Nostalrius Final Days

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: Nostalrius Final Days

by Trainer7808 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:14 pm

40 every hour maybe. Just sitting here clicking F5 waiting.............
Trainer7808
Tester

by Comrade14 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:29 pm

Thefilth wrote:Repost if you check the forum 40 times per day to see if there's any update.

+1 :cry:
Comrade14
Private
Private

by themaze » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:35 pm

Here is an idea how to save the server
In Theory it is easy. Everybody pays 5$. If 60 000 members pay, then the cash will be 300 000$. The Nostalrius team can buy the rights. There is just one problem, you cannot go into a shop and buy a nostalrius game card :)
themaze
Tester

by Crusser » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:40 pm

I was planing to go back for legion but now that blizz did this i wont its not much as it wont bring the server back and it wont hurt the money making of blizz but thats all i can do in protest of what they did!!!
Crusser
Tester

by metagame » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:40 pm

themaze wrote:Here is an idea how to save the server
In Theory it is easy. Everybody pays 5$. If 60 000 members pay, then the cash will be 300 000$. The Nostalrius team can buy the rights. There is just one problem, you cannot go into a shop and buy a nostalrius game card :)

Unless you somehow convince 60,000 people to learn how Bitcoin works, donating $5 will leave a paper trail of direct monetary support for what is most likely an illegal operation in their country of residence. I realize that the laws are not clear everywhere on IP issues and that some countries are totally cool with what Nostalrius set up. Unfortunately, under the regressive IP system most of the western world is likely to punish you for siding with Nostalrius on this one. Especially if you're giving them money.

I was thinking about whether or not it would be the right move for the Nostalrius team to go the crowdfunding route gathering promised capital for an outright purchase of the license. Worst case scenario, Blizzard says no, everyone gets their money back.
Blockchain - night elf warrior
Meta - gnome warlock
metagame
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Vanillerific » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:15 am

You guys are insane if you think you could hand Blizzard some little miniscule amount of money for licensing rights to a game that they are still making bazillions on. It's a nice dream, but that would never happen. Best case scenario is Blizzard reverses the C&D and allows Nostalrius to continue doing their thing. Second best case is Blizzard announces legacy servers.

Surprisingly there is precedence for a giant gaming behemoth to just turn a blind eye and allow people to continue running their own private servers. Ultima Online, the grand daddy of MMOs was released in 1997 and has been emulated on private shards since at least 2000. The largest player run shard at the time was hosted in North America and was actually featured in a few gaming publications (although I'm having a hard time finding the articles now). Novus Opiate Seclorum was and still is the player shard that all the others try to emulate. Google the name and you will see that to this day there are tons of NOS clones out there...16 years later. NOS shut down because the admin grew tired of the project. It never perfectly emulated the era of UO that he was most fond of. No legal threats were made, etc.

Ultima Online is still a running, profitable, pay to play MMO to this very day and is owned by none other than EA. They have just never seemed to care about stomping out the private server community.
Vanillerific
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Robotron » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:45 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlLl9wMeb0c

*lights a candle and walks away*
Robotron
Champion
Champion

by gatsu07 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:08 am

i'm crying everyday and checking the forum :'(
gatsu07
Tester

by Babeer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:33 am

Dear GMs, and yet...Why are you giving up before the Blizzard? After all, you can just move the server to another country to another hosting. But still you decided to close the project. Maybe it's not only Blizzard is to blame in making decisions about Nostalrius? Or maybe we don't know about the closure of our beloved server?
Babeer
Tester

by alexpugs420 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:09 am

I havent logged on for about 1-2 months life stuff, but when I haerd this news, it broke my damn heart! How can they do this?! Eh, talking about blizz is another long topic. The least I could do is stop by, and say how thankfull Iam for what you had done for us, investing your time, money, into us, into this magic project. At last, server might be down, but this community cannot be brought down easily. Thank you again!
alexpugs420
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements