Druids should have been NE only.

Role-play forum section.

Re: Druids should have been NE only.

by ZanTheBonebreaker » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:04 am

Yeah Druid for alliance and Warlock for Horde does sound pretty fucking good, until you realise Warlocks healing would be a bit silly.
Painmistress - Level 60 Rogue
Breaking for the Horde.
ZanTheBonebreaker
Private
Private

by Viorus » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:43 pm

I was making a character out of boredom the other night and one of the first sentences in the Alliance description is a hatred for all things demonic. LOL @ alliance warlocks.
Viorin, 60 Night Elf Druid (USA), Knight-Champion

"Strive for greatness."
Viorus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Keldan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:06 pm

Viorus wrote:There is no magic usage amonst the Tauren (save shockwave).

I can't wrap my head around how the hell the taurens were chosen to become druids. The only explanation that comes to mind would be that they felt both factions needed druids in order to be balanced.

Yeah, that's pretty much the reason. It was briefly (like really briefly) explained that Malfurion learned it to Tauren after Hyjal (meaning that every single Tauren Druid is a beginner) who learned quickly because their race used to master it a long time ago.
Though, there is a "magic" basis for Taurens, the Spirit walker existed in The Frozen Throne. They are more Shaman related according to traditional Warcraft lore, however, even if modern lore details their phase shifting as Emerald Dream-linked.
Viorus wrote:Anyways, I'm done ranting. Hope you guys found this interesting / entertaining. Hopefully a server comes out one day with the races/factions that fit the LORE, no the developers wishes.

I think about making a mod who would fix some things in the world (like purple instead of red for Warsong buildings, only green orcs, appropriate reskins for Quel'lithien/other high elf buildings, add cosmetic mobs like Chimaeras or Ancients, dark-blue instead of purple Ashenvale, remake the (interface) World map and drawing all islands..) and it would be compatible with Nostalrius (everything would only be cosmetic) and a bit closer to traditional lore. But actions without doing anything server side is limited.
Anyway custom servers don't bring a lot of people. And I don't have much time and people might not be interested so everything will probably just stay a dream.
Keldan
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Klanlock » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:02 pm

Garfunkel wrote:You're of course correct and a good solution would have been, as MoapChan said, to make warlocks Horde exclusive. Then you'd have druids/pallies on Alliance and shamans/locks on Horde.

My dream version of WoW would have been 3 factions instead of 2, each with only 2 races.

Alliance - Humans and Dwarves.
Horde - Orcs and Trolls.
Kalimdor(or whatever) - Night elves and Tauren.

No Forsaken, all undead are part of the Scourge. Gnomes the same as goblins.

Of course, there will never be a server/game like that.

HEY.

Don't talk shit about my precious Forsaken. Undeads rock a warlock better than any other damn race in the game.
Klanlock
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Viorus » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:01 pm

Keldan wrote:
Viorus wrote:There is no magic usage amonst the Tauren (save shockwave).

I can't wrap my head around how the hell the taurens were chosen to become druids. The only explanation that comes to mind would be that they felt both factions needed druids in order to be balanced.

Yeah, that's pretty much the reason. It was briefly (like really briefly) explained that Malfurion learned it to Tauren after Hyjal (meaning that every single Tauren Druid is a beginner) who learned quickly because their race used to master it a long time ago.
Though, there is a "magic" basis for Taurens, the Spirit walker existed in The Frozen Throne. They are more Shaman related according to traditional Warcraft lore, however, even if modern lore details their phase shifting as Emerald Dream-linked.
Viorus wrote:Anyways, I'm done ranting. Hope you guys found this interesting / entertaining. Hopefully a server comes out one day with the races/factions that fit the LORE, no the developers wishes.

I think about making a mod who would fix some things in the world (like purple instead of red for Warsong buildings, only green orcs, appropriate reskins for Quel'lithien/other high elf buildings, add cosmetic mobs like Chimaeras or Ancients, dark-blue instead of purple Ashenvale, remake the (interface) World map and drawing all islands..) and it would be compatible with Nostalrius (everything would only be cosmetic) and a bit closer to traditional lore. But actions without doing anything server side is limited.
Anyway custom servers don't bring a lot of people. And I don't have much time and people might not be interested so everything will probably just stay a dream.

Oh nice I totally forgot about spirit walkers... Mainly cause they are so little lol.

"Strive for greatness."
Viorus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by GeneralRoucool » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:17 pm

Druids Taurens are totally lore-friendly :
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/Forestlord_and_the_First_Druids
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/Xarantaur & http://wowwiki.wikia.com/Hamuul_Runetotem
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/Cenarion_Circle

But I don't know where Worgens and Trolls learnt the druidism.

