Clustering development insight

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: Clustering development insight

by zusukie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:27 pm

as long as all players in the same zone + neighboured zones (so someone you are chasing from zone A into zone B doesnt disappear infront of you) are in the same node, then i'm very happy about this news and looking forward to these changes.
Zusukie - High Warlord Shaman Class Leader of <Emphasis>

zusukie
Grunt
Grunt

by Forest » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:36 pm

This server never ceases to impress what it does on a donation only sustained project.

Seriously fantastic work responding to the problems of the day in impressive time.

Keep up the amazing work; high hopes for AQ40, Naxx, and TBC. This server will go down in history.

Huge +1 from me!

:D
Forest
Sergeant
Sergeant

by wpzwang » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 pm

thanks,hope it can be work well
wpzwang
Grunt
Grunt

by dida55 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 pm

This sounds amazing. Good job coming up with good solutions!
dida55
Private
Private

by Marharbal » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:41 pm

From the technical side this sounds awesome. We would have better server performance, probably resulting in the reintroduction of quality view distance, less lag aso.
But from the overall experience it still gets me concerned...
First i hope this won't result in the already mentioned phasing in the same zone or even multiple instances of the same zone - this would totally ruin the game experience. So i hope this new technique is only applied in the way of "one Node per continent/instance/battleground" as suggested in the Nost. youtube-preview.
With the chat and other social options still intact cross-node, this would lead to better performance without any impact on the game-experience -> plain awesome!
But it would also leave the server open to even higher population peaks without any lag/latency-problems effecting playability and therefore keeping new players at bay. Its partly theory, but it takes no seer to assume, that the already huge popularity of the project leads to an ever-increasing player count if there are no technical issues, that stand in the way.
So lets just assume, that the new system can handle a number of 20 000 players online without technical issues -> 4000 on the Instance/Battleground-Node, 8000 on the Kalimdor-Node, 8000 on the Eastern Kingdoms-Node. With a peak of 8000 players per Node we probably have better viewing distances than now without lags and no npc-loading issues - so an overall really enjoyable experience :).
But we still have extremely overcrowded areas - just imagine the situation in an area like Silithus... of course you can always adjust ore/herb/mob-spawns, but the plain size of the zones won't change, therefore leading to still bizarre situations, that alter the original experience of WoW-Vanilla significantly (areas, where you can't do a thing because of PvP, try questing in the Searing Gorge for example... or taking pvp aside, situations where mob-spawns need to be so fast, that entering caves can be extremely frustrating...).

The technical side is one major concern and this new development sounds really great... but it's only one side of the player-experience, and up to this point the server-policy addressed the whole topic somewhat one-sided with the focus on the technical issues (of course this is easier to address because you can simply improve that, while the other side has "natural limits" you can't overcome - so decisions concerning overcrowding always tend to be stir up some people).
I think a population-cap and therefore a queue-system needs to be thought over - even if you just install it to prevent the Server-population from further skyrocketing (cap at 12000 f.e.?).

I really appreciate the good news from the Nost-Team here - but i also want to give constructive criticism ... and i'm going to ignore the many posts without actual content, that will plainly attack criticism as for being criticism (because nobody of us pays a penny for ... blablabla...)
Last edited by Marharbal on Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marharbal
Tester

by Mchayes » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Isn't this sort of implemented already at certain spots -- where there is just a sudden zone in/out?

Remember when wotlk introduced phasing, pretty much horribly like that atm. I'm talking wetlands bridge to arathi highlands. It's impossible to have any fun in kiting npc X to place Y.

That said;
What are the possibilities with this new.. tech(?) in regards of kiting mobs to cities for the funsies of it?
Mchayes
Sergeant
Sergeant

by dustinfll » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:51 pm

Ghostly wrote:One question though, is it related to the phasing issues already present on the server? There are currently borders in many spots in the world that make characters phase out, Azuregos was bugged using one such spot a few weeks ago.

I wouldn't worry.

Freeznfire - Coalition

http://www.twitch.tv/frz_wow
dustinfll
Grunt
Grunt

by arOo » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:52 pm

Really excited to read that and big kudos to the Nost team to give this a shot.(One hell of project)
From a technical pov this was the only logical solution (other than completely splitting up the server)
----
However this means even more workload on the shoulders of the developers and I'm concerned, urgent game-mechanic fixes will suffer because of it.

However this announcement is a ray of hope for me - which will have an impact in my future plans regarding Nostalrius.

Mchayes wrote:Isn't this sort of implemented already at certain spots -- where there is just a sudden zone in/out?

What you are experiencing at the moment isn't phasing (as to WotLK standards) , the game simply doesn't process anything outside of your draw distance.

---
This would also mean that Far Sight items/spells will be rendered useless in between phased areas.
- However I consider this to be minor. If this is working it's 100% worth it.
/allyourbasearebelongtous
Nuar - Nostalrius Begins PvP
arOo
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Sharax » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:00 pm

The next big announcement - moving all non-english clients to another node when the current population merits a new server spawn. :D
@CharaxS
Sharax
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Zerxin » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:11 pm

DONT DO THIS PLEASE THIS IS JUST LIKE THE GARRISON PLEASE DONT NOSTALRIUS
Zerxin
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements