Ratio between weapon skill increase and hit % increase?

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Re: Ratio between weapon skill increase and hit % increase?

by Soyoen » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:36 am

smilkovpetko wrote:@Soyoen

TBC Date Release is at January 16, 2007

Wotlk Date Release is at November 13, 2008

The Sources Date Posted is at » Thursday July 27, 2006 at 13:54

Please next time look the date posted before you decide to question my sources.

? , read below

Soyoen wrote:weapon skill effects on miss chance when attacking a higher level npc

"Your" source has 2-3 lines of correct and useful information, the rest is dog.

This is the useful part in that post, he never updated the post even after more accurate data appeared:
5.6% dodge, 5.6% parry, 5.6% block, 24.6% miss

Very short on glancing blows:
  • Occurance depends on the difference between your level and the level of your target
  • Damage reduction formula used is from Athan
  • IF the formula used gives you 100% damage reduction on 309-310 weapon skill then it is by default flawed in design.
RogueDPS Reborn spreadsheet

Thinking about playing rogue, or actively playing? Check out the rogue boards for the essentials of the rogue class - viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24235
Soyoen
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by smilkovpetko » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:26 am

Soyoen wrote:
smilkovpetko wrote:@Soyoen

TBC Date Release is at January 16, 2007

Wotlk Date Release is at November 13, 2008

The Sources Date Posted is at » Thursday July 27, 2006 at 13:54

Please next time look the date posted before you decide to question my sources.

? , read below

Soyoen wrote:weapon skill effects on miss chance when attacking a higher level npc

"Your" source has 2-3 lines of correct and useful information, the rest is dog.

This is the useful part in that post, he never updated the post even after more accurate data appeared:
5.6% dodge, 5.6% parry, 5.6% block, 24.6% miss

Very short on glancing blows:
  • Occurance depends on the difference between your level and the level of your target
  • Damage reduction formula used is from Athan
  • IF the formula used gives you 100% damage reduction on 309-310 weapon skill then it is by default flawed in design.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Glancing_ ... did=631819

Revision as of 11:43, May 9, 2007

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_skill?oldid=349241

Revision as of 21:05, November 30, 2006

official source that everyone from retail using it.

Good luck
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by vido » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:03 pm

I can't believe this is a still topic up for debate. As I've posted many times before weapon skill and level differences in vanilla and TBC are vastly different concepts. When TBC was launched weapon skill as a stat was removed from the game therefore ONLY your level dictated weapon skill so the two values could be used interchangeably, hence the wowwiki formulas which are laughably your only source.

In VANILLA you have items with weapon skill on them so a level 60 can have over 300 weapon skill which breaks all of those formulas that some people seem to be so attached to. Nostalrius obviously is a vanilla server so weapon skill and level differences are two completely different concepts.

In VANILLA you have a base miss chance depending on your level difference and then you account for weapon skill on top of that which affects this value by 0.04% * weapon skill difference. If you're sitting at 287 skill and you're level 60 fighting a level 63 mob, you have a base 8% miss chance and then an added 1.12% (28*0.04%) miss chance after you account for weapon skill differences, giving a total of 9.12% miss chance
vido
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by smilkovpetko » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:59 pm

vido wrote:I can't believe this is a still topic up for debate. As I've posted many times before weapon skill and level differences in vanilla and TBC are vastly different concepts. When TBC was launched weapon skill as a stat was removed from the game therefore ONLY your level dictated weapon skill so the two values could be used interchangeably, hence the wowwiki formulas which are laughably your only source.

In VANILLA you have items with weapon skill on them so a level 60 can have over 300 weapon skill which breaks all of those formulas that some people seem to be so attached to. Nostalrius obviously is a vanilla server so weapon skill and level differences are two completely different concepts.

In VANILLA you have a base miss chance depending on your level difference and then you account for weapon skill on top of that which affects this value by 0.04% * weapon skill difference. If you're sitting at 287 skill and you're level 60 fighting a level 63 mob, you have a base 8% miss chance and then an added 1.12% (28*0.04%) miss chance after you account for weapon skill differences, giving a total of 9.12% miss chance

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_skill?oldid=349241

This is wowwiki from vanilla

look the date written :

Revision as of 21:05, November 30, 2006
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Armilus » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:31 pm

So many shitty sources in this thread.

Just because it was posted in 2005-2006 doesn't mean it's right.

Here's a source from someone that actually investigated the topic and even wrong an addon for tracking glancing blow damage.

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/prin ... p?tid=4500

"with +10, there was no damage reduction at all." so yes, 310 is the cap.

"with +0 skill, glancing blows were doing about 2/3 normal damage to Onyxia" so 30% reduction in damage is correct, NOT 25%.

Elitist jerks forums are where most of the wow mechanics were first figured out and it was the best source of info on how game mechanics worked until well into TBC.
http://forums.elitistjerks.com/forums/t ... ld-in-112/
http://forums.elitistjerks.com/forums/t ... -question/
http://forums.elitistjerks.com/forums/t ... -question/

Tons of examples of people saying that 310 weapon skill is the cap and glancing blows are only a big deal on mobs level 63 or higher. I really thing that if any of that was incorrect, SOMEONE would have posted in these threads to correct them.
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Aslan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:34 pm

I think its pretty undisputed that the server runs on Athans formula for glancing blows, no matter if blizzlike or not (around 315 wpn skill for no reduction), there were posts from way pre-launch on this forum stating that from talk to the devs.

The only thing people keep arguing about is how wpn skill affects the 5/24% base miss and 5% base dodge.

Might have been changed but I guess such a major thing would be announced in a log.
Scar - Endurance
Aslan - The tales of a Shaman...
Raid streams; As soon as the lag is adjusted (rip)
http://www.twitch.tv/scarnostalrius
Aslan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Youfie » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:02 am

The statements "with 310, there was no reduction at all" were deemed less trustworthy than the tests from Athan done on thousands of hits on different level targets that were displaying a reduction of around 5% @ 310.

Due to weapon damage ranges, it was actually quite hard to have a sample big enough to have some statistically-viable data.

And regarding the Glancing Chance, it's actually possible to have a GB on a level 10 mob while being level 60, if you're weapon skill is low enough. It's not your level versus target level, it's "your weapon skill capped at your level * 5 versus target defense, or enemy level * 5", basically. Almost the same :)
Last edited by Youfie on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Armilus » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:19 pm

Youfie wrote:The statements "with 310, there was no reduction at all" were deemed less trustworthy than the tests from Athan done one thousands of hits on different level targets that were displaying a reduction of around 5% @ 310.

Due to weapon damage ranges, it was actually quite hard to have a sample big enough to have some statistically-viable.

And regarding the Glancing Chance, it's actually possible to have a GB on a level 10 mob while being level 60, if you're weapon skill is low enough. It's not your level versus target level, it's "your weapon skill capped at your level * 5 versus target defense, or enemy level * 5", basically. Almost the same :)

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Weapon_skill (search for Athan)

Ya, I think I'd trust that over anything else I've seen. Seems to be the most in-depth testing anyone did.

This comment by Jottor is interesting:
"I use this formula for calculating reduction for glancing blows (based on the empirical data gathered above)

5 * 2^(Mob level - Your skill/5) - 1 [%]

+0 skill:
61: 5%
62: 15%
63: 35%
+5 skill:
62: 5%
63: 15%
+10 skill:
63: 5%"
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Youfie » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:30 pm

The +10 Skill @ 5% reduction works out indeed.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Mechanics and classes