Tanking

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Re: Tanking

by Theloras » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:12 am

St0rfan wrote:
Theloras wrote:
zmandude24 wrote:Warriors are your only choice if you want to tank full time. Druids, Paladins, and Shamans in tank spec are inferior to even a dps warrior with a 1H and shield. Vanilla has god awful class balance, but every class has something unique it can provide to a group.

Warriors are shite tanks in 5/10mans if more than 1 mob is pulled.

Consecration is lulz for AoE agro compared to TAB Targeting Sunders

It also takes twice as long with a warrior tanking compared to a Paladin

If a prot warrior got problems handling more than 1 mob he's simply a bad tank. Aoe tanking becomes difficult once you exceed 3-4 mobs. This is all situational ofcourse, depending on type of mob, gear of the warrior, Aoe Capabilities of the group etc. It should be noted that a few items out there makes Aoe tanking a breeze even for a warrior. I myself have no trouble at all tanking large packs as long as I use the following items:

- Skullflame shield + thorium shield spike.
- Thrashblade + Fiery enchant.
- Ramsteins lightning bolts.
- Hand of Justice.

Alternatives and additions to this list would be:

- Ironfoe (best aoe tank weapon appart for Thunderfury and thrashblade).
- Crest of Retribution (Drops from Ramstein.
- Nagelring.

you mean something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STIixkkOmms

:P
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by tunguska » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:53 pm

zmandude24 wrote:Warriors are your only choice if you want to tank full time. Druids, Paladins, and Shamans in tank spec are inferior to even a dps warrior with a 1H and shield. Vanilla has god awful class balance, but every class has something unique it can provide to a group.

This.. is simply not true. I can only speak for druids, but i can confirm that a properly geared/specced feral tank is definitely ahead of a DPS warrior with a shield, in BOTH aggro and mitigation.

A prot warrior is clearly superior to a druid in this aspect, but then again the feral druid is more useful as DPS than a prot warrior would be with DPS gear on.
tunguska
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Undertanker » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:56 pm

Ladies ladies, you're all pretty in your own special ways.

Tanking is situational, gear is situational, which class is better is situational.

I use 3 different shields, 2 different weapons, 3 cloaks, 3 chest pieces, 3 legs... Get the picture?

A pally, regardless of spec makes raid life easier when aoe tanking is needed. Even on MC imps, just put on your tank gear, fr aura ret aura from anoyher pally and lol it.

Can they taunt? No and it is only needed on certain bosses. If the other tank is warrior, pally doesnt need to taunt, the can keep threat without taking damage and get auto aggro after warrior is conflagged or wing buffeted.

Druids are gods gift to 20 man tanking, being able to solo bosses that would take two warriors due to shape shifting. And large hp pool make them good for bosses/mobs that do primary no. Physical damage.

Warriors excel at taking on the hardest hitters, simple as that.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Theloras » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:00 pm

Undertanker wrote:Ladies ladies, you're all pretty in your own special ways.

Tanking is situational, gear is situational, which class is better is situational.

I use 3 different shields, 2 different weapons, 3 cloaks, 3 chest pieces, 3 legs... Get the picture?

A pally, regardless of spec makes raid life easier when aoe tanking is needed. Even on MC imps, just put on your tank gear, fr aura ret aura from anoyher pally and lol it.

Can they taunt? No and it is only needed on certain bosses. If the other tank is warrior, pally doesnt need to taunt, the can keep threat without taking damage and get auto aggro after warrior is conflagged or wing buffeted.

Druids are gods gift to 20 man tanking, being able to solo bosses that would take two warriors due to shape shifting. And large hp pool make them good for bosses/mobs that do primary no. Physical damage.

Warriors excel at taking on the hardest hitters, simple as that.

^^^ This guy gets it ^^^

It's different strokes for different folks
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Mechanics and classes