I think there will be no source code for us
They are cowards and liars
No insult - just facts
PadreWoW
Tester

Re: Situation update - 1st May 2016

by Snibb » Fri May 06, 2016 6:03 pm

AiinzOuroGoon wrote:
Snibb wrote:Well, it's all speculation until after the meeting, including what I think will happen. (also, if you've been following twitter, there isn't a set date yet, so how do you expect them to give you a date that doesn't exist yet?)

If it even exists at all...there's a part of me that thinks the meeting date will be left hanging, conveniently until the fuss has all died down and until after Legion releases..."

Yeah, certainly possible. I hope not though!
Snibb
Tester

by nagroth » Fri May 06, 2016 6:24 pm

AiinzOuroGoon wrote:
Snibb wrote:Well, it's all speculation until after the meeting, including what I think will happen. (also, if you've been following twitter, there isn't a set date yet, so how do you expect them to give you a date that doesn't exist yet?)

If it even exists at all...there's a part of me that thinks the meeting date will be left hanging, conveniently until the fuss has all died down and until after Legion releases. Then it's "oh look, no-one seems to want legacy servers anymore so we have no incentive to create or licence it. Now be a good boy and don't release that code/data, as we now know what you look/sound like as well as your names and where you live etc."

Yeah i feel like this may be the case. Blizzard wants them to come to be "ambassadors" but I feel they will be walking into a room filled with high paid lawyers. "If u release that source code we will make your life hell" will probably be most of the conversation.
nagroth
Tester

by Wryshu » Fri May 06, 2016 10:31 pm

If they release the code and database today, we could all be playing again tomorrow. There is no need for Blizzard.
Wryshu
Grunt
Grunt

by taran99 » Sat May 07, 2016 4:52 am

Wryshu wrote:If they release the code and database today, we could all be playing again tomorrow. There is no need for Blizzard.

I'd still rather play official classic servers. Releasing the code would make blizzard likely back out, but the last thing nostalrius needs is _another_ law suit for not complying with the gpl license.
taran99
Tester

by unixtreme » Sat May 07, 2016 10:09 am

bestsugardaddy wrote:if vanilla servers return with a periodic payment i wont be returning. nostalrius was free one of the reasons it had a great player base.

Sorry but not everyone is as cheap as you are, and people that say "I just pay cause it's free" are part of the problem, because if people like that didn't exist and Blizzard knew they would get a return they would've done it long time ago.

I know many people (basically everyone I met during vanilla times) that would come back and happily pay 15 a month god I would even pay 30 I don't give a crap, just having server stability and knowing that the server won't be just randomly shutdown tomorrow losing all my progress is worth it to me.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't mind dumping money in stuff I love, and the only way you can tell companies what you love is not on whining on forums, it's with your wallet.
unixtreme
Tester

by Nohansen » Sat May 07, 2016 12:13 pm

Just shut up and wait for the meeting, omg...
Nohansen
Private
Private

by Redcap » Sat May 07, 2016 4:28 pm

DrownedBurrito wrote:You'd have a reasonable point here if not for the fact that Blizzard in the end are the ones who have rights to everything relating to WoW including different servers hosting their game. Nostalrius's obligation to Blizzard far outweighs any obligation to any other community if you really want to get technical with it. They're choosing not to release the Nostalrius data in good faith that Blizzard will cooperate in bringing in official legacy servers, which trumps any and all private WoW servers.

It's like arguing that thief A has an obligation to share stolen goods with thief B who helped them steal it, even though thief A gets offered a potential deal with the original owner of the goods if they don't share it with other thieves. That's essentially what you're arguing.

If you're unwilling to educate yourself involving US consumer protection laws involving music, video, and computer media involving use and ownership then I can't really help you. While Blizzard might write out a set of terms and conditions involving the use of their product, next to none of it is legally binding excepting the portions maintained by the courts. In your ignorance you are currently inventing legal rights for Blizzard that do not currently exist.
Redcap
Sergeant
Sergeant

by naapsuland » Sat May 07, 2016 5:22 pm

bestsugardaddy wrote:if vanilla servers return with a periodic payment i wont be returning. nostalrius was free one of the reasons it had a great player base.
also curious, if blizzard agrees to release vanilla servers, does that mean they made the wrong decisions that ruined the game

agree
naapsuland
Tester

by Zauxst » Sat May 07, 2016 6:50 pm

taran99 wrote:
Wryshu wrote:If they release the code and database today, we could all be playing again tomorrow. There is no need for Blizzard.

I'd still rather play official classic servers. Releasing the code would make blizzard likely back out, but the last thing nostalrius needs is _another_ law suit for not complying with the gpl license.

The thing is that this feels like some kind of bullshit that it's compared to what J. Alan Brak declared...

They can release the server source code w/o releasing the god damn DDOS protections or other server side scripts that really DON'T FALL UNDER THE GPL OF MANGOS... Or even more they could release those as well...
Zauxst
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements