Which class to play PvE?!

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Which class to play PvE?!

by Oxytauren » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:05 am

Im torn between horde and alliance, but my main concern is what class will i play for PvE?

In vanilla i had a prot warrior that i leveled or more grinded for days on end... i had no clue what i was doing.
Ive smashed each expansion since and enjoy playing DUDS! mages and shamans.
But what should I avoid in vanilla?
Whats going to be high in demand?
Whats every man and his dog going to play?
Oxytauren
Grunt
Grunt

Re: Which class to play PvE?!

by hal1n » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:27 am

Results of a poll by Gelbin - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=743

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1KGAzYZ ... wanalytics

Note that not every spec is 'viable', but I'm sure you already know that.
~ 28/02/2015 ~
hal1n
Tester

by Drain » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:23 am

Play whatever class you like. You didn't mean any preferred role or melee/range.

But what should I avoid in vanilla? I wouldn't say you need to "avoid" anything, but some specs do not have ideal gear sets. In PvE, Warrior sets are always tank, and any class with a healing tree has a healing set. Getting equipment for other trees means going out of tier or using PvP to do it. For example, if you want a Fury Warrior, well your tier sets are all +tank, so you'll end up stacking non tier purples for damage, which do exist, but don't have matching set bonuses.

Whats going to be high in demand? Tanks and healers, as always. If you roll one, you'll probably get messages every day for dungeon invites. If you aren't one, you'll be struggling to find one to do anything.

Whats every man and his dog going to play? Hopefully tanks and healers, but I know better than to expect that to ever happen.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by showtime » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:20 am

i recommend playing ret paladin for pve or a dps shaman
showtime
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Keftenk » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:30 am

showtime wrote:i recommend playing ret paladin for pve or a dps shaman

This! ^
Keftenk
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Killerwife » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:17 am

Any class will get into a raid but possibly with only one spec. But if you make yourself useful to your guild(off healing, auras, totems, other helping shenanigans) you dont have to strictly adhere to the dps/heal/tank trifecta. Thats how I played feral in TBC and it panned out perfectly. Yes its harder in vanilla, yes tryhards will say I wont have enough dps in vanilla, but they cant tank/dps/heal/innervate/rebirth at the same time. :P
Killerwife
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Oxytauren » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:06 am

Cheers for the replies, lots of great info. Just to confirm Drain i did not specify range/melee/heals/tank/dps and im open to all.
Im swaying towards druids as per usual, but i hear Bear tanking (my favorite) is quite obsolete, so im considering Heals.
Id rather play a naked dwarf than a ret pally, je deteste! I do enjoy shamans that limits me to horde, afraid my mate really enjoys alliance, and dwarfs. I really dont get it, but thats his thing o.O
The poll hasnt had a massive amount of replies but it does seem to favor toward certain class's, so will avoid rogues, cant play them that well anyway, but also imagine most will PvP.
Oxytauren
Grunt
Grunt

by Killerwife » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:34 am

Warriors and rogues are expected to be the most populated. From casters prolly mages will be the most populated endgame. If you want healing go druid/priest, but beware, if you are not the best druid in raid, you will spam healing touch all raid. Bear tanking is more like, im the whore of the raid for buffs/offheal/rezz and some occasional dps + if the tank dies we live a bit more.
Killerwife
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Zetox » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:45 pm

In the end don't let your decision be decided by which class can min/max with the #'s. Play the class that will allow you to have the most fun by filling the role you want to play! This is Vanilla--where community and fun always trumps epeen. You'll lose out on some of the experiential aspect of the game if you try to play the game like it's 2015--where nobody has an identity.
Zetox
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Trolle » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:58 pm

Overpopulated/mostly played classes: DPS Warrior and Rogue

Shaman, Paladin, Druid, Priest: You will mostly just heal. Some argue for a shadow priest but thats one per guild tops. Melee Shaman/Druid and paladin is subpar to Rogues/Warriors (anyone saying but I can nightfall a melee shaman, yeah sure or if I gonna bother with it I'll just put it on a 2h fury warrior instead.) and Druid/Shaman casters have a serious mana problem.

Ranged DPS in order of most played: Mage, Warlock, Hunter
Tank: in 99% of the time, Warrior only

All the above is considered for PVE

For PVP almost all classes and specs can be useable for something.
< Organ Harvest >
Maedsigil
Soetsaken
Smiskarinnan
Fyllepiraten
Nidabmi
Trolle
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Next

Return to Mechanics and classes