suppress) lag that some players may encounter when server reach more than 10.5K players online. Stay tuned for more information soon !

Best regards,
Nostalrius.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32405&p=226374&hilit=chinese#p226374
I'm just Betta than you..
Betta
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to Announcements