Death of Elysium, birth of Light's Hope

Discuss anything here. But do not forget that our rules still apply !

Re: Death of Elysium, birth of Light's Hope

by cybaster » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:16 am

nervous wrote:
cybaster wrote:I see where you're going with this. But we're lacking the missing link in the grand malevolent design: How the fuck is kidney going to make money off of this project with the entire team he works with breathing down his neck?

That's why I don't buy it. Everybody's watching everybody now.

You're severely overestimating your abilities to read someone online. It's hard enough in person, online you're fucked. WK is going to profit off of LH.

He won't profit immediately, but down the road when this is further back in your head. It'll be after LH has been crowned the champion savior of all private servers that can do no wrong by a forum filled with retarded sycophants. It'll be after old developers and moderators burn out from the workload and are replaced by new, largely unvetted ones.

Do you know how easy it is to forge a completely new online persona and insert it into what was once a close knit group of people? Just takes a voice changer with some slight tuning.

Accept corruption as an inevitability, because it is. That way when something smells fishy, you can call it out for what it is ~6-9ish months before it actually goes public and stop wasting your time.

Your conjecture is even weaker than mine. I won't bother to defend my impressions regarding something as nebulous as human character. They're just that, and you're welcome to dismiss them.

But your reply contains nothing more than personal beliefs regarding the non-existence of individuals who value running their hobby well over skimming truly unimpressive amounts off the top of said hobby. I don't think your attitude is any more rational than someone assuming corruption isn't the norm in our community, when it plainly is.

I was out of Elysium at the first whiff of smoke, and long before there was fire - a little over a month in, actually. Maybe I read the bones faster than you?
cybaster
Private
Private

by nervous » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:28 am

cybaster wrote:Your conjecture is even weaker than mine. I won't bother to defend my impressions regarding something as nebulous as human character. They're just that, and you're welcome to dismiss them.

But your reply contains nothing more than personal beliefs regarding the non-existence of individuals who value running their hobby well over skimming truly unimpressive amounts off the top of said hobby. I don't think your attitude is any more rational than someone assuming corruption isn't the norm in our community, when it plainly is.

I was out of Elysium at the first whiff of smoke, and long before there was fire - a little over a month in, actually. Maybe I read the bones faster than you?

That's about how long I played on it.

You're welcome to believe that this time, THIS time, will be the one time where everything is pure and run by perfect people. After 10+ years of private servers, this will be the one server to be without personal gain by the devs.
<GRIZZLY>
nervous
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by cybaster » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:03 pm

nervous wrote:That's about how long I played on it.

You're welcome to believe that this time, THIS time, will be the one time where everything is pure and run by perfect people. After 10+ years of private servers, this will be the one server to be without personal gain by the devs.

Well, I don't know about pure and perfect. Heh. I'd settle for the occasional scandal and angry mob. I'm very much of the attitude that at this point, anything is up.

I'll agree with you completely over one thing - how bad things have been, consistently. Our community is the worst. I mean the actual worst. You don't see this shit trying to play classic DAoC. I guess I'm still willing to entertain the possibility that it has gotten so sickening it may have started to motivate people.
cybaster
Private
Private

by Winterflaw » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:10 pm

Crackéd wrote:I'm sorry, but if you believe just building gcc is difficult, I cannot take you seriously. The entire process is streamlined, maybe if you somehow lost the makefiles, then I would believe you would be in deep trouble, but hey, you can always just open gcc repo and download it again. It is as simple as compiling any other program, and adding a pattern match + replace sequence (all tools are obviously linked already since that is what a parser does anyway) is child's play, since the code is relatively well written and documented.

What you've written about compiling is true for the most recent releases on x86_64. I was building every released version from 4.1.2, on four different hardware platforms. For example, you cannot build GCC earlier than 4.7.4 on a Raspberry Pi, because of the lack of mixed-mode HW/SW floating point support. x86_64 did a lot better than the other platforms, although it still had plenty of problems once you went back before say release 5.

Regarding modifing the code emitted by GCC, I have never tried it, so I could be completely wrong, but I think the compiler builds and uses complex internal representations of the source code. Modifying those would be a *lot* of work to understand them well enough to be able to do so. The only way I could imagine being viable without much effort would be to grab the source files immediately after they had been read but before any processing had been done. Parsing a source file in C is a non-trivial task because the BNF notation supports infinite depth. You could try a blind "detect this fixed string" but that's fragile, to say the least. You could let GCC do the parsing, but then you're modifying partially processed code in one of the various intermediate representations GCC uses, which would I suspect take a great deal of effort to figure out.
Winterflaw
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Winterflaw » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:12 pm

nervous wrote:You're welcome to believe that this time, THIS time, will be the one time where everything is pure and run by perfect people. After 10+ years of private servers, this will be the one server to be without personal gain by the devs.

Rebirth always seemed to be run honourably. The problem they had seemed to be more competence - every time the player base started to get up to 1k, something would go terribly wrong and the server would be down for n months, undoing all the growth.
Winterflaw
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by nervous » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:54 am

Winterflaw wrote:
nervous wrote:You're welcome to believe that this time, THIS time, will be the one time where everything is pure and run by perfect people. After 10+ years of private servers, this will be the one server to be without personal gain by the devs.

Rebirth always seemed to be run honourably. The problem they had seemed to be more competence - every time the player base started to get up to 1k, something would go terribly wrong and the server would be down for n months, undoing all the growth.

You seemed to miss the dev taking donation money to "fix" the server and leaving on a vacation.
<GRIZZLY>
nervous
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Redcap » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:18 pm

To the gold farmer hugging, power tripping, cash-out-of-thin-air scumbags that took open source efforts for as much profit as you could squeeze out of them and NOT give back your updated code to those projects....
Can you hear it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcZyiYOzsSw

http://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-how-bliz ... w-servers/

That sound you're hearing is the collective shoes of ALL of your NA and EU players walking out the door.
Get rekt, subhumans.
And to my fellow coders of the original Trinity Core project of 2009 - We helped pave the way. I'll see you in game in a year.
Redcap
Sergeant
Sergeant

Previous

Return to Off topic