Damage Per Swing

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Damage Per Swing

by Keftenk » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:32 am

I've come across two different formulas for Average Damage Per Swing. Is anyone able to shed light on them?

One was (Weapon DPS+AP/14)*Weapon Speed
The other I saw was (Weapon DPS+AP*3.5)*Weapon Speed

I'm pretty much new to the whole melee class thing seeing how I've played support in live during every-freaking-expansion and I'm trying to postulate as much as I can about my class and its absolute potential, but I keep running into conflicting data all over the place. It sounds like the second formula is the current formula for live(?) Is the first formula vanilla's?

http://www.wowwiki.com/Attack_power

Also, how does this all factor into armor against a mob and actual damage done? I understand life would probably be much easier if we just had Target Dummies, but :(

Apologies for the scrub questions...
Keftenk
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Re: Damage Per Swing

by Youfie » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:13 am

Hi,

I don't know about retail or other expansions, but in Vanilla you need 14 AP to deal 1 more damage per second. It's simple, it's the same rule for everyone, and you can check it in your character sheet.

Attack Power :
To calculate your Damage Per Second, you just add the DPS of your weapon and the DPS granted by your total amount of AP :
(Average weapon damage / Weapon Speed) + (Attack Power /14)

Damage per Second with 140 AP and a Krol Blade (80-149 dmg, 2.8 speed) : (114,5 / 2,8) + 10 = 50,9.

To calculate your Damage Per Swing, you take the average damage per swing of your weapon and add the damage per swing contribution from your attack power, i.e. the damage per second it grants multiplied by weapon speed :
Average weapon damage + [(Attack Power /14) x Weapon Speed]

Damage per Swing with 140 AP and a Krol Blade (80-149 dmg, 2.8 speed) : 114,5 + (10 x 2,8) = 142,5.

And of course Damage Per Swing / Weapon Speed = Damage Per Second, in our exemple 142,5 / 2,8 = 50,9.

Keep in mind this formula doesn't take into account your talents, crits, dodges etc., or the fact that you are dual wielding etc.

Special Attacks that refer to your normal Weapon Damage refer to this formula, except the Weapon Speed is replaced by a modifier (e.g. 1,7 for Daggers and 2,4 for others 1H for rogues), this is the Attack Power Normalization. The only exception being Hemorrhage, which is not normalized in 1.12

For instance, Sinister Strike (rank 8) is described as "An instant strike that causes 68 damage in addition to your normal weapon damage.", but this move being normalized makes its formula the following assuming you're using a Krol Blade :

Average weapon damage + [(Attack Power /14) x 2,4] + 68, i.e. 114,5 + (10 x 2,4) + 68 = 206,5, instead of 210,5 if it wasn't normalized.

Armor :
Armor reduces the physical damage taken by an amount equal to :
[Armor / (Armor + 400 + 85 * Attacker's Level)].

Only the level of the attacker matters, i.e. if you are level 60, you will have your physical damage reduced by the exact same amount if you attack a level 20 with 2k armor or a level 60 with the same amount of armor.

This formula comes after everything else. In our previous example, a level 60 player having 140 AP and using a Krol Blade in MH would hit a target having 2000 armor for 142,5 x [2000 / (2000 + 400 + 85 x 60)] = 104,5 (26,67% reduction).

Hope this helps you out :).

EDIT : Some typos and titles.
Last edited by Youfie on Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:48 am, edited 10 times in total.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Re: Damage Per Swing

by Keftenk » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:17 am

Youfie wrote:
Armor reduces the physical damage taken by an amount equal to [Armor / (Armor + 400 + 85 * Attacker's Level)]. Only the level of the attacker matters, i.e. if you are level 60, you will have your physical damage reduced by the exact same amount if you attack a level 20 with 2k armor or a level 60 with the same amount of armor.

This formula comes after everything else. In our previous example, a level 60 player having 100 AP and using a Krol Blade in MH would hit a target having 2000 armor for 142,5 x [2000 / (2000 + 400 + 85 x 60)] = 104,5 (26,67% reduction).

Hope this helps you out :).

Yes!

Much thanks, again :) Appreciate it.
Keftenk
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Return to Mechanics and classes