Clustering development insight

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: Clustering development insight

by TomDeBaere » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:50 pm

Thank you Pottu for the clarifications. However, what are your limits for the server then, I mean how big will you let the population grow... I'm sure this change will attract new people on the server. Don't you agree that if the population reaches into the big numbers, it kinda destroys the Vanilla feeling? Having people today already fight for spawns and nodes and such isn't fun anymore, even if there would be no lag. I can already see fun moments though with 100 people standing around a mining node or mob for it to respawn :D
TomDeBaere
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Jackblak » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:12 pm

Pottu wrote:Greetings,

I'll try to answer and clarify few questions.

1) "This will ruin world PvP since people will hide on a different node"

No. We will not implement phasing or instancing on the same map. That would indeed destroy the feel of vanilla WoW. Each node/server will handle either a continent, battlegrounds or dungeon/raid instances. If necessary, these can then be divided further, so a single node handles BWL, another node handles AV, yet another handles Kalimdor and so on. There will not be a situation where two players are in Elwynn Forest and cannot see each other. The video used Elwynn just to prove that the chat works between nodes.

2) "Will this bring in queues?"

No. After a server crash there has always been and will be a short queue as the login server cannot handle thousands of players logging in simultaneously. Outside of that specific case, there won't be any queues.

3) "Will this help with my lag?"

Yes and no. It won't improve the connection lag caused by distance from France or if you have a poor Internet connection. It will improve (possibly completely eliminate) the server delay that can happen with 10k+ players online.

4) "Will view distances improve?"

Yes. View distance is one the most taxing things for the server to handle. Reducing it is thus one the more effective methods to combat server delay. With the burden divided between multiple server-nodes, it will be possible to increase view distances.

5) "CROSS-REALM BATTLEGROUNDS!!!"

Clustering will make Cross-Realms BG a possibility but no promises there as there are more hurdles to overcome.

Hope this helps.

The GM Team.

You guys are fckin awesome, this server brings me back to my gaming routes. Keep up the amazing work and dont pander to the crybabies! thats how retail wow got ruined!
Jackblak
Tester

by zzxx » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:28 pm

this is awesome, keep up the good work :)
Time and space, it's a crossroad through a gate, where do you go?
Getownedlol
Ogtucker
zzxx
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Konwizzle » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:32 pm

So this will solve one problem (lag), but what about all the other equally frustrating issues caused by overpopulation? No plans to address those? For example:

- Getting ganked 5x as much because there's 5x Blizzlike population
- Waiting forever for the chance to kill a quest mob
- Getting overwhelmed by mobs (especially in caves) because you tuned the respawn rates too high
- Never being able to buy limited stock recipes from vendors because they're camped 24/7 and sold on the AH for ridiculous prices
- Never being able to collect rare resources like Blood of Heroes because they're camped 24/7 too

At a certain point, you have to stop ignoring the fact that the population itself is not Blizzlike at all, and these little bandaid fixes (like dynamic respawn rates) create as many problems as they solve.
Konwizzle
Grunt
Grunt

by Cousy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:42 pm

Konwizzle wrote:So this will solve one problem (lag), but what about all the other equally frustrating issues caused by overpopulation? No plans to address those? For example:

- Getting overwhelmed by mobs (especially in caves) because you tuned the respawn rates too high
- Never being able to buy limited stock recipes from vendors because they're camped 24/7 and sold on the AH for ridiculous prices
- Never being able to collect rare resources like Blood of Heroes because they're camped 24/7 too

At a certain point, you have to stop ignoring the fact that the population itself is not Blizzlike at all, and these little bandaid fixes (like dynamic respawn rates) create as many problems as they solve.

Have you ever considered maybe you're just not a good player if you can't deal with some of these issues? The only legit one I see if the vendor supplies. Points 2 and 3 are direct contradictions of one another. Point one makes it seem like you should be on a PvE server and point 5 you contradict yourself again ("Rare resources" should be abundant?)

If you don't like the population of the server, then go to another server. The high population here is amazing.
Cousy
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Robotron » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:44 pm

Seems very good.
Robotron
Champion
Champion

by Doost » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:44 pm

siiiick
Doost
Tester

by notgunnahappen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:57 pm

Is there a rough ETA when this will be implemented?
notgunnahappen
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Requake » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:00 pm

Nice work lads
Requake
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Marharbal » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:22 pm

Cousy wrote:
Konwizzle wrote:So this will solve one problem (lag), but what about all the other equally frustrating issues caused by overpopulation? No plans to address those? For example:

Have you ever considered maybe you're just not a good player if you can't deal with some of these issues? The only legit one I see if the vendor supplies. Points 2 and 3 are direct contradictions of one another. Point one makes it seem like you should be on a PvE server and point 5 you contradict yourself again ("Rare resources" should be abundant?)

If you don't like the population of the server, then go to another server. The high population here is amazing.

I would like to address on this.

Point 2 and 3 are not contradicting each other if you think of the multiple aspects of the game world. By means o pure rhetorics and just taking what is standing here in the forums you can turn it that way, that it indeed seems contradictory. But if you actually think of what Konwizzle meant to say and not only taking the plain words as they stands like any politician in a talkshow, there is a point he has.
But for the sake of Detail i will unfold his little 2 sentences in a more elaborate manner, so that it won't be so easily attacked by rhetorics:
- Waiting forever for a quest mob vs getting overwhelmed by mobs (caves etc.): There is not one type of mob for the whole fucking game - take the Defias Traitor in Westfall for example - he's constantly non-existent and there are many grps waiting for him, with several chars i already faced the situation of having to wait up to 30mins for this mob, because there were other (full) grps, that just directly picked his quest when he spawned - these problems will increase with further population growth. On the other side there are many caves, where you simply have an abundance of mobs, that aren't necessarily needed for a quest or are simply not farmed so much...
Btw.: Try to farm in the Searing Gorge for the Greater Lava-Spiders or Golems/Fire/Rock-Elementals, that are needed for a quest -> even with the way better respawn-time it currently takes much time to farm (and that when you are 2 or more people, else you're getting killed by no time :D).

As for the argument not to play on a PVP-Server if you don't like PvP: It's a complex matter to discuss and i can understand both lines of argumentation. But comperade to the Blizzlike realism you are forced 5times more often into PVP-conflicts. If you're looking for that, then you will like it. But there is also an abundance of players who actually stand in the middle ground between not liking world pvp at all and being a nonstop PVP-Person that kills every red character out of principle the moment he sees him.
Many of these people could identify with the situation you had on retail: Questing with the constant fear, that a horde/alliance player might turn up and therefore planning really carefully the own steps in the world. The current situation in some or even many regions is more like that you have the other faction constantly around you, completely taking away the tension.
Marharbal
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements