Financial Announcement

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: Financial Announcement

by Nyarko » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:32 am

Imbaslap wrote:
Niko wrote:I vote Sethzer to hold this.
We've already donated hundreds of euros to him through friends, not to mention the whole community that pitched in to help http://www.realmplayers.com

He'd a dependable guy and works loads for the vanilla community.
Doubt anyone else would be more suitable for this kind of a task, if he'd be up for it.
.. but surely you guys can find some site that middlehands it or chunks the monthly cost?

probably better if each guild does it. similar to the realmplayers donations too.

I had the same idea.
I thought about a serious GuildMaster who could contact the guilds and collect their contributions to do the final one then.

more simple,
Get an agreement with a well known streamer to get this process :
Players -> Streamer -> OVH
This is a good idea imo

funny idea too :
April : <Blacklisted> and <Renaissance>
June : <Phoenix> and <Genesis>
July : <Dreamstate> and <Les Tontons flingueurs>
etc
something approuved by a pool of guilds.

w/e the possibilities are hudge
<Phoenix>
Nyarko
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Hammersplat » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:33 am

Noxm wrote:I think we need just one guys to host the crowfounding part. Sethzer may be a really good choice. Let see if he is ok.

In my opinion split donation into guild is bad idea its offer multiple chance to get scam.

on rebirth the person who hosted the crowdfunding part stole 13k, they were a trusted long standing member of the community.

I like the idea of guilds doing this. The idea of making it in small amounts means only a small amount can be stolen. Less risk.

The total could be updated on your guilds website and even if it took 2 - 3 months for the total to be achieved it means small donations can be made.

I like the idea that the money does not pass through Nostalrius' hands. This is is the best option for least corruption.
Hammersplat
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Diametra » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:42 am

Can we stop thinking about whom we would entrust with funds, and concentrate on the mechanism by which funds would be collected, held, and disbursed.
Diametra
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by venven » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:47 am

The chosen person could host a monthly crowdfunding to minimise the risk, using this website/app for example:
https://www.lepotcommun.fr/?fromBankeez - available in English, French, Spanish & Italian.
Rogue IG & IRL.
venven
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Darkwinjax » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:48 am

fix reflectors, rocket helm, magic dust, improved shadowbolt , shadow resistance

make chinese server

fix bg queue system

listen to the pvp community for once

then i'll donate.
lookin like a school shooter when i walk into these halls
Darkwinjax
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Balgair » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:52 am

Could we have some clearer info on the total costs involved? The link to one piece of hardware isn't very informative without the full information on just how many pieces of hardware are required - is it just two (one for each server)? I'd imagine not, given the clustering talks, so, how many in total (preferably separated by server if they aren't the same number)? Easier to figure out practicalities if we have a true idea of the full extent which is required.

Also, can we choose which server to donate to? I'm sure players on both servers would rather pay towards their own server than the other one.
Balgair
Private
Private

by Imbaslap » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:55 am

sorry but many players wont donate to 1 person that isn't directly part of the server management. after what happened to The Rebirth and how the main guy who hosted the server ran away with $15,000 worth of donations. personally no one in my guild or others from that server could trust 1 person again.
I like the idea that we have the option to pay 1 months worth and can receive a receipt of the payment we choose. however, we still need a form of payment method to collect the funds and prevent scamming.

patreon and go fund me were good examples.

40 guilds donating = 40 months of playtime. 1 guild donates 1 month worth.

the problem is that people who choose not to help or donate or a guild that doesn't want to only hinders the entire server. this has draw backs in itself but the possibility of someone scamming $15,000 worth of donations over $275 seems like a lesser risk to me. considering I trust my guild members and people I play with more than someone mentioned on the Nost forums, I think this would be more ideal for our guild. it would be a nice idea for others to consider as well if you trust your guildies and such.

we still have till april to figure something out, and by no means should anyone be forced to donate or guild. its more of a collaboration of players.

(personally, I think china should help too since they make up the majority of the server's population).

just keep posting ideas/methods/ways and come back in a few days to see what sounds legit. it's obvious we still want more info from the staff on certain things too.
Imbaheals
<Blacklisted Raid Leader>
Local Horde Kidnapper of Tarren Mill.
Rift Allstar Cleric 2011-2013
World 1st and 2nds with guilds Addiction/Blackout/Babytown/Trinity.
https://www.youtube.com/user/imbaslap/videos
Imbaslap
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by chookchan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:09 am

While I understand you wish to maintain transparency, I don't believe its the correct approach.
Option 1 (the proposed current model):
Assumption -The community needs to direct their donations to a single entity that is held in trust by another person (most likely a player or community member), who then pays a lump sum to the service provider per month.
Issue -The community places hundreds of dollars in the hands of a person who has no obligation to pay this bill every month. We rely solely on the fact that his person will act in good faith. If the funds were to be mismanaged, Nostalrius would have to pay from their own pocket.
Benefit -Nostalrius becomes financially independent.

Option 2
(the old model):
Assumption -The community donates directly Nostalrius, who use any / all funds provided to pay the costs to run the server.
Issue -Nostalrius is seen by the community as fat cats who are probably using all these funds to pay for penthouses and sports cars.
Benefit -The community is easily able to contribute at any point to the server, whom is least likely to mismanage the funds as they are still obligated to pay for the server costs each month up until (hopefully never) the server is shutdown.

Option 2 in my opinion is much simpler, and from a player point of view I don't really care whether or not Nostalrius is financially independent.
Do you really believe the community worries about financial independence? Most of us prioritise the continued operation and functionality of the server.
Beware Verycoolguy, hired by Mr Stormwind himself to slay the pitiful horde of durotar
https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37506
chookchan
Grunt
Grunt

by Nothing » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:13 am

Am I missing something? Wouldn't it be easier for you just to accept payments/donations directly to yourself and then buy the hardware yourself? Or something along those lines. I think you're going to have a hard time getting people to trust each other enough to send money back and forth...I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

I respect the fact you don't let people buy content no matter how big or small and for that fact alone I'm willing to chip in but I am 100% not giving my money to a random guy in the hope he buys the hardware.
Nothing
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Nano » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:15 am

The purpose of decentralizing donations to Nostalrius was to avoid having to give money to someone you don't know or trust. It also removes us from touching any money whatsoever.

We don't recommend you anoint someone to oversee all donations to pay for server upkeep, rather, we recommend you work with your in-game group that you know (your guild) or do it personally if you want to donate at all. The only reason we said something about grouping together is that we know many people wouldn't have the resources to pay the full amount but would want to donate a portion of it. If you don't feel comfortable with this process, you can continue to enjoy the server as you always have.
Please report any issues you have to the Bugtracker
Nano
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements