Prot Paladin vs Prot Warrior single target threat debate...

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Prot Paladin vs Prot Warrior single target threat debate...

by Theloras » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:21 pm

Is over once and for all - with the PALADIN on top no matter what the Warrior can bring to the table for threat producing abilities - especially and significantly here on Nostalrius.

But Theloras, we know that Paladins are able to do massive amounts of AoE threat as well as dmg, but how can a Paladin beat a Warrior in single target threat as well if both players are in equal levels of gear and skill?

If you can find the answer from the picture below with last night's stats from Molten Core, then you win a /cookie:

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/5835/pGYMiO.jpg

PS It's not as apparent as it may seem...

PPS @Undertanker - you aren't allowed to play :P
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Re: Prot Paladin vs Prot Warrior single target threat debate

by Thatoneguy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:25 pm

So I don't know jack about Prot Paladins and I don't pretend to.

At first glance I'd have to ask: does the 8set bonus (heal) heal the entire raid? If so, does it also cause threat? I imagine that would be a huge threat boost when you're single target tanking.
Thatoneguy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Theloras » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:27 pm

Thatoneguy wrote:So I don't know jack about Prot Paladins and I don't pretend to.

But does the 8set (heal) heal the entire raid? If so, does it also cause threat? I imagine that would be a huge threat boost on single target tanking.

In its original inception, yes the 8 set bonus healed the entire raid whereas here on Nostalrius it's group only and does in fact cause threat - but as I mentioned in the PS, while that is a good guess, the answer requires a bit more sleuthing - try again :)
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Mirabae » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:39 pm

Probably judgement of light healing all the melee on Golemagg.

Not sure why you had to frame the thread the way you did, a bit unnecessary.
Mirabae
Tester

by Theloras » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:45 pm

Mirabae wrote:Probably judgement of light healing all the melee on Golemagg.

Not sure why you had to frame the thread the way you did, a bit unnecessary.

Bingo!

Ghost crawler - Blue Poster
#39 - 2008/12/17 05:18:29 PM
I realize this thread is a month old, but I couldn't find a more recent discussion of the issue.

One of the changes in 3.0.8 that we may or may not have announced is that we changed Judgment of Light to do no threat in order to fix some of this seemingly random behavior. We aren't trying to nerf Prot paladin threat overall with this change.

The topic came up again recently when Protadin OTs were accidentally pulling off the MT with huge threat spikes while tanking adds etc.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/1235 ... s-my-raid/

This is even more apparent on Nostalrius seeing as ALL HEALING including Overhealing here:

Example 1
Tankadin judges Light on Felmyst. Light heals everyone that harms Felmyst. Tankadin receives 1.35*[Every point healed] in threat.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/1235 ... s-my-raid/

So, if a Prot Paladin Judges Light on a raid boss, every single JoL proc that every single Melee DPS ticks when attacking that same target, will boost the Paladin's threat by such an astronomical margin, that a Prot Warrior would be left dead in the water...
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Killstick » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:56 am

Because you look like a banana?
Killstick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Ana » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:41 pm

So where's the part where you do some single target tanking again?
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Theloras » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Ana wrote:So where's the part where you do some single target tanking again?

So where's the part where you pull up bullshit raid stat data parses again?
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Theloras » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:54 pm

Killstick wrote:Because you look like a banana?

My Banana Shoulders are awesome!

Anyway, if you recall the debate back in this thread and the theory crafting around it, that's where my post yesterday came from:

Re: What are the best classes & specs for each different rol
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=20825&start=440

I, personally thought Judgement of Light did no threat throughout all of WoW but it turns out I was wrong. I had forgotten that it was only during WotLK that they removed its +threat component from each healing proc.

With this new piece of information, if Duki wants to go toe to toe with a Prot Warrior on threat, he will leave the warrior in the dust.
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Next

Return to Mechanics and classes