Planning classes with out-of-raid content

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Planning classes with out-of-raid content

by Skyy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:27 pm

Hey guys. Firstly, apologies for the title, I hope it makes enough sense. I'll give you a bit of context as to why I'm making this thread before asking for any advice.

So briefly, I played a Lock to 32 on the PvP server a few months ago, and as I won't need to explain I rage quit in STV hehe ;) Now that I see there's a PvE server, I've decided it's a great time to come back! However, I need to be careful... On retail, vanilla+TBC ate my whole life. Now that I'm at Uni, I want to make sure that I'm not relying on raids to have fun, as I don't want to be the guy who has to rush his work or say no to meeting my friends because I've pre-decided to play a game. Don't get me wrong, I may end up raiding if I love my main and want to progress past t0.5, but it's not on my mind just yet. Don't worry, I'm fully aware that it'll take me ages to achieve things, but that's fine. Perfect actually, it means I have more content!

This in mind, I want a class that has plenty for me to do at my leisure. I'll write a few of my goals here so you may get an idea of how I plan to play. E.g.
-Reach 60
-Complete all class quests
-Acquire pre-raid BiS
-Acquire full t0.5
-Max 2 professions
-Complete "challenge modes" (DM Tribute/make up my own rules for an out of group thing)
-Re-roll / repeat

However, I'm struggling to pick my new class. I'm going to outline what I'm thinking in terms of each class, and hopefully people may be able to direct me further on if it's the one I should choose or not. To save you doing all the work, i'll try and order them from green (high chance) to red (not too sure), though I will include all classes in case I'm wrong about one. I am NOT asking for the BEST of any class, simply the one that provides enough content for out of raids.

Warrior
A handful of class quests while levelling. At 60 I can tank for any dungeon I need loot from. However, without much CC I fear that if I didn't like tanking I'd be stuck not being taken for 5-10 mans as I won't bring as much as someone else to the group.

Paladin
I don't want to be forced to heal if I que with other people. However, the class quests and their hybrid nature would give me plenty to get on with, such as gearing a BiS set for all 3 specs.

Hunter
I cba with the stupid food/ammo mechanics which is very off putting. However, hunter is a great class for the solo player as you play as 2 character in a way. Also, at 60, I would love to go for the epic bow/staff quest line, but I've heard about how contested the mobs are and how people will troll you if you tag "their" mob.

Shaman
Again, I don't want to play the health-bar-whack-a-mole game of healing, so ench/ele is my choice. I like windfury (who doesn't?) and there are plenty of class quests to keep me occupied. However, again I want to think about my 60 5 mans and wether or not it's worth it. I mean, back in vanilla, I saw countless instances of the group taking no healer just to say "Well, you're a shammy/druid/priest, so you're just gonna have to do it man."

Rogue
It seems like there's sod all for them to do in terms of class quests. Sorry, lockpicking, how fun. Saying that though, I imagine as a rogue I cna participate in literally any area of non-raid play I like and be very capable of my role.

Druid
As much as their hybrid nature and class quests tells me it'd be great, I'm not healing. Is there REALLY no place for non-resto druids past levelling?

Mage
Played a mage in TBC and loved the versatility. Great CC and vending machine powers make them valuable to bring along, their DPS isn't bad either. They can quest for a new polymorph and give any snareable elite a run for their money when played right.

Warlock
Torn. Warlock seems amazing. It has arguably the most class-content in game as far as I'm aware (demons+mount), it brings good damage and a wide range of utility in their pets and stones. However, like I said I levelled a lock to 32 on the PvP server and I'm getting vietnam flashbacks. I know it's a PvE server this time, but a part of me feels that if I'm going to pick lock, I may as well finish off my lvl 32 one.

Priest
I. Am. Not. Healing. Glad that's cleared up.I'd lvoe to go for benediction, but it feels like that would be the only thing I'd have in my goal for a priest, and not being willing to heal I'd be the very last person in the world to get the Eye.

So, that's my thoughts. As you can see, warrior/mage/lock are in the lead but I fear I'm overlooking things and simply being too picky, I'd love input from others. Both in terms of class choice, and the goals I'm setting myself, any input is welcome.

Thanks very much for reading.

EDIT: I'm sleepy and noticing I've written some silly mistakes, I'm sorry for any I missed editing out.
Skyy
Private
Private

Re: Planning classes with out-of-raid content

by Guanyin » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:45 pm

After playing the standard 31/5/15 arms/oftank warrior in retail vanilla I rolled holy priest in TBC. Never looked back ever since, healing is by far the most interesting role in the game. (my subjective opinion ofc)

That said, I have learned that many people dont like healing. I attribute this to not getting high damage numbers (PEWPEWPEW), having a hard time farming and/or being free honor walking around in the open World.

Warlock has as you said a lot of interesting class quests. It's also a class that can get into PUG-raids failry easy, and can solo a lot of stuff. Going by your post however, warlock is my advice number 2, after druid(!).

Druid, even if you disregard Moonkin has 3 sets of gear to collect,
resto (I know, you hate being useful)
cat (pewpew)
bear (tank)

In retail, at least one druid maintanked all the way to C'tun, and has been seen used in Nax as tanks. Nost players seems to be even more inclined to refuse "non-traditional" specs than it was in retail, but it might be a fun challenge.

Another perk of rolling druid is that you can easily start dungeon Groups as a tank, easily going around the whole healing-"problem".

If you get serious you will have to go out of feral forms in raids sometimes, as different encounters require different setups. but this only give you Another set to collect. (and you might even discover that resto really is the fun way of playing)

My 5 cents :)
Lillasyster - Holy Priest - Ill
Guanyin
Private
Private

by DrearyYew » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:10 pm

As long as you're not raiding, every spec is viable. Don't let raid elitism dictate what you want to play if you aren't going to raid.

Also, T0.5 won't be out until after AQ, which is at least 6 months for the PvP server, and longer for the PvE server.
Dreary - Human "Needs No Mana" Holy Paladin
DrearyYew
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Skyy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:30 pm

Guanyin wrote:After playing the standard 31/5/15 arms/oftank warrior in retail vanilla I rolled holy priest in TBC. Never looked back ever since, healing is by far the most interesting role in the game. (my subjective opinion ofc)

That said, I have learned that many people dont like healing. I attribute this to not getting high damage numbers (PEWPEWPEW), having a hard time farming and/or being free honor walking around in the open World.

Warlock has as you said a lot of interesting class quests. It's also a class that can get into PUG-raids failry easy, and can solo a lot of stuff. Going by your post however, warlock is my advice number 2, after druid(!).

Druid, even if you disregard Moonkin has 3 sets of gear to collect,
resto (I know, you hate being useful)
cat (pewpew)
bear (tank)

In retail, at least one druid maintanked all the way to C'tun, and has been seen used in Nax as tanks. Nost players seems to be even more inclined to refuse "non-traditional" specs than it was in retail, but it might be a fun challenge.

Another perk of rolling druid is that you can easily start dungeon Groups as a tank, easily going around the whole healing-"problem".

If you get serious you will have to go out of feral forms in raids sometimes, as different encounters require different setups. but this only give you Another set to collect. (and you might even discover that resto really is the fun way of playing)

My 5 cents :)

Ahaha, dude you've honestly opened my eyes to druid, something I never expected ^^ For me it was just how every fight felt the same as a healer, just watch the health bars. Of course though, this would lead to me ditching the spec before giving it many more fair chances. I do remember seeing non-traditional specs in retail, not exactly frequently, but it wasn't rare either. Just, like you said, Nost players seem to have the "X spec is useless, don't bother, ever" mentality down to a T with a first forum glance.

I think druid is actually a decent shout given your post. I mean I have my PvP server lock should I decide to keep playing it, but you're right in saying Druid would keep me personally occupied a tremendous amount. Both in terms of farming gear sets, as well as learning how to provide a good tanking/DPS service when I fancy a chance without having to go 1-60 again.

Your 5 cents have paid off, thanks ;)

DrearyYew wrote:As long as you're not raiding, every spec is viable. Don't let raid elitism dictate what you want to play if you aren't going to raid.

Also, T0.5 won't be out until after AQ, which is at least 6 months for the PvP server, and longer for the PvE server.

I may raid, but I didn't want it to be at the top of my agenda while I'm at Uni. Playing vanilla WoW at Uni feels dangerous enough given how into the game I got back then ;) Guanyin's post about druid has me heavily tempted, and part of the fun will be getting a resto set, even if it's just to have one. So I guess I as a druid I could offer people any role they need filled at all, even if it means healing.

Also, big thanks for that info on t0.5, totally forgot about that. I was googling things for non-raiders to do in vanilla WoW and someone said their project was to upgrade their full dungeon set. it just sounded cool. With druid seeming more and more likely as I write this thank you to you guys, I'm sure leveling to 60 and acquiring 4 gear sets around studying at Uni will kill PLENTY of time.

Again, a big thank you to both you guys, guess the only question is Horde/Ally. I like the way armor sits on nelfs, but think the tauren health bonus will be good on the chance I decide to tank for a bit.
Skyy
Private
Private

by smilkovpetko » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:20 pm

This guy is doing the same job i am almost finishing currently :) "personal adventure"

well you can try as Protection Paladin since you will find easy groups and easy tanking in dungeons around ;) , drinking your coffee while doing your stuffs and aoe farming for your rep .

little help for the dungeons

https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=22875

cheers .

Because your plans are not focused on raiding much , this can suit you pretty much .
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Skyy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:17 pm

smilkovpetko wrote:This guy is doing the same job i am almost finishing currently :) "personal adventure"

well you can try as Protection Paladin since you will find easy groups and easy tanking in dungeons around ;) , drinking your coffee while doing your stuffs and aoe farming for your rep .

little help for the dungeons

https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=22875

cheers .

Because your plans are not focused on raiding much , this can suit you pretty much .

Love the videos man :) Personal adventure is exactly it, seems like you nailed it on the head with your pally.

Based on your vids, I may just make my Dr00d a Nelf to also level a Pally that can be an alt with the exact same goals. Major thanks for that link :D
Skyy
Private
Private

Return to Mechanics and classes