What's wrong with Sylvanas?

Role-play forum section.

Re: What's wrong with Sylvanas?

by Viorus » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:46 pm

She deserves death by the sword, that's what.
Viorin, 60 Night Elf Druid (USA), Knight-Champion

"Strive for greatness."
Viorus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Ruthus » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:00 am

Blizzard has kind of a hard time writing compelling female leads.

Maiev kills Illidan, then descends into existential crisis.
Sylvanas kills Arthas, existential crisis.
Jaina helps see Garrosh dead, existential crisis.

I don't really think her personality changed much, she was just more palatable in Vanilla because she had something to do other than be a cackling melodramatic supervillain.
Ruthus
Tester

by JCarrill0 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:08 pm

SPOILER ALERT! read at your own risk!

Ruthus wrote:Blizzard has kind of a hard time writing compelling female leads.

Sarah Kerrigan
Ruthus wrote:Maiev kills Illidan, then descends into existential crisis.

She was a Warden, jailor for Illidan, her vengence became bloodlust.
Maiev is now a vigilante who wishes death to any whom she believes have wronged her

I await her entrance into HotS
Ruthus wrote:Jaina helps see Garrosh dead, existential crisis.

She has a lot of hatred build up in that bloodline. Did you know her Father?
Jaina took the fallen mage's place as leader of the Kirin Tor and head of the Council of Six

She is a fierce leader, but I beilive she still holds a key to a scheme of much bigger things beyond the struggle of the Alliance vs Horde.
Ruthus wrote:Sylvanas kills Arthas, existential crisis.

I don't really think her personality changed much, she was just more palatable in Vanilla because she had something to do other than be a cackling melodramatic supervillain.

I would say it has changed a lot. She once defended her Elven lands to becoming the very things she was fighting against.
she then embraces her inhumanity/monstrosity and created a secure future for her race and people.
After the fall of the Lich King, Sylvanas came to the shocking realization that she, like Arthas before her, was damned to an eternity of darkness and torture in the afterlife. After entering into a pact with the val'kyr, Sylvanas was able to regain her place in the realm of the living for as long as her val'kyr survive. Knowing the dark fate that will inevitably befall her, Sylvanas has embraced her people as a bulwark against the horrifying darkness that awaits her in the end.[5] Following this, Sylvanas has launched an aggressive attack into the regions of Lordaeron and the greater Eastern Kingdoms not directly under her control, in an attempt to conquer the continent and secure it for the Forsaken.

Now she will try and become the next Lich King (or in her case Lich Queen) it is a matter of time. if you read her entire History, her personality changes A LOT!
JCarrillo - Highlord of <Heroes of Terenas>
JCarrill0
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by earthwarder » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:29 pm

She was a HIGH ELF

and yes we all love sylvanas, blizzard plz let me play as a dark ranger undead elf plzzzzzzzzzzz
earthwarder
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Ruthus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:44 pm

I never played Starcraft, so I wouldn't be able to comment on Kerrigan.

Maiev killed Illidan and became a "vigilante," which, in the context of the ingame events, probably means "has been doing nothing since 2007."

Jaina's current writing bugs me because people have this idea--based mostly on aesthetic--that Sylvanas should be the new Arthas, even though Jaina's Purge of Dalaran was pretty clearly meant to mirror the Culling of Stratholme. And in the first place, I don't think it's very believable that after Arthas and Daelin, it's Garrosh, whom pretty much the whole world hates, that drives her off the deep end. Furthermore, Theramore was a military installation that was sending spies into Garrosh's backyard. I really don't think Jaina has much right to act the victim, but this could have a whole separate thread started about it.

Regarding Sylvanas, see above. She spent Vanilla and Burning Crusade securing central Lordaeron, stealing Scourge siege weapons, drudging a shipwrecked navy up, making friends in Quel'Thalas, etc. IE, preparing for war. In Wrath, that war happened, she got what she wanted (in that Arthas was killed) and now all anybody can think to do with her is smack her around with the Villain Bat. It's kind of annoying.
Ruthus
Tester

Previous

Return to Role Play