Re: First official update since Nostalrius shutdown

by Leahs » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:54 am

I agree with Roadbl0ck completely.
Leahs
Grunt
Grunt

by Fair » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:54 am

It makes sense, as obviously with all the attention this has picked up it's not just about the Nostalrius server anymore and they're trying to take the best position from which to affect change at blizzard (if possible at all).

That being said I was really hoping this could go on :cry: much sad
Fair
Grunt
Grunt

by Snouk » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:13 am

Viper wrote:Regarding the future release of Nostalrius related data; we confirmed that we will *not* be officially endorsing any private server. We have the idea and sense that Nostalrius can no longer live if Blizzard does not accept it. Nostalrius was a fan made project; therefor, hiding it in offshore countries to continue against the original game creator would be a transgression of our principles, of the reasons why Nostalrius existed in the first place.

A private server is by essence against the original game creator and totaly forbidden by blizzard since the beginning. They can't close all the servers but their politic is very clear on it for a long time. Everybody knows it, especially those who own these servers.

By the way, you, the team of Nostalrius, achieve something very impressive and your investment and politic have created maybe one of the best server ever seen. It's maybe too early to make a real decision for your future now, maybe wait to see how things will evolve is a better option.

But if you take your retirement, you shouldn't share publicly your source code and datas. All this hard work shouldn't be accessible by people who don't deserve it, but only people who really share your vision of Nostalrius and will be able to give back all your work as it should be.
Last edited by Snouk on Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Snouk
Private
Private

by Gangsta9 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:19 am

We have the idea and sense that Nostalrius can no longer live if Blizzard does not accept it. Nostalrius was a fan made project; therefor, hiding it in offshore countries to continue against the original game creator would be a transgression of our principles, of the reasons why Nostalrius existed in the first place.

I mean, you all knew that it is against Blizzard´s blessing when you started to develop the server.
Did you really think they are willing to accept this?
It seems to me, that they threatened you and therefore you have decided to give up.
I really love you guys and i am sending you all my thoughts and energy to stand against it!
One morning, when Gregor Samsa woke from troubled dreams,
he found himself transformed in his bed into a horrible vermin.
Gangsta9
Private
Private

by Apoxiosis » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:26 am

I've tried being constructive on the forums, I made a very civil post, which was deleted within 3 minutes.
You Can't Out-Threat the Ret.
Apoxiosis
Tester

by Sheldon » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:36 am

Goodbye, Nostalrius.
Sheldon
Tester

by Jawohl » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:37 am

Some of you might not know the full scale background-story on the lawsuit, but we are speaking of two man with career and families.

Accusing them for " 180 degree " direction change or " retreat " is quite unfair. They are underdogs because few major reasons, and they would literally be torned apart if they would force this down to the court.

They are simply being careful and wize, choosing the ground where and how to fight instead of rushing into "glorious defeat".
twitch @ lametwitch
Jawohl
Sergeant
Sergeant

by onura » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:48 am

So you are keeping most of the server software for yourself. Is that mean you are planning to continue and make another server?
English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
onura
Private
Private

by flodgrodan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:50 am

I could have been 60 on some other server by now if i wasn't stupid enough to hope for this.
flodgrodan
Tester

by Vanillerific » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:53 am

This isn't the first community that Blizzard has dismantled. Google around and read about bnetd, blizzhackers, and some of the earlier WoW emulator projects (emulators not private servers running on them). Blizzard had some of them so afraid of impending legal action that they surrendered their source code completely. Luckily the fate of this community hasn't gone unnoticed.
Vanillerific
Sergeant
Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements