Situation update - 1st May 2016

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: Situation update - 1st May 2016

by wrw01200 » Wed May 04, 2016 6:18 pm

Readcap, you wrote prefectly correct things with the only assumption you have failed to make!

That even that same thanking to an emulation community is not acceptance of code reuse fact! Neither by its sense nor by the form!

And the fact stays just fine: bulks of people played official World of Warcraft without a conscious notion of what makes them prone to this exact "pirated" server.

Blizzard may thank you and other participants for maintaining the interest for this particular patch for a no less a decade! And of course for that is still cannot compete ;) ;) ;) Maybe one shouldn't be too hurry those days?
Brighter, Smarter, Broader, Deeper, Unconditioned, Unconstrained...
RUSSIA always >> ALL the rest
[ you the next ^ ]
wrw01200
Private
Private

by Winterflaw » Wed May 04, 2016 7:02 pm

Redcap wrote:Nostalrius pledged to 'do the right thing' in releasing their latest patched version of the core. Nostalrius was under an obligation to do so to the Mangos crowd sourced project from which their base was taken.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

On one hand, it seems perfectly reasonable to argue that if we take an open source project and develop off of it, we should return those improvements to the original project - after all, the original project was given to us for free, by dint of other people's time and effort.

OTOH, if we take an open source project and then add our own time and effort, isn't that time and effort *our* property? the original developers *chose* to make their project open source, so others could use it. I do not see it *automatically follows* that *we must make the same choice*. The original developers have in fact already got what they wanted - other people are using and benefitting from their work.

I myself publish an open source library. It's been about eight years of work so far. I publish it *without* a license - I want people to use it as much as possible, for everything they can, for the good of all. I do *not* expect people to return any extra work and investment they have made - that was *my* choice, with *my* code.
Winterflaw
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Roadbl0ck » Wed May 04, 2016 7:59 pm

Deflect more.

"Nost crew chose to open their server to the public" hence we don't owe them anything by your logic.

Mangos is not without a license, it's GPL2.
Unfortunately my original forum account was locked out.
You can find my previous posts here.
Roadbl0ck
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Trixyy » Wed May 04, 2016 8:16 pm

Winterflaw wrote:
Redcap wrote:Nostalrius pledged to 'do the right thing' in releasing their latest patched version of the core. Nostalrius was under an obligation to do so to the Mangos crowd sourced project from which their base was taken.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

On one hand, it seems perfectly reasonable to argue that if we take an open source project and develop off of it, we should return those improvements to the original project - after all, the original project was given to us for free, by dint of other people's time and effort.

OTOH, if we take an open source project and then add our own time and effort, isn't that time and effort *our* property? the original developers *chose* to make their project open source, so others could use it. I do not see it *automatically follows* that *we must make the same choice*. The original developers have in fact already got what they wanted - other people are using and benefitting from their work.

I myself publish an open source library. It's been about eight years of work so far. I publish it *without* a license - I want people to use it as much as possible, for everything they can, for the good of all. I do *not* expect people to return any extra work and investment they have made - that was *my* choice, with *my* code.

just obtuse
Trixyy
Grunt
Grunt

by Malarr » Wed May 04, 2016 9:03 pm

Nevergrim wrote:Meh first i want to say gz to nostalrius team for the oportunity to become rich (or be played from blizzard), its good thing and i dont hate you guys. Second a statment that you are represenotors of the whole vanilla community is something i dont accept and i beleave alot of people dont accept too. The reason alot of people decided to support you is becouse u gave them hope nostalrius can be restored in other words "you may get your characters, guilds memories and moments back" no arguing about that read the petition over and over again and you will see its pritty straight said there. Let me remind you, you promised people to release the database .. oh wait you even MENTIONED the EUROPIAN LAWS for prvite bullshits and so on.... i guess u have forgoten already anyhow yes alot of people dont give a shit about the big picture and your future, we are greatful we had nostalrius but its over now for good. Something else: u already announced to the comunity u are not going to release the source code and the drabase (i guess the thing that blizzard wanted all the time, so for me blizzard kinda won). What if u dont manage to deal with blizzard (am sure u want but you WONT), u have no cards in your hand anymore u already annoucned u are going to do exactly what blizzard wants you to do, so nothing left for you i guess the nostalrius team is gonna feel special to meet blizzard (thats good thing ofcourse not being envious) .

In the end : I think alot of people will cancel thair support and second :) nostalrius was good server but servers like Kronos, Rebirth and so on still exists and being developed, you DONT REPRESENT US "you think you do, but you dont" it was bad move to misslead people, u promised something and now you decided to change your mind wich was really bad move trust me, there are alot who dont respect you anymore just because you promised them something so they can support you and now you do exactly the oposite thing, missleading the community YOU PRETEND TO REPRESENT. If u think i am wrong just observe the world chat of Kronos, Rebith and Valkyrie to see what people think about you now and than reconsider if u are still representor of this 250 000 people u just missled.

