Financial Announcement

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: Financial Announcement

by Noxm » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:19 am

chookchan wrote:While I understand you wish to maintain transparency, I don't believe its the correct approach.
Option 1 (the proposed current model):
Assumption -The community needs to direct their donations to a single entity that is held in trust by another person (most likely a player or community member), who then pays a lump sum to the service provider per month.
Issue -The community places hundreds of dollars in the hands of a person who has no obligation to pay this bill every month. We rely solely on the fact that his person will act in good faith. If the funds were to be mismanaged, Nostalrius would have to pay from their own pocket.
Benefit -Nostalrius becomes financially independent.

Option 2
(the old model):
Assumption -The community donates directly Nostalrius, who use any / all funds provided to pay the costs to run the server.
Issue -Nostalrius is seen by the community as fat cats who are probably using all these funds to pay for penthouses and sports cars.
Benefit -The community is easily able to contribute at any point to the server, whom is least likely to mismanage the funds as they are still obligated to pay for the server costs each month up until (hopefully never) the server is shutdown.

Option 2 in my opinion is much simpler, and from a player point of view I don't really care whether or not Nostalrius is financially independent.
Do you really believe the community worries about financial independence? Most of us prioritise the continued operation and functionality of the server.

Can someone with good english make a http://strawpoll.me/ about the two proposals ?
Nostalrius PvP -
Noxm - <Core Raider of Emphasis>
Alt : Noxmk - Noxmq
Noxm
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Diametra » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:21 am

This is all true Chook. Agree with all of it, I'm thinking the way this was presented, option 2 isn't an option. If it somehow is, I believe we would all have no problem with Nostalrius handling the money as they have been all along.

If it is not, I'm suggesting we find an arrangement by which trustees aren't holding money at all, they're merely gatekeepers. No funds collected til funds are due (3 months out), and no option to change the direction of payment other than the infrastructure.

I haven't found a crowdfunding source that can be set up in this way yet, but I'm working on the asumption such a thing exists.

As I said earlier we would need our own transparency and reporting as well. I suggest we stop thinking of whom we should entrust and discover how this can be done.
Diametra
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Mryul » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:32 am

come on.. nobody cares about what we think. it's for legal reasons. don't be stupid.

you can stop mentioning that "option 2", please and thank you
Mryul
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Diametra » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:33 am

Of course, we will need someone to respond from staff, is it an option for us to vote nostalrius back in to the position of funds management? : )
Diametra
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Cousy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:35 am

Diametra wrote:Of course, we will need someone to respond from staff, is it an option for us to vote nostalrius back in to the position of funds management? : )

Since apparently you can't read...

Nano wrote:The purpose of decentralizing donations to Nostalrius was to avoid having to give money to someone you don't know or trust. It also removes us from touching any money whatsoever.

We don't recommend you anoint someone to oversee all donations to pay for server upkeep, rather, we recommend you work with your in-game group that you know (your guild) or do it personally if you want to donate at all. The only reason we said something about grouping together is that we know many people wouldn't have the resources to pay the full amount but would want to donate a portion of it. If you don't feel comfortable with this process, you can continue to enjoy the server as you always have.
Cousy
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Diametra » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:37 am

Since you can't read: This is all true Chook. Agree with all of it, I'm thinking the way this was presented, option 2 isn't an option.

Please don't do stuff like this with this thread. it's too important. I'm trying to officially end such ideas. Help put this thing together not make it a shitpostfest.
Diametra
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Sharax » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:46 am

You guys are complicating this unnecessarily.

One nice member pays the server maintenance with his own cash. We see the bill has been paid. Nice member then sets up a contribution site with the funding goal being a 100% reimbursement of what he initially paid. Done.

No worries that someone will scam you as what you donate will just be reimbursing someone who,has already paid the bill.
@CharaxS
Sharax
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Noxm » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:52 am

Sharax wrote:You guys are complicating this unnecessarily.

One nice member pays the server maintenance with his own cash. We see the bill has been paid. Nice member then sets up a contribution site with the funding goal being a 100% reimbursement of what he initially paid. Done.

No worries that someone will scam you as what you donate will just be reimbursing someone who,has already paid the bill.

Fabulous and best idea :)

Who have some balls now ?
Nostalrius PvP -
Noxm - <Core Raider of Emphasis>
Alt : Noxmk - Noxmq
Noxm
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Diametra » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:57 am

I mean...it looks nice on paper. But this person would have to come up with the payment for three months out for an amount we don't even know. I'm guessing that it wouldn't be an insignificant amount, but an amount most of us would be unlikely to afford.
Diametra
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by chookchan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:07 am

Sharax wrote:You guys are complicating this unnecessarily.

That's a wonderful idea, all we need is somebody who is willing to be a couple hundred dollars in debt every month.
Beware Verycoolguy, hired by Mr Stormwind himself to slay the pitiful horde of durotar
https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37506
chookchan
Grunt
Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements