Website & forum behaviors

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: Website & forum behaviors

by Colezz » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:25 pm

how can i change my password if my account has no email attached?
Colezz
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Robotron » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:28 pm

I'd like some clarification on the country lock feature.

1) Is it automatically in place, or do we have to toggle it? If so, how?

2) What if people travel and want to play their account in a different country? I'm Canadian, but what if I go to America for a week and end up wanting to play there?
Robotron
Champion
Champion

by Noxm » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:31 pm

Robotron wrote:
2) What if people travel and want to play their account in a different country? I'm Canadian, but what if I go to America for a week and end up wanting to play there?

You are not force to use this feature.
Nostalrius PvP -
Noxm - <Core Raider of Emphasis>
Alt : Noxmk - Noxmq
Noxm
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Robotron » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:43 pm

Then how does one enable the country lock?
Robotron
Champion
Champion

by Noxm » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:49 pm

lean to read :

RESET YOUR PASSWORD OR CHANGE ACCOUNT IP LOCKS

https://en.nostalrius.org/password
Nostalrius PvP -
Noxm - <Core Raider of Emphasis>
Alt : Noxmk - Noxmq
Noxm
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Flanger » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:14 pm

Imbaslap wrote:https://twitter.com/NostalBegins/status/711227799923597313

more security features for players it seems.
still waiting on the big forum announcement though.
not sure how this affects VPNs or anything like that.

That is great!
I just locked my acc to my static IP. Be careful though, if you are running xDSL/PPP kind of connection, you most likely receive IP from dynamic pools.
Flanger
Tester

by Dreez » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:35 am

Robotron wrote:2) What if people travel and want to play their account in a different country? I'm Canadian, but what if I go to America for a week and end up wanting to play there?

it's going to work the same way as the reset password feature, as long as you have access to the associated email address you are able to change where it's locked to
Dreez - PvP server
<Endzeit>
Dreez
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by ettubrut » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:17 pm

TLDR: Ok this process is not working [at least for me].

I have three accounts for my three characters. This was a simple precaution I took after my first entry to the Badlands many moonkins ago and discovering the herb nodes that do and don't exist at the same time. I saw how many people were being reflexively permabanned for node issues and so decided tying all my characters to the one account was not smart. It had the additional benefit that if one account was hacked (now clearly a thing) I wouldn't lose all the time I had put into the server.

I have gone through the reset password IP lock/unlock process with each account. None are, nor should be, banned accounts as verified for each separate account through the normal website login, going to 'Account' section and seeing the reassuring, albeit brief, Hello [character name] 'Enjoy your stay on Nostalrius!' message.

At actual login, all my accounts go through the normal handshaking, success!, select realm process. I select Nostalrius Begins PvP as I have always done. It then logs me onto the server, then it says Connected. Sounds great, then after a moderate period sitting on 'Connected' I go straight to Disconnected from server. I have a timer next to me and wait a minimum 90 seconds between each login attempt. I made it on ONCE with one toon within the last hour and a half. Once I make it on with one character it is impossible, no matter how many minutes I wait, to log on with another.

Multiple accounts are explicitly acknowledged as acceptable in the Terms of Use under section VI Mutliboxing where transfer of goods is one of several instances where reference is made to the acceptability of having multiple accounts. Of course, as English is the Nostalrius admins' second language - at least in most official communication - it is hard to know how much weight to place upon the interchanging use of the terms 'character' and 'account' in the ToU.

If multiple accounts from utilising the same IP is the issue then allow me to transfer my characters (the little cartoonish looking things I kill countless boars with) onto the same account (the much less exciting thing attached to a unique email address).

This game is a big enough time sink as it is without this extra bs. Please resolve this, I just want to play the god damn game not play silly buggers with some retrospective 'burden the people who didn't do the wrong thing' techincal boondoggle.

The issue of gold sellers hacking accounts, and the server's lax initial verification procedures (come on you don't even verify the email address) are an issue/fault that lies somewhere between:
  • the hacked account owners's lax (though hardly uncommon) decision not to use different credentials across different servers;
  • the gold sellers themselves (though build a lax system and they will come...);
  • and the server administrators (see last point in brackets).

My accounts, and my poor boar killing toons fit nowhere along that spectrum, yet right now I basically can't log on despite jumping through all the hoops.

Please, think of the boars living to old age as I type, and resolve this. Or at least check to see if there is some ongoing issue with multiple accounts not responding properly with the unlocked IP and 1 minute attempt timer.

PS this is a free service, at a foundational level there is a strong argument that none of us have any right to complain about anything server related (harrassment bullying etc are people issues and another matter altogether). In this spirit please forgive any edginess in my entreaty. If anything, please see it as a somewhat backhanded compliment, if you guys weren't doing such a good job overall, then I wouldn't be so frustrated.

ettubrut
ettubrut
Tester

by JCarrill0 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:38 pm

I still don't understand how/why they see ... banning players account as a way to stop hackers.. it only stops players from playing, not hackers from hacking.
JCarrillo - Highlord of <Heroes of Terenas>
JCarrill0
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by poodii » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:34 pm

Time for an official statement regarding the faulty bans?
poodii
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements