Is it the next big thing?

Discuss anything here. But do not forget that our rules still apply !

Is it the next big thing?

by sempiternus » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:37 pm

I've been following the "crestfall wow" project for 3-4 months now, and i'm very pleased with what i saw so far :

-a real communication (Q and A video, available on discord, weekly updates, good forum mod...)

-people who've been working for a long time on the private server scene

-no lies just to please the crowd (although people react stupidly sometimes : just look at how people reacted on reddit when they announced a little delay for the beta -_- : https://www.reddit.com/r/wowservers/com ... /?sort=new

-PTE project : if the developers are really good, then the following expansions can potentially be very good too.

-6k cap limit per realm (be it pvp server number 1 or 2, or the pve server, or a chinese server...). Ah, and yes : no chinese players on the european/US realms = 70% less gold sellers, botters...

- harder pve content in MC, BWL and possibly AQ40 (no one knows yet) if needed, blizzlike gear progression (just like in nostalrius : the blue items issue was reverted)

I surely forgot a lot of things. We haven't seen anything yet (although Asura and Darkrasp have been showing some videos on the discord, which were quite good), so i guess we should manage our expectations, but i think a lot of us can't help being excited ^^.

What do you guys think? Inb4 "this is corecraft all over again" :D
sempiternus
Grunt
Grunt

Re: Is it the next big thing?

by Garther » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:47 pm

Don't bother - cash shop. Just read this:
Q. First thing's first. Pay to win?

A. No. No purchased levels, skills, gold, or items. We reserve the right to change our minds if it's a matter of keeping the servers online post-launch, but our intention is not to have any pay to win system of any kind. That said, the server will need to generate some money to cover expenses. We'll pay most out of pocket, but player contribution is appreciated. To that end, it is likely that we will have an item shop involving vanity items you cannot get in-game, such as TCG rewards, Blizzcon/Collectors Edition Pets, armorless mount skins (provided you already own the original version) etc. We are also considering (just as ideas) things like Gold Memberships which allow players to skip any login queue and have increased developer access, name changes, PvE<->PvP realm transfers, etc. Nothing that will affect your gameplay experience, but hopefully appealing enough to drum up sufficient financing for the server.

Either official legacy server or move on IMO.
Garther
Tester

by phyriel » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:54 pm

Seems like corecraft all over again... and honestly I'm not building my own hype for private servers anymore. Its either they are released and I go there right away, its good and I stay or I don't dig the news at all. So many times I got cought in those "New_GOD_Tier_vanilla_realm" communities that ended up to be major disappointment that I just stopped watching any sneakpeaks, previews, trailers etc. Also so many times I saw servers release some video about how their scripting is better than anyone else and on release it became clearly visible that they just manually scripted some singular encounter to have something to show but in the end issue was present here and there (talking about pathing issues mostly, which are generally most game breaking also). And then there are countless other unknown factors like uptime, latency etc. Also a huge factor for me is the pace at which content is released. Myself I'm rather put off by another server, no matter how good, that will release stuff progressively, aka lets farm MC for another 6 months, to farm bwl another 6 months and then if no major catastrophy occured we might have AQ after multiple delays and postpones. I'd rather have full content 1.12.1 right away so community do with it what it wants, skilled people could probably get away with ninja'ing some harder content first bosses or some naxx trash loot, it would lead to some freshier gearing up patterns.

Edit. Also that cashshop... thanks for honesty Crestfall but all in all its rather gentle introduction to some hardcore p2w in due time.
phyriel
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Cardinalsin » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:56 pm

This will be modded and moved to off-topic - although with half the staff in Elysium that may take a while.

If people have doubts about the server, be a man/woman and ask your questions on the forums, seeing as the devs actually bother to answer them.
AKA Outstanding Opinions, threads and posts are my own
Cardinalsin
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by vaelanor » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:04 am

Moved to Off-topic!

Your Friendly GM Team.
vaelanor
Game Master
Game Master

by Cardinalsin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:17 am

vaelanor wrote:Moved to Off-topic!

Your Friendly GM Team.

Sorry - didn't imply there was no friendly GM's around
AKA Outstanding Opinions, threads and posts are my own
Cardinalsin
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by smilkovpetko » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:18 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/wowservers/com ... /?sort=new

Very Good Point.

One of the main reasons Nostalrius was so successful is that they didn't fall back on the excuse that it wasn't a "commercial product" which is just a self-justification for lower expectations. Nost conducted themselves as if they were a small company and the proof was in the pudding. While they are now down, they accomplished far more in this scene than any other private server group and put up the best playing experience at the same time while making no profit or making any excuses.

If you want to be the best, set your expectations high and try to reach them. If you are okay with being second-rate or a hobby server, don't be surprised when people call you out on it.

If Crestfall wants to begin backing off of the hype that they brought on themselves, that is their right, but it is also the right of the community to feel disappointment at yet another server project that falls short of it's potential.

http://forums.crestfall-gaming.com/inde ... e-9122016/

Once upon a time, healing would have the same value as spell damage, so an item that could generate with +15 frost damage would also have +15 healing as an option (also noteworthy, at that time, +holy damage was still available, too). That got changed and healing was buffed up to be about 50% higher than spell damage per itemization point.

World Class Server = "Blizzlike" 500% :D :D :D :D
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by PeaceHammer » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:14 pm

I've been following Crestfall and I really like their approach to many things. I intend to play it at launch.
PeaceHammer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Aquane » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:08 pm

phyriel wrote:Seems like corecraft all over again... and honestly I'm not building my own hype for private servers anymore. Its either they are released and I go there right away, its good and I stay or I don't dig the news at all. So many times I got cought in those "New_GOD_Tier_vanilla_realm" communities that ended up to be major disappointment that I just stopped watching any sneakpeaks, previews, trailers etc. Also so many times I saw servers release some video about how their scripting is better than anyone else and on release it became clearly visible that they just manually scripted some singular encounter to have something to show but in the end issue was present here and there (talking about pathing issues mostly, which are generally most game breaking also). And then there are countless other unknown factors like uptime, latency etc. Also a huge factor for me is the pace at which content is released. Myself I'm rather put off by another server, no matter how good, that will release stuff progressively, aka lets farm MC for another 6 months, to farm bwl another 6 months and then if no major catastrophy occured we might have AQ after multiple delays and postpones. I'd rather have full content 1.12.1 right away so community do with it what it wants, skilled people could probably get away with ninja'ing some harder content first bosses or some naxx trash loot, it would lead to some freshier gearing up patterns.

Edit. Also that cashshop... thanks for honesty Crestfall but all in all its rather gentle introduction to some hardcore p2w in due time.

why don't you wait to see whether or not theres p2w or not? chances are there won't be any

these guys are gonna make sure that all the content for vanilla is finished before releasing the server, and they aren't gonna have an open beta until they feel that its good enough to not be scrutinized more than maybe a little bit

also, the expected release date is the end of 2016, though I'd prefer the first week of 2017, so people can level without worrying about Christmas shopping and new years and coming back home after the holidays

additionally, don't expect any official legacy servers to not be messed up on purpose in order to appeal to a broader audience and include microtransactions and such, let alone to even exist at all
Aquane
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by smilkovpetko » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:32 am

http://forums.crestfall-gaming.com/inde ... mment-2437

Darkrasp Posted July 22

We intend to have our open beta by the end of the summer. Full release will depend on how the beta goes and how long it takes to fix all the problems we find. We aren't going to launch a badly broken server.

Today Date :

14 September 2016. Beta not opened yet.

Staff Answers for that: https://www.reddit.com/r/wowservers/com ... /?sort=new

[–]darkrasp 14 points 7 days ago

(Crestfall Staff) I'd like to know where it was announced two weeks ago that Beta would be beginning now. Do you have a link for this? I looked through my update two weeks ago and all I can find is "Regular updates will resume on Monday September 5th, when I hope to have information about the Beta for you." If I posted somewhere that Beta would definitely start this week, then I'd like to know where that was. Thanks.

"The mighty server" and their /brag /flex /promises (propaganda only).
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Next

Return to Off topic