And why only the horde could have Warlocks ?
In most societies warlocks live on the fringe of civilization, tolerated but not trusted. Human warlocks meet in secret in the basement of a bar in Stormwind. Within the Horde, Thrall has expressed discomfort with the warlocks, but understanding their utility, he has allowed them to work within the Cleft of Shadow.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/Warlock#History
GeneralRoucool
Tester

by Justinlc91 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:58 pm

You know, there's a lot of lore outside of Warcraft 3 . . The tauren are native to Azeroth and thus one of the oldest races, their creator very likely being the Titan, Eonar, who they regard as the Earth Mother (although it's important to point out that the Earth Mother is referred to all nature, from a stone to the kodo); by the time the tauren discovered nature magic the nelves had already establish the Highborne (nelves were once dark trolls who discovered the well of eternity and once setting up camp on it's shores began to change in to the elves we know and love today; this gave them a distinct evolutionary advantage over the other races of azeroth). In fact the tauren fear nelves as being super-natural beings of substantial power, to be revered even for their magical prowess. It's only after the first war and the great sundering that the nelves dedicate fully to nature magic. In the earlier tauren quests there is a clear reference to the tauren being well acquainted to druid magic before the nelves and their "prideful ways (in regard to their outlook on nature magic)".

I understand that it's kind of cheating using lore from expansions that haven't happened yet in vanilla WoW but the facts are still there; Tauren practiced nature magic before the night elves. That's not to say that the tauren were at all on par with night elf druid magic though. . . the nelves really paved the way, all the way to the cenarion circle actually; it's easy for night elves and the tauren to get along so well because they share a lot of the same morals and outlooks, and since the tauren helped them in the first war they night elves easily respect the tauren race.
Last edited by Justinlc91 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justinlc91
Private
Private

by Justinlc91 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:05 pm

GeneralRoucool wrote:Druids Taurens are totally lore-friendly :
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/Forestlord_and_the_First_Druids
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/Xarantaur & http://wowwiki.wikia.com/Hamuul_Runetotem
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/Cenarion_Circle

But I don't know where Worgens and Trolls learnt the druidism.

And why only the horde could have Warlocks ?
In most societies warlocks live on the fringe of civilization, tolerated but not trusted. Human warlocks meet in secret in the basement of a bar in Stormwind. Within the Horde, Thrall has expressed discomfort with the warlocks, but understanding their utility, he has allowed them to work within the Cleft of Shadow.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/Warlock#History

I don't know much about Troll Druids. . .Worgen though! I've studied with glee : ). It's a common impression that Worgen druids weren't really druids at all until the night elves arrived . .commonly referred to as a member "of the Harvest" their nature magic begins and end with the growth of crops and preservation of healthy land; without nature magic to speed the growth of crops and make the harvest bountiful Gilneans would have starved. There's a reference to those 'druids' speaking with the element of wind though, which isn't really so odd being that druidism is a form of shamanism, but it is a little confusing since the 'druids' of the harvest didn't have the same relation with nature as the tauren or night elves. . . the only explanation is that the spirit of wind of course loves to talk and anxiously whispers to the ears of the gilneans who are really the only practitioners of nature magic in the once Lordaeron.
After the worgen transformation, and the night elves arriving, the druids easily adopted the concepts of beast transformation and the balance of nature. . some gilnean quest-hubs have a druid who speaks of the new out-look in to the balance of nature and how although it's a new concept, is one that is adopted avidly.
Justinlc91
Private
Private

by Justinlc91 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:08 pm

Also. . . Warlock on the Alliance make sense if you relinquish the thought that they are all power-hungry maniacs and adopt the concept that many are simply 'scholars' in the dark arts to fight fire with fire, so to speak. A really good human warlock RP is to be just that; someone with substantial will power and control over those forces, defying that absolute power corrupts absolutely. Whether or not the dark magic makes or breaks your alliance warlock is up to you ; ).
Justinlc91
Private
Private

by Viorus » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:43 pm

Thank you guys for all of this lore info! I had no idea how in depth it was. I am still stubborn however.

I still feel as though they write lore in order to fit with making the game 'care bear' friendly, where everyone has access to everything (paladins on the horde? WTF).

I see the horde as the evil races, akin to the orcs/goblins/marauders of LOTR and the alliance akin to the hobbits/dwarves/elves/men. The fact that Thrall has all these morals is STUPID to me because he is horde scum and deserves death by sword XD.

I DO see how Tauren could have a connection to Nature, but DEFINITELY NOT the ways of the druid which are clearly connected to the night elves (fairy fire, entangling roots, rejuvenation, druids of the claw, star fire, cyclone in later expansions) whereas the TAUREN have the spiritwalker (Spirit link) which IMHO fits in with the Tauren race much better. Sorry cows, no druids for you!

Keep up the good discussion and criticize away :)

"Strive for greatness."
Viorus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Role Play