What does Weapon Skill do in vanilla?

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Re: What does Weapon Skill do in vanilla?

by Gabgab » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:52 pm

Ardeith wrote:As a player i think the only thing you need to know is :
Versus bosses :
9% hit cap
8% hit cap if you have 302 weaponskill
7% hit cap if you have 304 weaponskill
6% hit cap if you have 305+ weaponskill
5% hit cap if you have 315 weaponskill

thats quite a... "strange" progression curve if you ask me
a 2 point increase gives a whole 1%, lowering the cap from 9 to 8 and then suddenly you need a whole loop of 10 points to go from 6 to 5?
how does the formula look like? do you need 20 points to press the required hitcap down from 5 to 4?

i never did any serious theorycraft with weaponskill, being a dorf huntard there arent many guns anyway that beat bows/crossbows in raw damage output, so i always just assumed weaponskill being a linear thing, where +5 equaled 1% hit, aka

@lvl 60
300 > 5% miss vs 60
305 > 5% miss vs 61
310 > 5% miss vs 62
and so on...

might be totally wrong tho :mrgreen:
Gabgab
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Normander01 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:53 pm

sure bows can be better dps but a miss is a miss and your dps will show it :)
<GM> Blacklisted
Twitch Nos/Retail Streamer ~~ https://www.twitch.tv/Normander01
Youtube ~~ youtube.com/Normandah09
Normander01
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Gabgab » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:55 pm

thats why i slap a 3% hit scope on any green quest bow i find, if i had to raid with it :)
Gabgab
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by bockhorn » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:36 pm

Can anyone confirm whether it is 315 or 310 wpn skill you want as a melee here on NOSTALRIUS?
Rogue class leader of Onslaught
bockhorn
Sergeant
Sergeant

by nervous » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:57 pm

305 is the magic number you should aim for because it puts you into a different formula calculation. 306-310 is greatly diminished while still offering decent advantages, while 311+ is completely useless.

whether or not that is working as intended here, nobody knows unless someone with IsVV access wants to tool around for 5+ hours
<GRIZZLY>
nervous
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Youfie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:55 pm

bockhorn wrote:Can anyone confirm whether it is 315 or 310 wpn skill you want as a melee here on NOSTALRIUS?

This :
nervous wrote:305 is the magic number you should aim for because it puts you into a different formula calculation. 306-310 is greatly diminished while still offering decent advantages, while 311+ is completely useless.

whether or not that is working as intended here, nobody knows unless someone with IsVV access wants to tool around for 5+ hours

Things on Nostalrius are just like they were on retail.
At 310, your Glancing Blows will do 95% of normal damage. You don't need to go beyond that, and the bare minimum is 305.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by ritjos71 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:07 pm

Versus bosses :
9% hit cap
Because either it is the 8.4, 8.6 or 9% theory you still need 1% from gear to get rid of the 0.x% left ( if you cant afford to get to 315 weaponskill ).

So I've been hunting around vanilla forums and guides, I've seen two major theories regarding weapon skill and how it's involved in calculating your chance to miss. The biggest thing this effects I'd say are humans and orcs (swords and axes respectively) According to this an orc swinging an axe will only need 6 percent hit, but I've seen plenty of guides that state weapon skill underneath the targets defense pretty much does nothing. (Doesn't do all that much when it's above the targets defense either frankly.)

Basically I'm just curious if this racial skill is actually quite helpful saving those who picked humans or orcs from having to gather 2 percent to hit on their gear, or is it just used in order to reduce the damage reduction of glancing blows.

is it possible that different private servers tackle weaponskill differently? I'm pretty lost here because I see a lot of posts ranting for both schools of thought.
ritjos71
Sergeant
Sergeant

by St0rfan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:34 pm

ritjos71 wrote:
Versus bosses :
9% hit cap
Because either it is the 8.4, 8.6 or 9% theory you still need 1% from gear to get rid of the 0.x% left ( if you cant afford to get to 315 weaponskill ).

So I've been hunting around vanilla forums and guides, I've seen two major theories regarding weapon skill and how it's involved in calculating your chance to miss. The biggest thing this effects I'd say are humans and orcs (swords and axes respectively) According to this an orc swinging an axe will only need 6 percent hit, but I've seen plenty of guides that state weapon skill underneath the targets defense pretty much does nothing. (Doesn't do all that much when it's above the targets defense either frankly.)

