Let's try and compare current classic projects?

Discuss anything here. But do not forget that our rules still apply !

Let's try and compare current classic projects?

by Motorbreath » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:28 pm

Okay. My comments in the Announcements section of this forum and their deletion by moderators in the recent days made me think about something. I get, that those could have been considered advertisement and off topic and that I probably should have been posting here right away.

In my defence: I wasn't visiting this forum much before Nost shut down and the moderator(s)... Well, let's say that the whole situation wasn't transparent nor thorough enough on their part for my understanding. Giving those posts a pass at pre-moderation and then editing 'em out a day after, while all the other comments about classic servers are still there... My bad, I guess? After all, my lack of activity in the past could have made me look like a spammer and I was advertising in a way, I'm gonna admit.

Nevertheless, this post will also be inevitably considered advertising by someone, so I'll just say what I wanted and let you decide.

I'm currently waiting for my friends to hopefully play as a static party as we've been doing for years. And, because I am usually the one gathering them, it's kinda, without saying, on me to decide which server to choose for it. And if I make a mistake, chances are that the whole idea will fail and all that.

But I'm also interested in the whole classic/vanilla wow scene and have been interested in it mainly ever since 2005 - not caring much about all the content addons that came after. Even while playing official servers at late TBC I've created a classic guild to focus on pre-BC content.

Not interested enough to follow any sources of relevant information it seems though - heard about Nost from the very same friends.

So I've thought: let's try and share our experience with private classic servers? Not just what you've heard, or what this or that server's admins are promising, but what you have seen with your own eyes on live servers and test realms. There is usually no chance for such discussion on those private server's forums because of the same advertisement thing. But we can at least try it here, can't we? Gathering pieces of information in one place instead of many separate threads.

Since there is no spoiler function or I simply can not find it for some reason, here is the content of the deleted comment explaining my experience and opinion. Sorry for the textwalls btw.

I've been actively playing at Valkyrie for four years - starting from 2010 and up to 2014, when I had to disband my small hardcore-PvE guild and there was not much left to do anymore.

In these four years I've also played in top Valkyrie horde guild at the time and participated in server first kills of all BWL bosses except for Nefarian. That's because he wasn't released at the time, and I left the guild shortly after getting Sulfuras on my shammy.

For all that time I've been constantly doing PvP as well. Played in guild premades first, but then decided to sacrifice r14 and concentrate instead on my own guild. We downed Hakkar 13 ppl, but never got enough ppl to try MC. I've got r10 on all three of my characters - twice on the shammy - playing random/pug only. Because why not. That besides doing battlegrounds on all these characters while still leveling them.

At Nost me and my friends from the old guild had our own thing going - we were doing dungeon stealth runs with druids and rogues at first, and with only rogues later. Last Gnomer boss kill with 4 28-29 rogues and most packs still alive was definetly fun.

But we also got to 60 on our alts and were gathering BiS pre-raid when Nost got shut down. I leveled my priest by farming dungeons only and did PvP in all brackets except for 50-59. As well as getting AB revered on my still 29 at the time rogue.

Now let's move to the conclusion, shall we? I can't tell you, that Valkyrie's end game is perfect, just like I can not compare it with Nost or Kronos - I never got there. Valkyrie definetly had some problems and probably is less optimized, yes - just because it never had to deal with 11k online. And most likely never will.

But besides that, I'd say it is not a buggy mess. Not more than Nost was anyway. It had some things worse, but it also had some things better. At least in the pre-raid part that I saw. Of course, it's a small x1 russian server with not much going on and lots of gear farmed by players over the time it has been around (like, seven years now?).

It had level and gold donation rewards in the past just to keep the server machine going. And it also has the community that's criticizing it for not fixing and releasing everything in just one day. Well... sometimes in years, actually, but still. They are not selling your characters, you know.

There won't be the item-stat-over-time-changing-feature on Elysium like it was on Nost - just a gradual content release, from what I read. But many of the mentioned problems are gonna be solved by just launching the fresh realm.

It probably won't solve the freeze problem I've experienced a month back while PvPing there, it probably won't give you perfectly scripted pre-nerf AV, AQ40 or Naxx. But I also strongly doubt, that it's gonna turn into a burning hell the other russian players are picturing for some reason.

Please note, that I was answering to another user's comment saying that Elysium is "a russian buggy mess, copy-pasted from main valkyrie realm". The comment is still there. A day or so after that I've read Valkyrie admin's post regarding Elysium and Valkyrie cores and reposted it in the very same thread saying that we were both mistaken, and that I'm not sure how they are gonna pull this off with the new core and another one yet to come. All three being not fully compatible fixes-vise. That we're gonna wait and see.

That's because I haven't even seen the Elysium test realm, but maybe you have seen it and/or another private classic servers and can compare.
I've also been hearing, that majority of Nost players have already moved to Kronos and thus they should be able to shed some light on it.
If you have something to say, please go ahead, share your opinions - perhaps as a result we will be able to look at the whole picture here. I still have around two weaks before we will hopefully have some time to play, so plenty'a'time to decide.

I'm mostly interested in server's basic workability and if it's blizz-like enough, as well as 5ppl content scripting quality and online (being a PvPer as well). But having a well-scripted endgame yet to come is always a plus ;) So tell me as much as you can or ask away if you have any questions about Valkyrie. For example it's online is only around a couple of hundreds now, and it never was dramatically higher. Being the server's main problem imo.

TL;DR version: Please share your actual experience with current classic private servers and compare them by as much important parameters as possible. Or ask your questions.
Motorbreath
Private
Private

Re: Let's try and compare current classic projects?

by smilkovpetko » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:58 pm

There is no Blizzlike server , only false information and manipulation.

Few example of the fellow Crestfall because i know this is coming from there:

Crestfall :

1- Bosses HP Pool bigger than Blizzlike.
2- Bosses Damage overtuned and higher than Blizzlike.
3- Item stats and Patch not compatibile with Blizzlike.
4- Holy Resistance on All Items non Blizzlike.
5- Server rules are pretty much the same as Feenix (nonsense and by choice).

Conclusion:

There is no Blizzlike Server and anyone that believe is delusional.

I have big list for every single Privacy server, but sadly i hear Crestfall as everyday "Heaven Server" which is completely false and it is the reason why i mention it.
Last edited by smilkovpetko on Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Motorbreath » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:40 pm

Well, obviously there is no 100% Blizzlike, but x10 rates and derpy whatever-the-admin-wants-for-this-boss scripring and x1 trying to be as Blizzlike as possible are two completely different things, won't you agree?

Thats why details matter so much for me.

I'm sure Crestfall has some bright sides too, but yeah, from what you said, it seems like they are trying to fix even the things that aren't broken.

What is their status? By reading this forum a bit I think I remember, that it's still in testing phase now. Is that true, or just an outdated information?

I would also like to hear something good about Crestfall. I mean, it can not all be that bad, right? There are, for sure, some really bad servers around, but I really doubt that they would have even been talked about in that case. No offence, but for now it may look like you're projecting a couple of bad things to shrink the server in people's eyes.

Anyway, I was asking for people's opinions and I've got one. Thanks a lot - for a day or so then I've been thinking that noone's gonna answer at all.

Please, share your list - I would be very happy to see it.
Motorbreath
Private
Private

by smilkovpetko » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:02 pm

Well since they have big ego of Advertising only good things, i decide to mention their bad things.

Something like you already mention about other servers.
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by smilkovpetko » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:44 pm

You see another lie on Video : "4 years old server".

In reality never released,never known before and GM creation account is this year 2016 April 17.

http://forums.crestfall-gaming.com/inde ... e/2-asura/
Last edited by smilkovpetko on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Cardinalsin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:12 pm

Hello Motormouth.

Crestfall shill here also known as Outstanding. Rather than give you a wall of text about CF, let's actually talk about me. No really. I'm 51 years of age. Played WoW from 2005. Have never been in a raid in vanilla. Played to WotLK with a bunch of RL friends. Quit during Cata and never came back.

Heard about Private servers but avoided them on misconceptions about security
Heard about Nost from my son
Played on Nost and got my RL mates to come back
Nost shut down
Played on most other private servers, not one matched Nost although Kronus isn't bad
I'm committed to play on CF because (in my opinion) it's the last great chance for a private server to improve on Nost and bring us to a professional level.

Comments above are correct. You can't bring back the flavour of Vanilla WoW because the game is 10 years old. 10 years ago the information on raids, min/maxing toons, builds, mats, buffs etc was extremely limited. Now anyone can check DB's websites and You Tube to find out how you take down bosses in end content.

A true vanilla server would start off at 1.0 for progression, content and classes. Yet we always have classes/talents at 1.12. Why is that? Because it represents the best balance you can get for classes in vanilla. Still means some classes and specs are non-viable but better than 1.0

Problem is that 1.12 classes are a significant improvement on 1.0 or 1.4 or 1.6 meaning the bosses that were tough then are a lot weaker with these improvements. Start adding in world buffs, player skills and prior knowledge it's no surprise that end raid bosses can defeated practically overnight.

