--- So I gained a lot of respect for Holy, and suddenly...

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

--- So I gained a lot of respect for Holy, and suddenly...

by Heglamore » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:51 am

TLDR:
It doesn't matter what a class's main role is, or what they're supposed to be good at.. if they can, or cannot do the job -right- now. Taking your job seriously, and understanding all the aspects of what you can, and should be doing to carry it out is what wins the day.

=======

In Vanilla retail, I was almost entirely a career two-handed swinger.

Big swords, big hammers. I healed -- but only as a means to getting bigger two-handed weapons.

But then? I was never one of those guys who held the raid together. I knew it, but I was to young at the time to really understand what was required of a raid guild. Even today, at 30 years old, coming back I had a very limited grasp of the investment healing required. I remembered doing it -- back when it was easy, because I had a bunch of epics I was handed by established raiding guilds with Holy Paladins as their standing pillars every week.

I had been on Nostalrius for 45 days. I had my epic mount. I had DPS'd Baron Rivendare as ret -- but had never healed him.

I went to UD Strat as a healer, ret-specced... wearing 4 or 5 greens; but I had 5500 mana. And we wiped on Baron Rivendare and were unable to kill him. (Partially due to the Shadow Aura bug -- but even after resetting him) -- I hadn't done the instance in 10 years.. and they were trying to do a speed-run... but I'm pretty certain it was entirely my fault, because most of the other people were geared out in visible pre-raid BIS or even BWL epics.

I had remembered Baron Rivendare as being something easy to heal. I couldn't get my Robes of the Exalted. The rogue couldn't get his Skullforge Reavers. It was my fault. Nobody said it -- but they didn't have to. I felt like shit.

So? That same day -- I began farming gold in Dire Maul East. In two days, I got Hide of the Wild, Dawnbringer Spaulders, Ley of the Lifegiver, and my Belt of the Ordained. The next day? I got into my first ZG (still wearing a green cloak of healing, Abyssal Sorcerer's Leggings of Restoration, and a +25 intellect green chest piece) ... and I won Peacekeeper boots, Peacekeeper Gauntlets, and a Band of Jin.

I'm still wearing the +25 Intellect green leather chestpiece.. but I went to BRD to help a guildie.

And I half AFK followed the prot paladin through the instance spamming rank 1 flash of light. And didn't have to stop to rest through the whole instance once I realized I could do this. I even tanked Princess on the top level out of LoS while healing the tank on Emp.

With Rank 1 Flash of Light spam. As retribution spec.

And I was trying to decide if my earlier new-found respect for Holy was justified. Been on the server less then 45 calendar days. Was it just because they were there first? Because they kept showing up? Is it all gear?

=============================

Ultimately? What I'm realizing? I took healing seriously for two days, and got lucky and got a fuck-ton of gear in short-order. I don't think it's unique to Holy (or even paladins) though, that things as a role in a raid aren't taken seriously -- that tunnel vision for: "Okay, now I need to get someone to take me to X-instance".

It's not about Holy, or Ret. It was that I got my head in the game.

I didn't have the gear to heal, and failed. When I took it seriously, I succeeded.

- Sometimes? Bringing a retribution paladin with consumables who takes his job seriously is going to be more successful in a raid then bringing a rogue who doesn't prepare, doesn't have gear or doesn't care, and is just there to collect his loot.

- Likewise? Sometimes? Bringing a random paladin (*cough, cough*) as a healer -- just filling the last spot in an epic'd out group.. can cause the group to fail.

Today: I figured out what kind of player I'd like to be, regardless of the role I'm doing in a raid.

I want to be one of those guys who makes things work. I realize now, why those Holy Paladins in my old guild, way back in the day were so important. And it wasn't because they were Holy. Or because the Warriors were Prot. Or anything like that.

It's that they found a role, and they bought consumables, and they showed up to raid and they did everything they could to make it work -- and even when it was inconvenient? They made sure the team won anyways.
"you re ev il AND i kill y o u" - Malachie, Talking in 'Orc Gibberish'
Heglamore
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: --- So I gained a lot of respect for Holy, and suddenly.

by ChipTheMonk » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:18 am

Maybe you should change your name to Heal more
(...that's the way I read it the first time.)
ChipTheMonk
Grunt
Grunt

by Heglamore » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:36 am

ChipTheMonk wrote:Maybe you should change your name to Heal more
(...that's the way I read it the first time.)

I have no idea how that has any relevance, unless you're just one of the unoriginal trolls who spout that on any paladin thread? o . O

Because for a moment there, I thought you had introspection when you gave us that momentary insight into a mistake you made--
"you re ev il AND i kill y o u" - Malachie, Talking in 'Orc Gibberish'
Heglamore
Sergeant
Sergeant

by ChipTheMonk » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:47 am

It was meant to be a friendly joke! Just some nonsense...

I'm glad for you, and it makes sense that if you get your head in the game youcan accomplish much more than someone who doesn't try at all.
ChipTheMonk
Grunt
Grunt

by Undertanker » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:00 pm

Moral of the story - Single target healers are not good a raid healing.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Return to Mechanics and classes