Death of Elysium, birth of Light's Hope

Discuss anything here. But do not forget that our rules still apply !

Re: Death of Elysium, birth of Light's Hope

by Crackéd » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:16 pm

metagame wrote:I never said it was okay, but it's a fact we have to deal with, and we have to look past it to be able to play vanilla WoW.

At least Elysium open sourced their core.

Ultimately it comes down to deception and untrustworthiness. I'm pretty sure everyone realizes money is needed to run the servers (even though I don't think the developers have been active nearly enough to justify a "salary", let alone for Shenna, who did fuck all basically).

If donations are not enough, there are legitimate ways to make money other than deceiving your community. Yes, people will bitch that shit like selling ingame pets, tabards, mounts (that weren't obtainable by playing) is not blizzlike, but a balance needs to be struck.

In short, don't fuck with people because they will fuck you back always.
Crackéd
Tester

by Motorbreath » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:08 pm

Double post
Last edited by Pottu on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double post
Motorbreath
Private
Private

by Dralek-- » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:10 pm

Problem is that unless you can come up with a monetary solution to this problem, then it makes it imposible to run such a big server.

I really do understand shenna's point, she is working on the project 12 hours at the time, it would make perfect sense she gets some monetary compensation from it, I mean she does need to eat and pay rent. Crogge's point isn't bad either, I mean gold sellers do exist anyways and history has proven they are nerly imposible to erradictae from that, not to mention its the players themselves who buy the gold...

Personally I agree witht he majority that the lack of transparency is what ruins the community, considering the players donated the money for hardware.

In any case there is always the risk of this happening in any realm, so unless you come up with an item shop or an arrangement with players to a monthly donation, this problem may haunt the community again. There are ways to make an item shop and provide benefits to players for money without affecting the general game balance.
Dralek--
Tester

by cybaster » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:30 pm

Winterflaw wrote:In a court, there is a prosecution and a defence. All evidence is provided, the jury deliberates. The prosecution argues for guilt, the defence for innocence.

The game's over, Winter. The scores were tallied, the teams have left the stadium. There's nothing left to play.
cybaster
Private
Private

by Redcap » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:29 am

Fact 1) Elysium staff member(s) stole money from the paypal account set up to receive donations from players that were given with the expressed intent of server costs / upkeep.

Fact 2) Elysium staff member(s) generated both character accounts, attached pvp ranks, gear and gold out of thin air for sale on 3rd party web sites.

Fact 3) White Kidney did more than sell gold 'seven years ago' - he sold gold, exploits, and a bot during his days here at Nostalrius until he was banned -- https://imgur.com/a/rV1g2

Speculation) You can consider any account names, passwords, and email names as sold (or will be sold) the moment Elysium staff determines there's insufficient profit to be made from their project.

I submit a person would have to be a fool to give either Elysium or Light's Hope even a second glance as an option to play classic WoW.
Redcap
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Motorbreath » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:04 am

So how long does it really take to approve a comment?
I've been waiting for eighteen hours so far. At least five comments have been approved since.
Is this the new found transparency or am I the only one who said something wrong?
Motorbreath
Private
Private

by Winterflaw » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:04 am

"The evidence is overwhelming! we don't NEED to hear the defendants or to consider their situation! Put the accused in jail *immediately!*"

"Next case!"

Things go so much quicker when you only have a prosecution :-) just like in Mother Russia!

And that's my point. Jurisprudence. It doesn't *matter* what the evidence is. You *always* consider both sides, and *then* an *IMPARTIAL* jury makes the call.

This is not jurisprudence. It's a bunch of people who really don't like Ely and what was done, getting worked up about what was done, maximizing the evidence which favours what they feel, ignoring and/or not looking for any information which goes against it, and wholly condemning the accused. I'm not saying it didn't happen - I'm not offering *any* opinion about *the thing itself*, I'm ONLY saying - this is not jurisprudence. This is a bunch of angry people being angry and feeling *good* about being angry. It has no value at all as a means by which to think about or consider what happened.
Winterflaw
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Athene » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:14 am

Now you know, you can only trust the French :)

Ps: Don't trust Pottu.
<Genesis>
youtube.com/GenesisGuilde

MSBT [Continued] landed on Nostalrius, check it here: forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=1721
Athene
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by cybaster » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:20 pm

Whitekidney is an interesting case. Nobody's disputing his bad behavior in the good ol' days.

But I have to wonder - if he wanted to be on the take, why did he play such a large role in splitting the two servers?

There's two possibilities: The first is that he's a good boy now.

The second is that he wanted in on the action, and Crogge and Shenna wouldn't let him in on the profits.

In case of the second, he'd have to be out of his mind to try to skim off the top now, considering he just took every single player from Elysium who isn't just happy to keep playing, and will explode at the merest jingle of dirty money. If this is a scam, he just inherited the single body of players in this community the most likely to find him out and guaranteed to quit in a single server ruining mass exodus.

There won't be a split if Light's Hope goes bad. It'll just implode. All of the human cattle grateful to be exploited are staying at the smouldering remains of Elysium.

In terms of time invested to profit gained, I'd say flipping burgers would be a better hustle, after considering how much time he's going to have to invest in Light's Hope (Tons) just how long it would last. (Not very)

There's no way he could be that dumb. Nobody's that dumb. Well, okay. I can think of two people. 8-)
cybaster
Private
Private

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic