Modifying Wow vanilla...

Discuss anything here. But do not forget that our rules still apply !

Modifying Wow vanilla...

by alucard001 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:26 pm

Is there any way to play on Vanilla.exe with the actual graphics of World of warcraft? Meavy it could some way to modify textures on .mpq files or something.

I know it is possible because i saw in Ownedcore.com (in the Mod section) some people showing old sites of World of warcraft unreachables, as Dr Lapidi Island from Wow Alpha (I still have the sandbox) but with Cataclysm graphics. I could see that because the water had the new textures which were implemented in Cataclysm.

So it meavy could be possible change some textures from the game. Or meavy what i saw it just was a Cataclysm private client with the .mpq file from Alpha wow sandbox. (I know it could be possible aswell because some custom private servers uses .mpq files to make possible their custom content ingame) This is the most probably case.

Anyway, i ask for if anyone knows how to do it.
alucard001
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Modifying Wow vanilla...

by Ardeith » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:39 pm

It would take a lot of time.
It is like mods that you can find for Skyrim, they change texture one by one.

I think it would be simple to change texture itself instead of MPQ, but i could be wrong.
You probably have to take the actual wow texture adjust the size and rename them to match vanilla texture name.

I m sure you can find tuto about it on Modcraft.

If i were you, i would start by implementing the new model character texture from the new expansion ( its pretty bad ass ).

If you find people welling to do that, it could be a really good project to do for the vanilla community. And I would be welling to help :)

Note : Maybe the old graphic engine of the game can limit this customization, if someone can confirm or maybe this will have to be improved as well. Anyway it would be a good change to make too, as the actual client cant handle more than a few hundred of player without lagging as hell.
Ardeith
Grunt
Grunt

by alucard001 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:13 am

I don't like some of new character models, like Male Night elf, or Male trolls (they walk just like retardeds).

But some features are important like Max vision distance, Water Cataclysm's textures, resolution , etc....
alucard001
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by konked » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:10 am

alucard001 wrote:I don't like some of new character models, like Male Night elf, or Male trolls (they walk just like retardeds).

But some features are important like Max vision distance, Water Cataclysm's textures, resolution , etc....

aspect ratio also
konked
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Shadowlurk » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:44 pm

I've tried using an MPQ editor to update certain textures and stuff...to no avail. I have changed the login screen, login music, etc. Mods like that can be done.

It seems that the newer textures are not compatible with the old engine. But that is only my opinion.
Want your game to look visually stunning and run silky smooth? Read my guide.
Shadowlurk - Level 29 Troll Rogue (Expert Leatherworker / Expert Skinner)
Shadowlurk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by alucard001 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:39 pm

I see... anyway,i will ask in ownedcore too, but idk how long it will take to get an answer
alucard001
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by balsh » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:04 am

You can try something like this to improve render distance etc. (make a macro)
Code: Select all
/console groundEffectDensity 256
/console groundEffectDist 170
/console detailDoodadAlpha 100
/console farclip 777
/console horizonfarclip 6226
/console smallcull 0
/console maxLOD 3
/console SkyCloudLOD 3
/console characterAmbient 1

to revert delete WTF folder (you'll loose all your binds macro and configs)
or type
/console groundEffectDensity 16
/console groundEffectDist 1
/console horizonfarclip 1305
/console farclip 177
/console characterAmbient 1
/console smallcull 1
/console skycloudlod 1
/console detailDoodadAlpha 1

It might hit your performances quite a bit though even with a good pc because of the outdated engine.
I'm just copy pasting a few commands I've found, there are some others and they might not all work with the
vanilla client.
balsh
Sergeant
Sergeant

by gazi05 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:52 pm

So I have been looking on the link you gave on modcraft and found a good post. A guy edited wow vanillas graphics. Hope it wont bother the devs here if we use it. http://modcraft.superparanoid.de/viewto ... =93&t=8849
gazi05
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Askental » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:24 pm

gazi05 wrote:Hope it wont bother the devs here if we use it.

I am surprised they did not say anything yet, so yeah, I'm going to be the grumpy one... but I'm not really happy about these links and this topic being openly discussed here. I see that it might genuinely not be the intention in this case, but if you think for 5 minutes (or just browse deeper into this type of forum), you will find exploits using the same technique and I don't really want to see this spread on the server...

Personally I have nothing against a legit and verified pack of pretty textures, and this guy in your post seems alright but he is using different trees models... If it is just a tiny bit smaller than the default tree, someone else could see you walk right through it, and this can already get you reported, even if you did not mean to cheat... I would be extremely careful with this stuff, or just stick to what the engine is capable of without editing data.
Askental
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by gazi05 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:40 pm

Huh hadn't thought about it that way, better not to use it then. Or if it is possible if the devs can test it and give us their opinion. If they disagree I will delete my link and the post I made.
gazi05
Sergeant
Sergeant

Next

Return to Off topic