What's wrong with Sylvanas?

Role-play forum section.

What's wrong with Sylvanas?

by codrumd » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:12 am

First I need to start by telling you guys that I rolled my first toon in wow, not because I was all into the faction war, or the fact that I fancied the lore behind a particular race. Nope, not the case. I wasn't a horde fanboy neither. I rolled my undead priest because I loved Sylvanas with all my heart. During Vanilla, TBC and partially Wotlk I loved every bit of lore behind this character. The pain, the rougery, the vengeance. Then I started liking forsaken as a faction, and tolerating the entire horde in general. But I can't, I just freaking can't stand to what Blizz done to this character in Cata and MoP.
To those who are not familiar with the lore:
The Wrathgate happened because Sylvanas trusted a Dreadlord. That's right, she trusted a demon, and let him oversee the research on the new plague. What could go wrong, right?
Shortly after Lich Kings death Sylvanas goes all crazy and decides to commit a suicide and jumps off of the Icecrown Citadel. The Val'kyrs save her life though and offer her a pact. Well, she's pretty much like a cat nowadays, 9 lives and emotionally unstable.
Then she begins raising her own army of mindless servants. Not caring at all that she's becoming the new Lech King v.2.0. After all she's been through, she decides to make others suffer equally. I mean, teh fcuk?
In "War Crimes" she's plotting together with Vereesa in order to poison Garrosh. The family reunion makes Sylvanas very happy and she has those "feelings" again, the ones she couldn't have during her undeath life. She offers Vereesa a place in Undercity and Vereesa accepts the invitation. Yet Vereesa changes her mind shortly after and Sylvanas is again all bitter and crazy.
We all know that Sylvanas is a bit mad, but Blizz wants to make her look utterly retarded. She's like a woman during her menopause. I kinda think they're planning to make her a raid boos in the near future. What do you guys think? Does her character development even make sense? Do you like her "vanilla" personality more than her modern attitude?
codrumd
Private
Private

Re: What's wrong with Sylvanas?

by Karkarov » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:51 pm

She was definitely more interesting in the beginning but Blizzard hates all Horde racial leaders that aren't Orcs so what do you expect? Also she used to be a Night Elf, and we of the horde especially know that Night Elves are bad decision makers.
Karkarov
Tester

by Xylon666Darkstar » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:17 pm

High Elf. Not Night Elf.
Xylon666Darkstar
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by codrumd » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:31 am

Karkarov wrote:She was definitely more interesting in the beginning but Blizzard hates all Horde racial leaders that aren't Orcs so what do you expect? Also she used to be a Night Elf, and we of the horde especially know that Night Elves are bad decision makers.

Well Vol'jin seems to be their new favourite racial leader for now.
codrumd
Private
Private

by Joseph » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:32 am

Xylon666Darkstar wrote:High Elf. Not Night Elf.

Blood Elf, she used to live in Quel'Thalas where she was killed by Arthas.
Joseph
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by JCarrill0 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:53 pm

Joseph wrote:
Xylon666Darkstar wrote:High Elf. Not Night Elf.

Blood Elf, she used to live in Quel'Thalas where she was killed by Arthas.

Blood Elves were high elvers renamed by Prince Kael after she was turned into a Banshee, She was a former High Elf, never a Blood Elf.
JCarrillo - Highlord of <Heroes of Terenas>
JCarrill0
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Joseph » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:36 pm

He changed their name to Blood Elves when they moved to Quel'Thalas because they chose to continue using arcane magic unlike the night elves who have abandoned it
Joseph
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by codrumd » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:12 am

Joseph wrote:He changed their name to Blood Elves when they moved to Quel'Thalas because they chose to continue using arcane magic unlike the night elves who have abandoned it

But she did die as a High Elf.
codrumd
Private
Private

by Halfway Decent » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:37 am

Joseph wrote:He changed their name to Blood Elves when they moved to Quel'Thalas because they chose to continue using arcane magic unlike the night elves who have abandoned it

If we're going to get into this, let's at least do it right, please.

The Night Elves had two castes, more of less. The normal caste of Kal'dorei, and those of a higher caste that used arcane magic more frequently called the Highborne, or Quel'dorei. After the Highborne were exiled, the Quel'dorei moved to the region that would become Quel'thalas, and evolved into the modern High Elf.

The High Elves, still referred to as Quel'dorei in elvish, were then slaughtered close to the brink of extinction in the Third War by the Death Knight Arthas, and with their king slain, the leadership of the High Elves advanced to the next Sunstrider, Kael'thas. Kael'thas chose to rename the High Elven society to Blood Elves, or Sin'dorei, in honor of their fallen brethen.

Not long after events of the Third War the Blood Elves were then split again. The elven society had two groups, those who were fiercely loyal to Kael'thas and accepted the idea of using Fel Magic to curb their Arcane addiction, and those opposed to the idea. Lord Regent Lor'themar had those who refused the use of Fel Magic exiled from Quel'thalas to avoid a civil war. Those exiled now returned to the Alliance and reverted to calling themselves High Elves, or Quel'dorei, to differentiate themselves from the now Fel-tainted Blood Elves, or Sin'dorei.

So, in recap, Sylvanas Windrunner was Ranger-General of the High Elven forces in Quel'thalas when they were attacked in the Third War by Arthas, thus she died as a High Elf and was never referred to as a Blood Elf. Thank you.
Halfway Decent
Tester

by Hammersplat » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:46 am

codrumd wrote:First I need to start by telling you guys that I rolled my first toon in wow, not because I was all into the faction war, or the fact that I fancied the lore behind a particular race. Nope, not the case. I wasn't a horde fanboy neither. I rolled my undead priest because I loved Sylvanas with all my heart. During Vanilla, TBC and partially Wotlk I loved every bit of lore behind this character. The pain, the rougery, the vengeance. Then I started liking forsaken as a faction, and tolerating the entire horde in general. But I can't, I just freaking can't stand to what Blizz done to this character in Cata and MoP.
To those who are not familiar with the lore:
The Wrathgate happened because Sylvanas trusted a Dreadlord. That's right, she trusted a demon, and let him oversee the research on the new plague. What could go wrong, right?
Shortly after Lich Kings death Sylvanas goes all crazy and decides to commit a suicide and jumps off of the Icecrown Citadel. The Val'kyrs save her life though and offer her a pact. Well, she's pretty much like a cat nowadays, 9 lives and emotionally unstable.
Then she begins raising her own army of mindless servants. Not caring at all that she's becoming the new Lech King v.2.0. After all she's been through, she decides to make others suffer equally. I mean, teh fcuk?
In "War Crimes" she's plotting together with Vereesa in order to poison Garrosh. The family reunion makes Sylvanas very happy and she has those "feelings" again, the ones she couldn't have during her undeath life. She offers Vereesa a place in Undercity and Vereesa accepts the invitation. Yet Vereesa changes her mind shortly after and Sylvanas is again all bitter and crazy.
We all know that Sylvanas is a bit mad, but Blizz wants to make her look utterly retarded. She's like a woman during her menopause. I kinda think they're planning to make her a raid boos in the near future. What do you guys think? Does her character development even make sense? Do you like her "vanilla" personality more than her modern attitude?

I love Sylvanas too, she is surrounded by idiots so it's no wonder she gets cranky at times. She's powerful, she's hot and she's a crazy bitch, you can't have her turn nice. So I don't think blizz will do that. We already have miss nicey nice, Jaina Proudmore. I don't think they will kill her off either.
Hammersplat
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Role Play