World of Warcraft - Legacy servers survey

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: World of Warcraft - Legacy servers survey

by Winterflaw » Mon May 09, 2016 12:46 pm

Requires a Google account.

I'll see about making a burner. It's a pain though, Google have quite a bit of anti-spoofing going on.
Winterflaw
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Winterflaw » Mon May 09, 2016 12:47 pm

Rhook wrote:To be honest, IF i had to buy legion to play on legacy servers, i would not do it.
I already bought this game back in 2005 and i see no point why i should buy the same game which i have right in front of me somewhere in my desk again.
Or even more a game which i never want to play.

I may be wrong, but I think you're thinking of it in the wrong way.

Basically, to get stuff done requires wealth, to pay for people to do the work to get it done. The money you paid back in 2005 paid for the work done then. It doesn't pay for infinite work, and to get Vanilla up now requires work to be done. It has to be paid for, to be economically worth doing - to be profitable.

If it's not profitable, it won't be done. So it has to be paid for, so we gotsata pay now for it. *How* it's paid for is irrelevant - whether it's buying a copy of Legion or making a Paypal transfer to Bliz or whatever. Legion is probably just a very convenient way to get it done.
Winterflaw
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by zmandude24 » Mon May 09, 2016 2:19 pm

I personally think that legacy servers should be run like this:
  • You must have an active live account with the latest released expansion to play on a legacy server of any expansion.
  • The timeline is done the same way as it was back when that expansion was current and after that, reset the server and allow the characters at the end to be transferred to live servers or legacy servers of expansions past the one that they were on.
  • The e-store mounts are allowed on the legacy servers but you can only use them if you got the appropriate riding skill for it and it will still take up inventory space on vanilla and TBC servers.
  • There should be a 1.5k player cap per faction. If one faction is full but the other is not, the queue should start when the player logs into a toon in the full faction.
  • Everything gameplay related (as in raid mechanics when they weren't bugged, classes, attunements in vanilla/TBC) is kept the exact same as it was in the expansion it's running. However, if the legacy servers use the clients of the latest patches of the respective expansions (like most private servers), tweaking classes and mobs to emulate the previous patches of the server's expansion is fine as well.
  • Bosses that were excessively difficult in contrast to what was intended at the time if they weren't literally impossible to kill due to programming or design errors like C'thun, Vashj/Kaelthas, and T11 10 man heroic raids, do not count as prenerf and the fixed versions should be implemented.
zmandude24
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Djrapp3 » Mon May 09, 2016 2:48 pm

The biggest thing missing in world of Warcraft is the progressivism through the expansions. Rather than utilizing the older expansions the try and push you to the newest content. If they did create the legacy servers it would be better if you could progressively move through each game to bring the nostalgia back of each expansion. I.e. You play through vanilla wow after reaching top level of vanilla wow you are given the option to transfer your character from a vanilla server to a tbc server then once you reach top tier in tbc you are given the option to transfer again if you would like. But, if you do not want to transfer your character to the next expansion your progress would be haunted on that server so you can enjoy your favorite expansion at top tier without worry of the next expansions gear or level affecting your game play. This would make it so each expansion as you played through would be as it was originally released and also give you the option to try and get to the top tier of each expansion. If players wanted to stay at their favorite expansion this would also allow that because they would never take the option to proceed to the next expansion. The aspect of legacy and experiencing games that are no longer avalible means keeping the original content. I know some people wanted to add the achievement system in and other things but this takes away from the nostalgia. If people want to play with the achievement system when it was initially released they can simply play through the expansions until the "release" of the achievement system and then vault their gameplay at that point.
Djrapp3
Tester

by thiella » Mon May 09, 2016 4:04 pm

As others said already, I have no intention to pay again a monthly fee to Blizzard just to play the old content. Retail WoW is a complete different game now and I don't like it.

I was paying Blizzard for 5 years plus the cost of the expansions. I overpaid their services and I think I have the right to play the old content (the one I like) free. I don't want new content or other e-stores and such things. I saw the progression of WoW and the new content and I paid for it. I don't want the same course. I simply want the old content. Nothing more.

So I will play old WoW to any free private server that offers it.
thiella
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Winterflaw » Mon May 09, 2016 4:30 pm

thiella wrote:As others said already, I have no intention to pay again a monthly fee to Blizzard just to play the old content. Retail WoW is a complete different game now and I don't like it.

