Picking a DPS

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Picking a DPS

by LazyDork » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:47 am

So my friend and I have joined Nostalrius! (yay :D) and I played an enhancement shaman (2 handed of course) all throughout Vanilla WoW and was wondering... what class is most needed that is a dps? My friend is playing a paladin so he's healing and I'd just prefer not to tank. I really like 2 handed classes and have thought about Arms Warrior, Enhancement Shaman, and maybe playing something like a Warlock or Hunturd... I really enjoy raiding and I like to pvp every now and then, and I LOVE a class with good class quest. Thank you in advance to all them answers!!!!

P.S. I'd prefer the class to be alliance since I never got to see the Ally side of things of Vanilla but its fine with whatever faction.... ALSO I do really like out of the norm specs like ret paladins or something of the sort, since playing a not optional class and doing more dps than an optional class is an awesome feeling!
LazyDork
Tester

Re: Picking a DPS

by vinceyoung » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:08 am

Your friend is playing paladin so you should play shaman so you can be his rival in game.
vinceyoung
Sergeant
Sergeant

by snawfu » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:55 am

you should play enchantment shamen or retard paladin

sory i mean retri
patato
snawfu
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by St0rfan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:18 pm

Classes that wont get to raid:

Retridins
MS warriors
Enhancements.
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by DrearyYew » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:18 pm

That's not true considering there are plenty of Rets, Enhance, and MS Warriors raiding. You won't be in a hardcore guild, no, but you'll find a raid spot if you prove your worth and provide decent numbers.

There's a difference between viable and optimal, which is something people on this server seem to forget. Rets, Enhance, and MS aren't optimal, but they definitely are viable.

The only classes not even viable are Boomkin and Elemental.

Optimal: Rogue, Mage, Warrior, Warlock, Hunter (Nightfall/Trueshot Aura), Spriest (only 1)

Viable: Ret, Enhance, MS, Feral, Hunter

Non-Viable: Boomkin, Elemental, Spriest (after the 1st)

To OP: If your friend is playing Holy Paladin, you will have a lot of fun with him as a Warrior. Spec Fury for PvE, and Arms for PvP.
Dreary - Human "Needs No Mana" Holy Paladin
DrearyYew
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by St0rfan » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:38 am

DrearyYew wrote:That's not true considering there are plenty of Rets, Enhance, and MS Warriors raiding. You won't be in a hardcore guild, no, but you'll find a raid spot if you prove your worth and provide decent numbers.

There's a difference between viable and optimal, which is something people on this server seem to forget. Rets, Enhance, and MS aren't optimal, but they definitely are viable.

The only classes not even viable are Boomkin and Elemental.

Optimal: Rogue, Mage, Warrior, Warlock, Hunter (Nightfall/Trueshot Aura), Spriest (only 1)

Viable: Ret, Enhance, MS, Feral, Hunter

Non-Viable: Boomkin, Elemental, Spriest (after the 1st)

To OP: If your friend is playing Holy Paladin, you will have a lot of fun with him as a Warrior. Spec Fury for PvE, and Arms for PvP.

Telling people they can play retri/enhance/MS warrior for raids is like telling your kid they can be an astronaut.
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by thenuclearwalrus » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:35 am

Enhance shamans actually have a place in raids as a nightfall user to buff caster dps.
thenuclearwalrus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by St0rfan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:07 am

thenuclearwalrus wrote:Enhance shamans actually have a place in raids as a nightfall user to buff caster dps.

No. That is the offtanks job. An offtank using nightfall is better utilization of a raid spot than wasting a dps spot for a nightfalling shaman. Since most raids will probably use 3-5 tanks, you will have 1-2 nightfalls constantly hitting on most bosses.
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Undertanker » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:05 pm

To OP - Listen to St0rfan on this one.

If you like to raid AND pvp, and interested in class quest - Hunter is a fun way to go, and you will wreck face in PVP with your pally friend keeping blessing of freedom on you. Their class quest for their Epic MC bow and staff is pretty intense for Vanilla standards of quest.

Warrior is another way, and you can PVP in 2h fury outside of raiding, however don't expect to be ranking with pre-mades with a non PVP spec. Though you might be asked to tank from time to time, if that isn't something you are comfortable with, then the Hunter might be it to cover everything you are looking for.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by vido » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:00 pm

A horde side MS warrior can still be a good pve spec with a BRE, don't compare them to ret paladins ffs. The single target dps is competitive (i.e. certainly not ret paladin tier) if you can get enough rage to start weaving in slams and the 2-4 target AoE is faaar better than any other class. It's highly conditional and restricted to certain raids/encounters, but the potential is there even with a bugged sweeping strikes.

It's by far the best dps class/spec in molten core for example. You don't see them doing top dps parses though because it's a catch-22, since you need a top guild to not die every time you try to burst, but a top guild isn't going to bring an arms warrior to their main raid because it's a pvp spec lol.

If you want to truly yolo and do the highest burst AoE imaginable, you can try a flurry + sweeping strikes spec. Farm a rage bar before the fight so you can pop SS 15s before pull, pop all your CDs and with some luck you can line up a double SS within recklessness + deathwish + earthstrike/diamond flask + rage pot. It gets even more absurd if you can leave one trash mob up to proc enrage from before the pull.
vido
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Mechanics and classes