Crestfall - New Vanilla PTE Server - Release 2017

Discuss anything here. But do not forget that our rules still apply !

Re: Crestfall - New Vanilla PTE Server - Release 2017

by Wolfrig » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:27 pm

nervous wrote:Most players do not, and will not care if the villagers in pyrewood village transform at certain times of the day, or if the sleeping peons are sleeping standing up, or if the lost fisherman quest in azshara works. they care that the majority of content works, the end game works, pvp works, and there is a sizable population.

Yes, most people do not care/know about such details, but they will still make the server look a bit better, and I guess if the staff can make those little details work, they might be able to take care of bigger, more important things as well.

At any rate, details like that can only work good for a server.
Wolfrig
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Imbaslap » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:34 pm

only if JimboPete makes a video will it be successful. :)
Imbaheals
<Blacklisted Raid Leader>
Local Horde Kidnapper of Tarren Mill.
Rift Allstar Cleric 2011-2013
World 1st and 2nds with guilds Addiction/Blackout/Babytown/Trinity.
https://www.youtube.com/user/imbaslap/videos
Imbaslap
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by nervous » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:54 pm

Wolfrig wrote:
Yes, most people do not care/know about such details, but they will still make the server look a bit better, and I guess if the staff can make those little details work, they might be able to take care of bigger, more important things as well.

Those details should be left for the end of a server's development. I don't care if it rains in duskwood. I care if I'm able to get aqual quintessences for MC
<GRIZZLY>
nervous
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Imbaslap » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:01 am

nervous wrote:
Wolfrig wrote:

Those details should be left for the end of a server's development. I don't care if it rains in duskwood. I care if I'm able to get aqual quintessences for MC

ill make sure that works just for you bb
Imbaheals
<Blacklisted Raid Leader>
Local Horde Kidnapper of Tarren Mill.
Rift Allstar Cleric 2011-2013
World 1st and 2nds with guilds Addiction/Blackout/Babytown/Trinity.
https://www.youtube.com/user/imbaslap/videos
Imbaslap
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Botanist1 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:17 am

nervous wrote:
Wolfrig wrote:

alright settle down bucko immersion is pretty important
Level 3 <GRIZZLY> Member
Level 1 Public Relations Trainee (Grizzly dindu nuffin division)
Starshina Second Class of RIDF Nostalrius Sector
Rank 1 Care Coordinator and Executive Administrator of the <GRIZZLY> Seeking Elites Precinct
Botanist1
Grunt
Grunt

by Wolfrig » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:40 am

nervous wrote:
Wolfrig wrote:

In my opinion, it is these details that separate good servers from the bad ones. There is no server that is any good that doesn't have obvious and critical stuff like aqual quint, but I don't think many servers have much detail and immersion.
Wolfrig
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Cardinalsin » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:36 am

OK, let's kick things off.

The small details are pretty relevant. I totally understand that servers usually come out with bugs or exploits that have a detrimental effect to for example, the economy. Fixing these bugs/exploits becomes number #1 priority for staff and all the small details can just wait.

So for example, on a previous realm I was on, even after 6 months from launch date I still D/C'd anytime I took the boat to Feathermoon Isle. I still was left 20' in the air at Flight Path's and fishing simply still didn't work. Now you might say these are 'minor details'. Well, they're not.

They are the bleedin' obvious issues that everyone on the dev team were fully aware of at server launch but were too busy fixing more important things. 6 months later, they were still fixing more important things or worse still, didn't think these kinds of details mattered.

CF closed Beta was supposed to launch end of summer, it's launching end of this year because they don't want to go down the previous route of half-finished servers. If you put your hand up and want to differentiate yourself from everyone else, then when you launch you had better show it first time, every time.

Nost coming back is the best thing that could have happened to them. First, it gives a huge publicity boost to the private server scene and some will look for and try out alternatives. The second is that it removes any temptation to release the realms early based on demand. So when it's ready, it's ready.

Lastly, I totally agree that until server launch all bets are off. I also agree that there will of course be bugs on server launch, and some of them are likely to be quite serious. How quickly the devs react will also be critical to the success of the server. All we have to go on at present are the forums.

I'd invite you all to register on the forums and play around with the options available with avatars/backgrounds/functionality/social media. Now compare and contrast with every other private server forums out there. That's the difference and attention to detail we're talking about.
AKA Outstanding Opinions, threads and posts are my own
Cardinalsin
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Eloah » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:13 pm

Just let this shit roll out when they feel like it and if its good then good and if people don't play on it then that is a shame but at least they tried to correct mechanics people claim to care about.
Eloah
Private
Private

by Bearier » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:23 pm

So for example, on a previous realm I was on, even after 6 months from launch date I still D/C'd anytime I took the boat to Feathermoon Isle

you mean Nost? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bearier
Grunt
Grunt

by Magnifican » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:23 pm

nervous wrote:I always laugh when I see servers --before they've even reached beta-- preach about how they're going to go to TBC>Wrath/etc. Hell, even when Nost announced it I fucking laughed because they could hardly get a handle on the most basic of expansions, vanilla. There hasn't been a server in years that has made it past BWL with any decent amount of quality scripting. Why do you feel its necessary to even consider working on those aspects of WoW when it seems no one can really capture the first aspect correctly?

They already made huge amount of work to TBC though. Everything made on vanilla is ported over unto the TBC server, and every fix they make to vanilla during its timespan is also ported over. This will result in the most complete TBC project once it launches, unlike other TBC projects that only focuses on Outland and end-game, leaving the old world in a stock mangos broken stage.

They will have a working base for TBC even before vanilla launches, so that all they need to do for TBC later on is scripting. No other server has made this much planning ahead for a project.

Sure we dont know how this will all play out yet, but we can still talk about what their intentions are and what they already laid the groundwork for. And it sounds pretty damn impressive. The future will tell.

Oh, and details matters! What good is a vanilla server when the world is an unscripted dull mess, the same world you spend an huuuuge amount of time in leveling, profession, and pvping and whatnot. Raids are cool, sure. But vanilla is so much more than end-game and raiding. Also, one does not neglect the other, why settle for one or the other when you can have both! Thats the true quality that seperates projects imo.
Some of this immersion "flavor", like sleeping wildlife during night-time, have actual gameplay impacts too, as you can avoid unnecessary combat with them ;)
Magnifican
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic