Financial Announcement

Nostalrius official announcements

Financial Announcement

by Daemon » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:05 pm

Dear community,

As some of you may have already noticed, the hidden donation link within our forum has been removed a few weeks ago. This means that we'll no longer accept any further donations whatsoever. All the funds donated have been used to pay for the current hardware upkeep as far as it could, with additional fund provided by ourselves to match the needs.

Before the server got as popular as it now is - and has been for months - we used part of our money to maintain it, resulting in a no-donation and no-shop server. Because of the increasing popularity and influx of the thousands of new players, we've had to loan new hardware that was much more expensive than our original one. This led to the server upkeep becoming too expensive for us alone. As a consequence, we provided you with a donation link, allowing players to donate to the project if they wished so, with the implicit knowledge that they would not receive any advantage nor rewards for doing so, merely the knowledge of supporting Nostalrius. We were ashamed of this situation even though it was necessary, because it was against what we wanted in the beginning. This explains why the link wasn't promoted on the website or in any of our public media venues.

This is going to change now.

We are going to provide you with the direct link to our hosting provider, so you can support all of the infrastructure that the Nostalrius Begins project needs, putting the staff officially outside the loop of upkeep, allowing us to once again become independent of the financial constraints. For now, only one link will be provided: all the other links will be provided during the following weeks. As always, financial participation in the server renewal won't give any privilege apart from the fact that the server will still continue to run thanks to your help.

Registering a server for additional time is like paying a service: the money requirement per month is fixed. We'll provide you a status of the date where the corresponding server won't be available anymore in order to have a clear view of where upkeep effort need to be focus on. By definition, a hardware should not be paid for more than 3 months.

We are taking this step forward in order to be 100% transparent when it comes to funding and to allow us to focus on what we love: developing for the future.

If you believe we personally need money for what we have achieved and what we do, you are wrong. Our only goal is for players to stay in the World of Warcraft universe and immerse themselves in the lore that we all love, rediscovering Azeroth and all its content the way it was 10 years ago, and maybe, to start playing on retail for the current and future expansions. Seeing you playing & enjoying the server is our only reward and our only ambition. This choice is not an easy one for you, the players, as it will require some organization to handle the upkeep each month, but it will allow the community to have more knowledge regarding how things are moving backstage in terms of upkeep, the architecture and realizing what you should and can expect from a Legacy server.

The organization requirement comes from the fact that our provider requires a single transaction. Thus it will not be possible for players to donate a few periodical Euros/Dollars here and there, rather it will be necessary for players to group together and find a trusted "foreman" to handle said transaction. An organization in France is proposing "cobanking" allowing multiple players to provide fund to a trusted one. If you know a company/website with similar method of funding, feel free to provide it so we can add it in this post.

(see the links below)

We sadly couldn't find a way to translate these pages into english. Duration is the first choice "1 mois" stands for 1 month. Then press the "Valider" (validate) button, and then choose the paiement service you want.

Note1 : Since we are hosted in France, you can only pay for the hardware in euros (€).
Note2 : Be aware that providing the link related to our hardware only allow people outside the staff to get access to hardware information & funding, nothing else. The link given is the most expensive hardware in our upkeep.

Best regards,
Nostalrius.

Expiration dates and links.
Updated 20th March 2016.
Hardware should not be paid for more than 3 months ahead of the current date.
Hardware #1 - 275€ / month - 19th June 2016
Hardware #2 - 125€ / month - 18th May 2016
Hardware #3 - 14€ / month - 7th June 2016
Hardware #4 - 10€ / month - 16th June 2017
Links removed, see here
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42654
* Once you have paid on any of these links, please send a PM to Daemon or Viper, to allow us to update the expiration dates*
Daemon
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Financial Announcement

by Simonich » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:15 pm

I see, interesting, thank you, Nostalrius!
Was good to have you all

Hail The Red Dawn <3
Simonich
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Dreez » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:20 pm

A commendable decision, however that's going to be interesting...
what about fundraising websites?
https://www.crowdrise.com/fundraise-and ... e-personal
Last edited by Dreez on Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreez - PvP server
<Endzeit>
Dreez
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by chookchan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:22 pm

It looks like it only takes one large payment for the hardware, rather than smaller individual donations,
I could be wrong as I don't understand French, but does that mean we're not able to all pitch in together?
Beware Verycoolguy, hired by Mr Stormwind himself to slay the pitiful horde of durotar
https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37506
chookchan
Grunt
Grunt

by Youfie » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:37 pm

chookchan wrote:It looks like it only takes one large payment for the hardware, rather than smaller individual donations,
I could be wrong as I don't understand French, but does that mean we're not able to all pitch in together?

Yeah, that's what is said in French :/. Kinda sucks, maybe Daemon linked the wrong page or something, or that will change in the near future, don't know.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Dreez » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:42 pm

Youfie wrote:
chookchan wrote:It looks like it only takes one large payment for the hardware, rather than smaller individual donations,

Yeah, that's what is said in French :/. Kinda sucks, maybe Daemon linked the wrong page or something, or that will change in the near future, don't know.

Daemon wrote:The organization requirement comes from the fact that our provider requires a single transaction. Thus it will not be possible for players to donate a few periodical Euros/Dollars here and there, rather it will be necessary for players to group together and find a trusted "foreman" to handle said transaction. An organization in France is proposing "cobanking" allowing multiple players to provide fund to a trusted one. If you know a company/website with similar method of funding, feel free to provide it so we can add it in this post.

in case you have missed the important part
Dreez - PvP server
<Endzeit>
Dreez
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Botmaster5 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:48 pm

So 1 year = $3646.03 at the current exchange rate, after tax.
@10k people, with everyone giving $1, that should keep the server up through the planned TBC expantion.
<Titans of War> Xashe
"Behold those who have power, and who are not afraid to wield it. Behold... the warlocks!" - Gul'dan
Botmaster5
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by XxGokuxX » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:51 pm

It seems like the easiest way to handle this would be to setup a gofundme for nostalrius and then have the person who handles the gofundme just pay at the end of each month.

I'd set it up if people were interested (pm me), although I kind of hope somebody more well known in the community would do it.
Last edited by XxGokuxX on Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
XxGokuxX
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Guybrush » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:51 pm

I still don't understand why you're so ashamed of taking donations for race / looks change or event minipets.

Its harmless to the server and it would easily fund the 300$ per month.
Guybrush
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Botmaster5 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:53 pm

Guybrush wrote:I still don't understand why you're so ashamed of taking donations for race / looks change or event minipets.

Its harmless to the server and it would easily fund the 300$ per month.

if they start taking money, they put themselves in Blizzard's lawyer's crosshairs. especially a server this sized
<Titans of War> Xashe
"Behold those who have power, and who are not afraid to wield it. Behold... the warlocks!" - Gul'dan
Botmaster5
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Announcements