Best Class for my newbie Wife to play.

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Best Class for my newbie Wife to play.

by Xerzajik » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:26 pm

Just some background here... I played WoW when I was in High School on and off. When I hit level 58 TBC came out and I missed all of the good endgame vanilla content for the most part. I'm feeling nostalgic and would love to check it out but now I'm married.

My wife is not an experienced gamer. She has however agreed to play with me under the condition that we only play together (no binge playing for me).

We are going to chose our classes today and get started. I've played a Paladin and a Priest. It has been at least 6 years since I played and I wouldn't mind playing a Priest again. I'm struggling to figure out what my wife can play and be acceptable at for groups. We are mostly interested in PVE and I figure that if we do plenty of dungeons while leveling up then she will be more raid ready. She needs an easy to play, fun class.

Any suggestions?
Xerzajik
Tester

Re: Best Class for my newbie Wife to play.

by Lionheart » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:19 pm

Welcome back to Vanilla :-)

I think a Mage would suit her pretty well ; High damage, pretty easy to understand the mechanics, will help you while leveling (with drinks and food), has some CC (sheep). If she likes casters, she will like it.
Lionheart
Private
Private

by thenuclearwalrus » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:39 pm

Nonsense, make her roll a priest or druid, and have her heal you. Make sure she learns Tailoring and Cooking.
thenuclearwalrus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Spysee » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:47 pm

thenuclearwalrus wrote:Nonsense, make her roll a priest or druid, and have her heal you. Make sure she learns Tailoring and Cooking.

Lmao okay props to that post.

On a more real note, I would say that casters are definitely easiest. If she's dark go with Warlock, if she is interested in healinh go priest, otherwise go mage.
Spysee
Tester

by Undertanker » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:44 am

Warlock is much more involved of when to DoT vs when to straight nuke and is more of a balance act to excell in world pve.

Mage prob would be best choice, limited abilities compared to other ranged classes (lock / hunter) so she won't get overwhelmed. However playing next to you if you roll priest she will have to get used to minor kiting pretty quickly yet can still get by if she is a back peddlers due to nova. I'm sure the sheeping she will enjoy.

Could always go priest / priest and can teach her along the way. I had a co-worker that did this with his wife back in '05 and they were amazing healers in raid because they played beside each other and could feed off each other w/o adding chatter to TS/Vent.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by RedBanner » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:28 am

Almost any time I see a lady who has decided to play WoW for the first time deciding on a class, there tends to be a "Oooh, I want a pet!" I think that's not such a great idea though, as managing a pet is another thing they will have to figure out. I think a mage is a good idea. They are very straight-forward.

Or maybe a DPS warrior/ret Pally.. She can feel like a badass while you keep her alive. This might be an awesome thing for her as she would be setting the pace and you would be following. She has to protect you and get you to the places you need to go. It would give her more of a feeling of control and might make her more invested. I mean, honestly, most times when the lady is not a gamer, the gentleman tends to not be so gentle, dragging her along and hindering her ability to take things in at her own pace.
Join #macrochat text channel for macro assistance (no sign-up required): Discord.
I'm not a pro, but I love building macros, sharing what I know, and learning more.
RedBanner
Grunt
Grunt

by Lingon » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:04 am

Druid man. Not very complex at the base of each role, yet capable of great things when you combine all the things they can do.
Mage is also good with high potential and a good amount of mechanic base.
Priest gets so many spells, I think it's kindof complex, but if she likes that...

Paladins are similar to druids that they have a kinda easy base, but it might be too easy in fact a bit boring. Depends on how the wifey is as a character as well ofcourse.
Lingon
Grunt
Grunt

by TomDeBaere » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:58 pm

The big question for me would be, how did you manage to make your Wife play WoW? :D Wish I had that power hehe.
TomDeBaere
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Xerzajik » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:19 am

Thanks for all the feedback! She ended up playing a Priest and I am playing a warrior. I've never played a warrior before but that will help make playing again fun.

We decided on priest because she wanted to be a human, caster, and we wanted there to be at least one healer between us. I toyed with the idea of her playing a mage and playing a druid myself but decided against it because traveling to and from Darnasuss for class quests felt like it would be a headache.

We didn't want to compete for armor either so that ruled out myself playing a priest and her playing a mage.

The advantage of playing Priest/Warrior is that I can train her on healing as we level together and she can learn the art of group healing all the way up to 60 in the 5 mans. We only need 3 DPS every time we want to go.

Paladin/Priest may have been great as well for similar reasons.

Thanks for the feedback and the help!
Xerzajik
Tester

by Undertanker » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:00 am

Nice combo to go. Takes the leveling pains away from warrior since you have a renew on your back. And she wont be getting healing aggro as much making her life easier.

Make sure to not let her shield you at start or you wony get rage.

And her first 5 talent points need to be in spirit tap for less down time, just help her be letting her get killing blows so it triggers.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Return to Mechanics and classes