Staff of the Qiraji Prophets

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Staff of the Qiraji Prophets

by Haitharn » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:16 pm

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=21128

This staff is similar to nightfall for offtanks. The debuff is very nice to increase lock/mage DPS, similar to shadow weaving for shadow priests. I have 1 question though. Does anyone have a reliable source, or more sources, saying the proc rate of the staff? Myself and another guildie have located 2 separte forum posts about it back in 2006, but I would like more sources if possible.

http://www.thottbot.com/item=21128/staf ... s#comments

http://forums.elitistjerks.com/forums/t ... roc-rumor/

There are comments about it having a 15% proc rate, while also proccing on things such as mind vision, mind soothe, and mind control. Also, there was a comment about the staff not proccing on channeled abilities or DoT ticks.

I would love to test this out on the aq40 PTR, so hopefully we get it to drop (or an GM can spawn it in to test).
Haitharn
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: Staff of the Qiraji Prophets

by Youfie » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:25 pm

The thing is, it seems this staff isn't actually really useful in a raid environment once you have a CoE / CoS, since bosses don't have any resistances high enough for Spell Penetration to be useful, even in AQ / Naxx apparently :

http://forums.elitistjerks.com/forums/t ... netration/
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Undertanker » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:37 pm

AQ SP maybe isn't great, but Naxx I recall this being really good - though on this weapon, the item budget isn't great (perhaps it is with a good proc rate).

I'm at work at the moment so can't scavenge the web for specific info atm, however there is a detailed spreadsheet with Spell pen vs Naxx and by what number of spell pen does what increases. I'll see if I can find it tonight.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Haitharn » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:04 pm

Undertanker wrote:AQ SP maybe isn't great, but Naxx I recall this being really good - though on this weapon, the item budget isn't great (perhaps it is with a good proc rate).

I'm at work at the moment so can't scavenge the web for specific info atm, however there is a detailed spreadsheet with Spell pen vs Naxx and by what number of spell pen does what increases. I'll see if I can find it tonight.

That link would be a godsend, thank you
Haitharn
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Marisi » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:27 am

When 1.9 overhauled the spell resist system and removed negative resists, it included the addition of a level-based partial resist rate. Casters were now subject to a minimum 5% average damage reduction vs all level 63 mobs regardless of the mob's resists. This led to a lot of erroneous reports and myths that mobs in AQ40 and Naxx must have higher than normal base resists (and even holy resistance) because players were seeing partial resists vs mobs that should have 0 resist after CoS and CotE.

This guy from the thread Youfie linked explained it well:
The reason why GLOCK is showing about 20-25 more resist than what you're wearing/using (eg showing 95 fire resist with CoE on) is because of the level based partial resists which have nothing to do with spell penetration at all but still get counted in GLOCK.

Basically:

Patchwerk has 0 Fire Resistance. You put on CoE and wear 40 penetration. This puts Patchwerk at base-135. You get partial resists worth roughly 20-25 resistance (but these are NOT caused by resistances, but rather his level), and GLOCK therefor thinks he has 20 resistance left after the debuffing. This puts him at 155 fire resistance, according to GLOCK. Even though he has 0.

So yeah, spell penetration is almost worthless for mages and warlocks in PvE, but then again spell penetration is very cheap in terms of item budget - many of the pieces it's on are BIS regardless. This staff isn't any good though.
Marisi
Grunt
Grunt

by davidnenn » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:15 pm

waste of a debuff slot, just like shadowpriests
davidnenn
Grunt
Grunt

by Haitharn » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:09 am

davidnenn wrote:waste of a debuff slot, just like shadowpriests