Now this may only apply to 5% of players, but these are the players that are most vocal. So if these heavily subscribed players say your server is pants, the bosses are badly scripted, and we downed AQ40 the first night of release, you just won't get people to play. So being totally blizzlike is bad for business.

However, if you have well scripted bosses, are sensible about world buffs, change the way bosses function so that it can surprise raids and give these players a challenge, then your server will go forth and prosper. You just have to remember to dial the bosses down a bit when the normal people (like me and you) get there.

So that's the hardcore end. You also have the PvP end which can be just as difficult to look after. The solution there is to have a proper functioning Alterac Valley and cut-down on the cheating. Easier said than done but CF intends to ensure that their blizzlike version of AV is the best out there.

This brings us on the normal scrubs like me. So what do we want? Well we want an English speaking realm that gives us a choice (PvP or PvE). We want a realm that doesn't break down when someone sneezes in Teldrassil - this is called clustering and no-else has it but CF - we want pets that actually path (follow) and function correctly. Instances that aren't bugged. Fishing where the bobber works. Herb and Ore nodes that are in the right place and you can access them. We want a decent population 2500+, preferably 5000+ on the PvP.

No other server has the potential to do this other than Crestfall. The forums started in April as they started closed Alpha testing. If the server launches in December they will have spent 8 months preparing and debugging everything. There is already a big community in the forums and it gives us a great start when you jin a fresh new server, and already know most of the people through this interaction.

Have a look at the forums: http://forums.crestfall-gaming.com/ join up and see how good the functionality of their forums are. See how easy it is to navigate, find the content you want. Look at the participation, the threads the replies and compare them to any other server and they are still 4 months from launch.

Could be a crock of shit? Absolutely. But I've seen nothing like this since Nost in terms of communication, community, commonsense and effort. Now take into account they are launching at least two servers with the possibility of a Chinese VPN one just to corral the gold farmers into their own world and leave us to our own devices.

I'm not going to knock other servers. Creating a server is a huge amount of work and commitment, seldom properly rewarded. But if you're like me and you want a stable server, that will progress through to TBC and WotLK over 5 years, so you can add or recreate your journey one more time, then its only Crestfall
AKA Outstanding Opinions, threads and posts are my own
Cardinalsin
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Valgatur » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:52 pm

smilkovpetko wrote:You see another lie on Video : "4 years old server".

In reality never released,never known before and GM creation account is this year 2016 April 17.

Uh,, you realise only their forums were created on 17th april, and in reality they were around for a few years already?
https://www.reddit.com/r/CrestfallServe ... =t3_4es49e
Valgatur
Sergeant
Sergeant

by smilkovpetko » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:14 pm

Valgatur wrote:
smilkovpetko wrote:You see another lie on Video : "4 years old server".

Uh,, you realise only their forums were created on 17th april, and in reality they were around for a few years already?
https://www.reddit.com/r/CrestfallServe ... =t3_4es49e

"Few years" or simple say 1 Year maximum seeing oldest reddit Topic/Post created you link.
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Motorbreath » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:52 pm

smilkovpetko wrote:Well since they have big ego of Advertising only good things, i decide to mention their bad things.

Something like you already mention about other servers.

Oh, I see now. Those are indeed important enough to point out, I'm gonna admit.

Cardinalsin wrote:Hello Motormouth.

Funny. First of all, I'd like to thank you sincerely for such a detailed answer. I guess, writing too much is our common cardinal sin.

I myself have never actually played official vanilla. Probably the reason I'm still here.

But, even though I can clearly see your point about the game becoming easier and need to make it harder, I will have to disagree you on methods. You see, for me, being a hardcore player, making the game harder never was... well. Difficult. You take less people, you have to do more, less chances to succeed - simple.

I still wonder why more people haven't figured it out by now. I mean, at those servers, that are not progressing - even in the sense of not opening new raids for years - most people still tend to go as fast as they can, and then repeat with alts or leave the game.

Well, I guess, the fact, that there's hardly ever been a good private server with properly scripted AQ40 and Naxx, could be a reason for that...

But no, I don't really like the idea of tweaked classic that will turn into TBC later. Not from the point of view of making it harder nor in the sense of game perservation and long term availability.

Who knows though - maybe it actually will be a decent server. I'll keep it in mind and, if we won't start anywhere else by the time it's open, may as well end up there - thank you.

Cardinalsin wrote:Played on most other private servers, not one matched Nost although Kronus isn't bad

Have you ever played at Valkyrie by any chance?

And, in any case, I would really like it if you went into details about at least those two, their good and bad sides, you know. Valkyrie could become yet another point of reference here.
Motorbreath
Private
Private

Next

Return to Off topic