Meeting report from our post-mortem presentation

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: Meeting report from our post-mortem presentation

by St0rfan » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:16 pm

SikSan wrote:What a dramatical rhitoric change. They were so arrogant all this time with their "the code is lost", and "you think you do but you don't'", "pristine servers" etc. And now it appeared they're all dedicated vanilla lovers who want to establish legacy soooo much! KeK!

Ultimately its not important what they thought earlier. What's important is that they've seen the light and for that we should be thankful.
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by metagame » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:23 pm

Two main reasons Blizz can't simply license Nost:

1) Quality. Nost was high quality but there were bugs which are just annoying enough to deal with, but not up to today's gaming standards. Look at Blizzard's site compared to this one, and Blizzard's games compared to Nost, in terms of how many bugs and weird glitches happen. So their choice is between reading/evaluating mangoes code or bringing their old code up-to-standard, both of which will cost time and resources.

2) Security. This ties in to quality, but account security is a big deal. The website and game servers need to be secure enough that they can't be easily hacked. I'm not saying Nostalrius servers are easily hackable, or that the GMs are incompetent, but keeping a gaming community safe from hackers requires a team of 24/7 professionals monitoring and assessing new threats. Furthermore all of the source code of the game engine, game server, client, and website would need to be combed through carefully to make sure there was no exploits or huge gaps allowing an attack. Or, just like in point #1, they'd have to re-create all this stuff from scratch to ensure no security holes are in it to begin with.

Third lesser reason I would say is the idea of Blizzard's image being tainted by doing a small license deal. It would be a big hit to Blizzard's reputation to act like a mid-sized game company, many of which simply buy out or license other games because they don't have the resources to produce their own competitor. For example, Blizzard created HoTS from scratch instead of simply buying an already-exiting DoTA clone outright. Besides, from Nost's standpoint if they are employed to manage a vanilla server it's the same as working under a license except with all the benefits of being actual Blizzard employees. This is a better alignment of incentives for everybody.

tl;dr Blizzard needs to maintain code quality and integrity.
Blockchain - night elf warrior
Meta - gnome warlock
metagame
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Khayos » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:40 pm

http://kotaku.com/blizzard-talks-world- ... Socialflow

These articles that are popping up are showing that blizzards stance hasn't really changed, and they are just trying to shut us up with PR. Chilton says Someday it would be nice to do legacy. yea Someday. what in another 10 years. Pshhhh they have no intention of doing it. all they can do is whine like children, oh its hard, its challenging.

oh really? Challenging like when you had to MAKE wow in the first place, I doubt that. even if you have to recreate some data or assets, it cant be any where as hard or take anywhere as long, especially with the 12 years of experience they have. Secondly you know what is hard. Watching the game you love turn into the pile of dog crap that Modern WoW is.

They don't care about us, they don't even really care about Warcraft.

You know Nost, I was excited to read your update, it seemed like blizzard really cared, they really understood, or atleast were made to care and made to understand. But that just isn't the truth. they will hide behind smoke and mirrors of technical hurdles and difficulty, that you overcame with a tiny team, and even less data to help you engineer and they will never create these servers for us. We showed them demand, money, we spoke with our wallets, cancelled subs and preorders, boycotted products, and their answer is basically, fine, we don't want your money anyway.
Khayos
Private
Private

by drabus » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:52 pm

Khayos wrote:They don't care about us, they don't even really care about Warcraft.

I didn't take that message away from that article at all - I took the tone to be very positive. You interpret what you read how you want to, and you had to be looking for malice there - but I didn't see any.

In the end, this will be a business decision. If they find a business model that will make them money with acceptable risks, then it will move forward. If not, it won't. I'd bet at this point that we will get them within the next 18 months or so - but that is JUST A GUESS and a feeling.

I'm very happy with the way things are progressing. I'd love for it to be more tangible or quicker, but I'll be patient and I hope they pull together a quality product!
drabus
Sergeant
Sergeant

by DLXX » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:02 pm

tl;dr version ples
DLXX - DLXXY - WXL
DLXX
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Holmes » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:42 pm

St0rfan wrote:
SikSan wrote:What a dramatical rhitoric change. They were so arrogant all this time with their "the code is lost", and "you think you do but you don't'", "pristine servers" etc. And now it appeared they're all dedicated vanilla lovers who want to establish legacy soooo much! KeK!

Ultimately its not important what they thought earlier. What's important is that they've seen the light and for that we should be thankful.

well. the point is, do they really think this way now? or do they only want to make us think they think this way now?

you dont say "you think you do, but you dont" and then be like ohh yeaa, vanilla had been so cool, i wish there were legacy servers too!
Holmes
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Khayos » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:45 pm

drabus wrote:
Khayos wrote:They don't care about us, they don't even really care about Warcraft.

I didn't take that message away from that article at all - I took the tone to be very positive. You interpret what you read how you want to, and you had to be looking for malice there - but I didn't see any.

In the end, this will be a business decision. If they find a business model that will make them money with acceptable risks, then it will move forward. If not, it won't. I'd bet at this point that we will get them within the next 18 months or so - but that is JUST A GUESS and a feeling.

I'm very happy with the way things are progressing. I'd love for it to be more tangible or quicker, but I'll be patient and I hope they pull together a quality product!

I don't see malice, I see more of the same, whining. we don't care how long it takes, we just want to know will it or will it not be made reality. if we know that answer, we can be quite patient, otherwise it sounds like excuses. and the answers Chilton gave sound exactly the same as they always have been, so it sounds more like oh yea we loved it, but we still aren't doing it because its too hard. Perhaps they need a better way of saying its hard? perhaps a way that doesn't sound like the same old thing being told to us over and over?
Khayos
Private
Private

by WarCrow » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:28 pm

Thank you very much Nost Team! Thats all great news.
I would work for Blizzard for free to get Vanilla back again.
WarCrow
Tester

by gumby540 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:18 am

This is cool and all, but sounds like they're full of shit to me. And why the ass kissing to the guy who said "we think we do but we don't"? He has yet to apologize and fucking insulted us with the very statement of "pristine" realms.
Why get on your knees for these people?
In all seriousness they're trying to make a PR recovery and will do nothing, because it's "too much resources".
If you seriously think blizzard gives a damn, you're delusional.
gumby540
Grunt
Grunt

by Windowlícker » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:58 am

Irrespective of how this turns out, I'm just blown away that a petition online could spur a behemoth of a company like Blizzard to pay attention to its longtime hardcore audience; not to mention the guy that flew all the way from France to the West Coast just for this, that's some mad dedication right there.

Thanks for all your hard work, I hope we can make legacy a reality.
Zer0Gam3s wrote:Do not go gentle into that good night, you french fucks
Windowlícker
Private
Private

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements