What is the deal with RP

Role-play forum section.

What is the deal with RP

by Talryx » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:20 pm

I am just wondering... seriously what is the story with RP? The players who RP, do you just like type out long narratives, is that what is really going on in those RP channels (and on the RP-themed retail servers, which I never tried obviously?)

I just don't understand the motivation of it, when there is an actual game sitting there for you to play.

Back when MUDs were popular, I understood the people who roleplayed a lot, because there were no visuals or sound, just text.

But with WoW... I mean why is it more fun to sit around in a tavern and talk about an imaginary event when you could actually go out and do something in the game together? (Or I am just misunderstanding what you guys are doing???)

Also, what happens if some douche bag screws up the whole scenario by just being an ass? Do you run into that a lot? (Think about all the retards on barrens chat for example... now imagine one of those turds wanders in your RP channel/group/etc and just trolls hard for like 5-10 minutes...)
Talryx
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: What is the deal with RP

by Halfway Decent » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:21 am

Well, it depends on the type of person, I suppose? The LFRP channel in particular isn't IC, it's just used to gather people who like to RP and allow them to set up events or ask for people interested in RPing at that time.

Anyway, are we all typing out super long narratives? Generally, no. Some people do, but most don't. An average post is about a sentence or two long, sometimes more, and even more times less! It all depends on the person, but the whole point is to try and be somewhat realistic? Nobody actually holds conversation by spouting out epic ballads.

As to how RP actually works, it's a myriad. We have times where we just gather in a tavern and bullshit, and it's the same for any other group of friends. I'll turn the question, why would you and some buds of yours just sit on your couch with a few beers instead of going out and doing something? We just feel like doing it sometimes. Other times however, people will come up with story-lines they want played out, our encounters of either PvE or PvP variety, and these are called events, usually. So we'll gather a bunch of people and go out and do something in this game, but we RP at the same time. We're basically just writing one big collaborative book, but instead of writing out descriptions for the enviroment or our characters, we let the in-game engine do that, or we have add ons that do it for us.

Again, this is all general information as everyone does it differently, RP is what you make of it, but that's usually how it goes! As for trolls, we deal with them the same way everyone else does in every other situation. We ignore them, and if we can sometimes we'll report them because griefing is griefing whether it's to RPers or not.
Halfway Decent
Tester

by Avenhold » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:12 pm

Halfway Decent wrote:Well, it depends on the type of person, I suppose? The LFRP channel in particular isn't IC, it's just used to gather people who like to RP and allow them to set up events or ask for people interested in RPing at that time.

Anyway, are we all typing out super long narratives? Generally, no. Some people do, but most don't. An average post is about a sentence or two long, sometimes more, and even more times less! It all depends on the person, but the whole point is to try and be somewhat realistic? Nobody actually holds conversation by spouting out epic ballads.

As to how RP actually works, it's a myriad. We have times where we just gather in a tavern and bullshit, and it's the same for any other group of friends. I'll turn the question, why would you and some buds of yours just sit on your couch with a few beers instead of going out and doing something? We just feel like doing it sometimes. Other times however, people will come up with story-lines they want played out, our encounters of either PvE or PvP variety, and these are called events, usually. So we'll gather a bunch of people and go out and do something in this game, but we RP at the same time. We're basically just writing one big collaborative book, but instead of writing out descriptions for the enviroment or our characters, we let the in-game engine do that, or we have add ons that do it for us.

Again, this is all general information as everyone does it differently, RP is what you make of it, but that's usually how it goes! As for trolls, we deal with them the same way everyone else does in every other situation. We ignore them, and if we can sometimes we'll report them because griefing is griefing whether it's to RPers or not.

In essence. I couldn't have put it better myself. Just something we do.
Greyan, Priest of the Holy Light
Grongin, Beardling of Anvilmar
Marados, Student of Magic
Avenhold
Grunt
Grunt

by riq and snog » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:21 pm

If u dont like rp dont bother?
not everyone wants to be a bis geared dragonslayer/hwl/gm!
Its just a different approach to an MMO, and since the wow universe does have a huge history behind it people enjoy roleplaying within it. In the end its about enjoying a game with friends from all over the world:-)
riq and snog
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Talryx » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:49 am

I was really just curious. Thanks half that explains it fairly well. Like I said, back in the MUD/MOO days, people would RP all the time so I was wondering since I keep seeing people asking about RP lately.
Talryx
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by msg45f » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:34 am

Talryx wrote:I was really just curious. Thanks half that explains it fairly well. Like I said, back in the MUD/MOO days, people would RP all the time so I was wondering since I keep seeing people asking about RP lately.

I think you look at the game in a very different way. RPers don't see a game to be won, but a life to be lived. A quest isn't a calculation of time investment versus reward, but by its affect on the world and on the character. A raid or instance isn't a collection of boss strategies and drops, but rather the overcoming of a great threat facing the world.

What you might enjoy as just 'playing the game' an RP player may see as trivializing the world by reducing it to a measurement that focuses entirely on players' perspective. In real life, I could reach measurably great accomplishments by doing nothing but working. But would it be enjoyable? Would it be valuable to me? I don't think so. RPers treat the experience of the game the same way. Being a part of a fantastic world is more enjoyable than playing a game boiled down to its most basic elements.
msg45f
Tester

by Shamballah » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:04 pm

The point with RP is that you stop to be a fuckin robot farming and rushing.

You consider yourself and others as intelligent humans able to speak with creativity.

You extend the interest of being in group to friendship and courtesy, not only to loots, ranks or whatever.

You gather to create an event, because you enjoy just to share with friends.

And then enjoy to pvp or pve atop of that.

All my best memories on wow are RP.

You talk about life, about everything, I remember all nights talking atop of mushrooms at Zangar...

I remeber when we celebrated Weddings and partys in my guild, such nice moments.

Real friendship, even Real love stories continued after in real life inside my guild.
Shamballah
Tester

by Macho » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:57 pm

The Star-Spangled Superstar

AWWWWW NOSTALRIUS.. DON'T YOU DARE BE SOUR! CLAP FOR YOUR CHAMP AND FEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAAH!
Macho
Private
Private

by Aleenik » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:50 pm

msg45f wrote:
Talryx wrote:I was really just curious. Thanks half that explains it fairly well. Like I said, back in the MUD/MOO days, people would RP all the time so I was wondering since I keep seeing people asking about RP lately.

I think you look at the game in a very different way. RPers don't see a game to be won, but a life to be lived. A quest isn't a calculation of time investment versus reward, but by its affect on the world and on the character. A raid or instance isn't a collection of boss strategies and drops, but rather the overcoming of a great threat facing the world.

What you might enjoy as just 'playing the game' an RP player may see as trivializing the world by reducing it to a measurement that focuses entirely on players' perspective. In real life, I could reach measurably great accomplishments by doing nothing but working. But would it be enjoyable? Would it be valuable to me? I don't think so. RPers treat the experience of the game the same way. Being a part of a fantastic world is more enjoyable than playing a game boiled down to its most basic elements.

I am gonna have to borrow this. You explained the difference between the outlooks so perfectly.
Aleenik
Private
Private

by Cwasm » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:58 am

Writing is fun to people.

That's why people write books. Having a character and writing alongside other people to create a story can be a really cool experience and bring a new level of depth to the game and the character that they experience it with. It's not for everybody obviously but it's not as weird as a lot of people seem to make it out to be.
Lantern - 60 Warlock <Ritual>
Cwasm
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to Role Play