Basically I'm just curious if this racial skill is actually quite helpful saving those who picked humans or orcs from having to gather 2 percent to hit on their gear, or is it just used in order to reduce the damage reduction of glancing blows.

is it possible that different private servers tackle weaponskill differently? I'm pretty lost here because I see a lot of posts ranting for both schools of thought.

I can only answer for DW-fury now but here goes. If weaponskill also adds to your hit, it still wont mean that you should drop +hit gear in favor of other gear just because you are over the yellow-cap as you fury you'll need as much +hit as possible. Dropping +hit may make sense once you get past 15-16% hit but by then you would already be in BWL/AQ gear and hopefully be using race-appropriate weapons and maybe even edgemasters so the point would be moot.

TLDR: An orc at entry-raiding shouldnt drop hit if he's at hitcap even with edgemasters and axes. Hit at that point is still too valuable for rage purposes.
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by nessåj » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:54 pm

I can only answer for DW-fury now but here goes. If weaponskill also adds to your hit, it still wont mean that you should drop +hit gear in favor of other gear just because you are over the yellow-cap as you fury you'll need as much +hit as possible. Dropping +hit may make sense once you get past 15-16% hit but by then you would already be in BWL/AQ gear and hopefully be using race-appropriate weapons and maybe even edgemasters so the point would be moot.

TLDR: An orc at entry-raiding shouldnt drop hit if he's at hitcap even with edgemasters and axes. Hit at that point is still too valuable for rage purposes.

in TBC and i think that the same here.

you only need soft cap hit (yellow cap), when you have soft cap hit => crit > hit.
Some reason is:
Crit is +1 % damage for yellow and white hit (since crit is 200% of normal hit, 220% on yellow with impale); then it proc flurry (this talent make you do more hit by improve the rate speed of hit), add the fact that we had heroic strike (when 50+ rage) to reduce the number of miss, GlancingBlow from white by turning a white hit into yellow.
While hit above soft cap will improve only by 1 % white damage (not yellow).

Then don't leave all hit, but if you have the soft cap and the choice between the same piece with 1 % crit and 1 % hit, choose the one with the crit.

For example AS 2.8:

New Attack_speed = 2.8 / ( (30 / 100) + 1 ) = 2.154 - 2.8 => 0.64s x3 hit 1.93s so 1.93s is 0.69% of 2.8s.

So each time you crit you win flurry that make you win 0.69 % hit.

Add the miss chance on the new hit won 0.19 (19%) => 0.69 / ((19/100)+1) = 0.57%
Admit you win 0.57% of a hit on each flurry.

So when you add 2% crit you add the same effect than 1 % hit (don't mean you won't miss but will add 1 white hit) + the normal effect of crit.

Carefull this choice mean to have miss, but mean to do more total hit too.

At high gear (when crit cap reach) hit can become better than extra crit cause hit will make you win some glancing hit or crit)
nessåj
Private
Private

by Youfie » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:51 pm

nessåj wrote:

in TBC and i think that the same here.

you only need soft cap hit (yellow cap), when you have soft cap hit => crit > hit.
Some reason is:
Crit is +1 % damage for yellow and white hit (since crit is 200% of normal hit, 220% on yellow with impale); then it proc flurry (this talent make you do more hit by improve the rate speed of hit), add the fact that we had heroic strike (when 50+ rage) to reduce the number of miss, GlancingBlow from white by turning a white hit into yellow.
While hit above soft cap will improve only by 1 % white damage (not yellow).

Then don't leave all hit, but if you have the soft cap and the choice between the same piece with 1 % crit and 1 % hit, choose the one with the crit.

For example AS 2.8:

New Attack_speed = 2.8 / ( (30 / 100) + 1 ) = 2.154 - 2.8 => 0.64s x3 hit 1.93s so 1.93s is 0.69% of 2.8s.

So each time you crit you win flurry that make you win 0.69 % hit.

Add the miss chance on the new hit won 0.19 (19%) => 0.69 / ((19/100)+1) = 0.57%
Admit you win 0.57% of a hit on each flurry.

So when you add 2% crit you add the same effect than 1 % hit (don't mean you won't miss but will add 1 white hit) + the normal effect of crit.

Carefull this choice mean to have miss, but mean to do more total hit too.

At high gear (when crit cap reach) hit can become better than extra crit cause hit will make you win some glancing hit or crit)

I second this - at least for Rogues, don't know about Warriors and rage generation & shit.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanics and classes