Healing threat.

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Healing threat.

by Walthern » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:25 pm

Hello, I have noticed that if you cast renew on someone before they enter combat, you will still generate threat from it after they enter combat. I spent long time on my priest raiding in vanilla always used to cast renew before warrior pulled and got no aggro from that.
Is there any other things I should keep in mind that differ on Nost?
Walthern
Grunt
Grunt

Re: Healing threat.

by Crom » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:48 pm

I didn't heal during vanilla but it makes sense that your healing will generate threat even if you cast it before you entered combat. It's the actual healing that generates the threat not the initial cast. So if your tank doesn't generate some immediate threat and at the same time your renew ticks, you will pull aggro. I don't remember this working differently in vanilla tbh but as I said I didn't heal back then.
Crom
Grunt
Grunt

by Aslan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:25 pm

That goes for efficient heal, so per 1 efficient health point healed you get 0.5 threat (without modifiers). As for hots, I imagine you can overaggro when hotting the tank after he uses bloodrage which makes him take some dmg but in general, overheal causes 0 threat.
Scar - Endurance
Aslan - The tales of a Shaman...
Raid streams; As soon as the lag is adjusted (rip)
http://www.twitch.tv/scarnostalrius
Aslan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Armilus » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:34 pm

Walthern wrote:Hello, I have noticed that if you cast renew on someone before they enter combat, you will still generate threat from it after they enter combat. I spent long time on my priest raiding in vanilla always used to cast renew before warrior pulled and got no aggro from that.
Is there any other things I should keep in mind that differ on Nost?

You were probably playing with tanks that used blood rage, demo shout, thunderclap or battle shout to get at least a small amount of threat on every target.

In retail hots always caused threat as they healed, it just tends to be a much smaller heal than your direct heals.
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Stalk » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:57 am

This probably has to do more with common RPG mechanics. If the mob did not know that you put the healing spell on the tank before he initiated combat, it should not feel threatened by you. An enemy creature should only have knowledge of the threats in its environment so long as it has the ability to perceive it. If the buff was used on the target before combat was initiated, the enemy should not have knowledge of who is healing its initial aggro target. However, if Renew is casted on a target while in combat, the enemy should now know that a healer is starting to become a threat.

A similar problem exists with mobs that are Polymorphed, Stunned, Disoriented or Banished gaining threat from heals when they should not have the ability to perceive the events that are happening in front of them.
Stalk
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Walthern » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:46 pm

Stalk wrote:This probably has to do more with common RPG mechanics. If the mob did not know that you put the healing spell on the tank before he initiated combat, it should not feel threatened by you. An enemy creature should only have knowledge of the threats in its environment so long as it has the ability to perceive it. If the buff was used on the target before combat was initiated, the enemy should not have knowledge of who is healing its initial aggro target. However, if Renew is casted on a target while in combat, the enemy should now know that a healer is starting to become a threat.

A similar problem exists with mobs that are Polymorphed, Stunned, Disoriented or Banished gaining threat from heals when they should not have the ability to perceive the events that are happening in front of them.

Yes this.

To Crom:
You dont need to teach me threat mechanics, what im saying is It made sense like this when people raided in vanilla and blizzard specifically designed it like that. I dont mind it that much really but it is not blizzlike.
Another one is with stealth, you are taken out of stealth as soon as you are seen by mobs. You migh reason this to be ok but again it wasnt designed this way and I think this one is actually affecting gameplay.
Walthern
Grunt
Grunt

by Armilus » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:54 pm

Walthern wrote:To Crom:
You dont need to teach me threat mechanics, what im saying is It made sense like this when people raided in vanilla and blizzard specifically designed it like that. I dont mind it that much really but it is not blizzlike.

No.... this is exactly how it worked in vanilla and is 100% blizzlike.

Walthern wrote:Another one is with stealth, you are taken out of stealth as soon as you are seen by mobs. You migh reason this to be ok but again it wasnt designed this way and I think this one is actually affecting gameplay.

This is on the bug tracker and confirmed as a bug, it's not something they did intentionally.
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Stalk » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:28 am

Armilus wrote:No.... this is exactly how it worked in vanilla and is 100% blizzlike.

Please enlighten us, Sherlock Holmes.

You only generate threat (at all from anything) when you're flagged in combat, because otherwise you don't have an entry on the mob's threat table. Therefore pre-HoTting generates no threat on any non-Boss fight up till the point where you engage in combat. Bosses combat-pulse the instance so you're immediately on his table when the tank engages.

Source: http://www.plusheal.com/forum/m/1833799 ... threat-you
Stalk
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Walthern » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:15 pm

Stalk wrote:
Armilus wrote:No.... this is exactly how it worked in vanilla and is 100% blizzlike.

Please enlighten us, Sherlock Holmes.

You only generate threat (at all from anything) when you're flagged in combat, because otherwise you don't have an entry on the mob's threat table. Therefore pre-HoTting generates no threat on any non-Boss fight up till the point where you engage in combat. Bosses combat-pulse the instance so you're immediately on his table when the tank engages.

Source: http://www.plusheal.com/forum/m/1833799 ... threat-you

Yes, thanks for looking it up.

I dont think this is a big deal or game breaker but it would be nice if people didnt argue things they lack knowledge in with such zealousness.
Walthern
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to Mechanics and classes