I was paying Blizzard for 5 years plus the cost of the expansions. I overpaid their services and I think I have the right to play the old content (the one I like) free. I don't want new content or other e-stores and such things. I saw the progression of WoW and the new content and I paid for it. I don't want the same course. I simply want the old content. Nothing more.

So I will play old WoW to any free private server that offers it.

I may be wrong, but I think you're asking for a free lunch!

Servers cost money, bandwidth costs money, staff cost money. This is why Bliz have a monthly sub. The servers have to be paid for - if they are not paid for, they cannot exist. The Nost team paid for the Nost servers - they were in effect giving us money each month. If you play on a private server without paying for it, someone else is in effect paying your sub for you, where they are paying for those servers.

You say you paid for retail when it was up - and indeed you did - and that paid for those servers to run over that time. That was then, this is now, new servers need new payments. Making *a* payment, or even a series of payments, does not command *infinite* work to be done.

You have also argued you *overpaid*, and so now you are looking for Bliz to return some of the balance to you. This is an argument of a different nature and it is odd to see it presented alongside an earlier argument which says you shouldn't have to pay at all. If you think you shouldn't have to pay, why would you care if Bliz overcharged or not? I end up feeling like you're looking to justify what you believe, rather than taking all the info and then figuring out what you think.
Winterflaw
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by thiella » Mon May 09, 2016 5:49 pm

As I said I don't want new content and I am not willing to pay 13 euro per month for the old content. The cost of a server to run the old content isn't that much. In fact 13 euro was way too much for the servers even for the old days. You have illusions if you think you paid a monthly fee only for the servers and the support cost. That is why I said I overpaid Blizzard for 5 years. Ofc I chose to pay them but I was also aware I was overpaying their services.

Now, I am willing to pay only for the cost of the server and some minimum support but this is not 13 euros/per month per player. And Blizzard will not charge only for the really cost. I am not willing to play again Blizzard's 'make me more rich' game. I will donate for a project like Nost but not the insane monthly cost that Blizzard demands for a content I don't like to play (their new expansions).
thiella
Sergeant
Sergeant

by 1234a » Mon May 09, 2016 6:24 pm

I think they try to blackmail us.
Something is suspicious in this news, like in the old one aswell
Nostalrius=Blizzard
I believe blizzard is trolling us, they simply wanna know if we're ready to pay more.
1234a
Private
Private

by Mickket » Mon May 09, 2016 6:57 pm

The form had some questions I was considering already. Most notably having an active subscription to play on vanilla/legacy servers and possibly buying Legion/Current Expansion to play on them. I completely agree with these questions.

Blizzard needs to know if it will be worth the amount of work to setup additional servers along with their battle.net infrastructure to support legacy clients. They could just fork in a WoW vanilla client somewhere on their site but that is not exactly up to their standards on product quality.

Unfortunately Blizzards WoW client is no where near being modular and requires a completely different client to each expansion server. That leaves them with not 1 but 2 clients that they need to maintain and that is not counting the possibility of legacy servers. As much as I would like to play for free, granted I've paid for Wow for 11 years, that won't happen unless they insert some sort of micro-transactions into vanilla servers. And the least I can do to support Blizzard for going ahead and setting up class/legacy servers is to maintain an active subscription and possibly buying Legion. And hey, if I manage to become bored here and there on vanilla servers I have an active subscription to simply hop onto live servers.

Their 'pristine' server pitch made me chuckle though. Mainly because all the things they mentioned about it are literally all backend things they can turn off with a button.
Mickket
Tester

by drabus » Mon May 09, 2016 7:16 pm

It is going to cost something to pay officially licensed Legacy servers in the future. Whether it is a subscription or a one-time fee, it is going to cost something. Even if they license the usage rights to the Nostalrius team, it will likely be sizable enough that Nost will have to charge for it.

What you get for that money is an officially sponsored server that is not at the mercy of being shut down by litigation, as well as the infrastructure and the support service. In other words, you get what you pay for.

If you are going the free-private-servers route, you'll have to deal with the possibility of it being shut down and/or poor service or performance.

Just my $0.02.
drabus
Sergeant
Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements