<A> A Letter from Abroad

Role-play forum section.

<A> A Letter from Abroad

by robertxz » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Hello, my friend and brother,

I hope that your service to the Light has been fulfilling, and that you have had success in staying true to the path of righteousness. Like you but shortly later, I received the gift of Redemption and found myself in distant Kalimdor, among the elves. The journey overland to the port on our continent was hazardous, but, thanks to the intervention of some well-placed guards and two kind passersby, only once did Hammer of Justice and Divine Protection prove insufficient. The voyage across the sea was uneventful, but I arrived weary and lost. Since then I have mostly wandered the land until I was to sore of foot to continue, and rest on the bare ground without a fire in a place of majestic ruin where hawkers sell pots of bean soup.

What an odd land this is! Flat but festooned with trees the height and breadth of mountains, roamed by featherless and flightless birds taller than a horse, enmeshed in comforting dimness all the while I travelled through it. I passed a very large but friendly snow-white bear that guards the side of the road, and spoke to an improbable being twice as tall as an ogre and seemingly made of living foliage, which bade me seek out information on Defias. Yes, the scum trouble good folk even here. Some things are everywhere the same.

I encountered few folk in my wanderings, and none seemed to pay me mind, as they are not much different from the folk of our homeland, with men, gnomes and dwarves among the elves. My task in the morning after rest will be to find where good folk who stand on the threshold of death most need to have their souls restored to their bodies, and others who have the art to accomplish it are scarce. I shall write to you again when I can, but writing to me might prove difficult, as I cannot know where I shall be for mail to be directed. I shall presume that you read these missives and wish to continue receiving them. Until then, I am,

Your friend and sister,

The Redeemer
robertxz
Private
Private

Re: <A> A Letter from Abroad

by ZamuelZA » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:13 am

Interesting read! Would love to hear more from your journeys!
ZamuelZA
Tester

by robertxz » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:59 am

Friend and brother,

My career as the Redeemer has been somewhat diverted, as I have acquired a ward, a young fellow who took a blow to the head in childhood and became strange. I came upon him on a brief return to his native Menethil, where he was the object of disregard by many and mockery by a few. I do not understand him any more than others do, and perhaps than he does himself; and, as he does not spak, that is a state of affairs that will perhaps never be remedied. I have tried the healing arts granted to us by the Light but mine prove insufficient, and I cannot persuade him to travel with me to the offices of our teachers and guides so that they might perhaps attempt to heal him. He seems obsessed with raising funds in order to craft fine garments of the sort you see priests wear to battle, but then immediately converts them to materials for the purpose of creating a powerful wand. Much of the time his efforts are for naught, as such magics are a chancy business; and upon acquiring the sought-after materials he crafts a fine weapon and immediately attempts to train himself in its use; but he cannot, and in frustration he sells it to whatever local hawker will give him a pittance for it. As his mind is beyond my reach, I attempt to ensure that he has what he needs in order to remain fed and clothed. Recently I was moved to liquidate all possessions I dared part with and provide him with the funds for the sake of his battle supplies, as he fights strangely and ineffectively and cannot be persuaded to seek instruction.

I observed him for a time travelling in the dwarven and human lands, but have lost sight of him, and am now back i Kalimdor raising funds to feed myself. It shames me to be a mercenary from necessity, but the folk near the sea dock are fine and upstanding, and the tasks they send me upon are agreeable.

Please write back to me and tell me of your doings. As life is hectic I might not be in a position to respond soon, but shall read all you write wtih interest.

Your friend and sister,

The Redeemer
robertxz
Private
Private

by robertxz » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:30 am

Friend and brother,

My ward perished in the dwarven lands at the teeth of beasts. I nearly perished myself retrieving his remains, which were beyond redemption by then. Instead of transporting them back to Menethil, where he had no one, I buried him in the nearest cemetery. Should you ever travel the dwarven lands just west of Searing Gorge and east of the Loch, you will find his grave in a small cemetery in the wilderness.

At the cemetery I met a man attending to whatever affairs he had there. He is a moneychanger with no love for aught but gold. Normally I avoid all contact with such, but lack of funds had left me wtihout food or drink for two days and both my weapon and my armor were broken, so I faced the choice of either certain death or accepting the help he offered. He bade me travel far and wide in search of treasures that have fallen into the clutches of foul and misshapen things, which I then surrender to him for whatever purpose. In recompense he aids me to keep body and soul together.

I beg you not to judge me, as this is but a trial I must endure, but until I am myself redeemed I can no longer use my old name.
robertxz
Private
Private

by robertxz » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:17 am

Friend and brother,

The world is a strange place, as there seem to be more spies for the Horde among the Alliance than there are non-spies. In a short span of time there was a false defense alert in Stormwind, difficulties with the fabric of reality itself, organized attempts to thwart the rescue of a gnome's equipment, and the sudden apperance of huge brutes akin to livestock-feed-grade sides of beef, which sore troubled me and my ally in war.

In yet another turn toward the unexpected, which is becoming a norm of my life, my employer rewarded me with shocking generosity for one so greedy and then dismissed me. Instead I fell in with a small organization devoted to doing good, and have for the most part prospered as its member. Yet there is at least one spy within the organization itself, small as it is, and certain difficulties with the fabric of reality suggest that the gods themselves might be involved in a malevolent way. That sort of challenge I cannot ask anyone to face with me, so my letters to you will now discontinue. Please understand that you have done nothing untoward, and I simply choose not to endanger those who do not willingly and wholeheartedly side with me.

Bidding you farewell,

Your friend and sister.
robertxz
Private
Private

by Mugo » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:35 am

Discontinue isn't an option!! My gumption demands it! xD
Mugo
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by robertxz » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:32 am

Mugo wrote:Discontinue isn't an option!! My gumption demands it! xD

Sorry, but that toon is now deleted because a loyal friend on the server started having some real-life problems.
robertxz
Private
Private

Return to Role Play