Kind regards

Nevergrim, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Malarr <Toxic> 60 Night Elf Hunter
Mazerr <Toxic> 60 Gnome Mage
Malarr
Private
Private

by Trixyy » Wed May 04, 2016 9:07 pm

Malarr wrote:
Nevergrim wrote:Meh first i want to say gz to nostalrius team for the oportunity to become rich (or be played from blizzard), its good thing and i dont hate you guys. Second a statment that you are represenotors of the whole vanilla community is something i dont accept and i beleave alot of people dont accept too. The reason alot of people decided to support you is becouse u gave them hope nostalrius can be restored in other words "you may get your characters, guilds memories and moments back" no arguing about that read the petition over and over again and you will see its pritty straight said there. Let me remind you, you promised people to release the database .. oh wait you even MENTIONED the EUROPIAN LAWS for prvite bullshits and so on.... i guess u have forgoten already anyhow yes alot of people dont give a shit about the big picture and your future, we are greatful we had nostalrius but its over now for good. Something else: u already announced to the comunity u are not going to release the source code and the drabase (i guess the thing that blizzard wanted all the time, so for me blizzard kinda won). What if u dont manage to deal with blizzard (am sure u want but you WONT), u have no cards in your hand anymore u already annoucned u are going to do exactly what blizzard wants you to do, so nothing left for you i guess the nostalrius team is gonna feel special to meet blizzard (thats good thing ofcourse not being envious) .

In the end : I think alot of people will cancel thair support and second :) nostalrius was good server but servers like Kronos, Rebirth and so on still exists and being developed, you DONT REPRESENT US "you think you do, but you dont" it was bad move to misslead people, u promised something and now you decided to change your mind wich was really bad move trust me, there are alot who dont respect you anymore just because you promised them something so they can support you and now you do exactly the oposite thing, missleading the community YOU PRETEND TO REPRESENT. If u think i am wrong just observe the world chat of Kronos, Rebith and Valkyrie to see what people think about you now and than reconsider if u are still representor of this 250 000 people u just missled.

Kind regards

Nevergrim, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A+ post and reference
Trixyy
Grunt
Grunt

by giggle2 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:20 am

Just plz legacy realms
giggle2
Tester

by Mapufa » Thu May 05, 2016 5:54 am

Hey guys,
I did not read all the stuffy up to this point in this thread. And most likely the thing I am wiriting is already postet at some point. But eventhough I would like to add my oppinion on what I would like the nostalrius team to get from blizzard.

Legacy Servers. I would like to see it like in Diablo 2 with Ladder Seasons.
To break this down an example:
Two legacy servers for each addon (TBC, Wrath etc..)
Server 1 (Vanilla) Seasonal
Server 2 (Vanilla) Not Seasonal
Server 1 (TBC) Seasonal
Server 2 (TBC) Not Seasonal
etc...

What this means:
Server 1 (Vanilla) is the seasonal server, this one does resett each year or all two years. The time frame is a bit flexible, should be fixed before setup though and not less than a year.
At this resett point players are able to transfer their chars (for free) onto either Server 2 (Vanilla), or to the next Addon, Server 1 (TBC) or Server 2 (TBC).

Yes this way eats up at least two servers per Addon, but it enables many ways of playing the game.
As for me personally I would love to play progressive and the seasonal type, I think there would be many that chose the same.
But on the other side there are many people who love their community and love to just tune in at some point over the time of four years or so, play their long loved char or raise up a new alt within the same environment (that would be best on the Not Seasonal Server).

With this system I think both parties could have what they want. And actually it should not be too much work to set into play, regarding what the nostalrius team could do. With all the money, hardware, manpower and connections that Blizzard has, it should be more than possible.

P.S.: Regarding the salty ones, there are always a few who feel themselfs betrayed because of a change of action. So far this has been not releasing the code, I think by doing so you can keep a card in your hand when meeting with Blizzard.
Also if contrary to all expectations Blizzard wont move a bit into directions of setting up Legacyservers, you still hold the option to release the code after all if you like to. But thats for the future to see^.^
Mapufa
Tester

by r00ty » Thu May 05, 2016 1:45 pm

Winterflaw wrote:OTOH, if we take an open source project and then add our own time and effort, isn't that time and effort *our* property? the original developers *chose* to make their project open source, so others could use it. I do not see it *automatically follows* that *we must make the same choice*. The original developers have in fact already got what they wanted - other people are using and benefitting from their work.

I think you contradict yourself a bit here. If you publish code with no license and you WANT people to do with it as they please. That is, adjust it without returning the code, making money from it without you seeing a penny or any benefit of postive changes they will make that is your choice.

However Mangos chose to apply a license where they do expect some return to the base source. That code was used and whether accepted or not it was used under that license. So, to not return the code goes against that license.

Now there's all kinds of arguments for and against that. And personally, I can't quite understand the mindset of someone that adjusts the code, doesn't return it but also doesn't make money from it. Is it purely just to see their name in lights? I'm not sure. But then again, many people don't understand why I give my free time contributing to an open source project. So, it just provides emphasis that we're all different.

What I don't think is right, is that you apply your opinion of how open source should be and use it as justification for ignoring the wishes of a different developer/development team.
Casual and proud.
r00ty
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Snibb » Thu May 05, 2016 5:50 pm

Everyone who's moaning about the Nost team not releasing the code needs to just sit and wait until after the meeting with Blizzard. Obviously you have no patience.
It's the logical thing to do as it is currently affording them the goodwill to meet with Blizzard. Sure Blizz might still meet with them if they do release the code, but why risk it?
With some of you though, using logic might be about as useful as farting in the wind.
Snibb
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements