How To: Maximize Quality and Smoothness

Game configuration tutorials, addons and macros.

Re: How To: Maximize Quality and Smoothness

by matteria » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:37 am

Hi, this was really cool to implement and the game does look a bit better, so thanks for posting, however I seemed to have enabled a 'blood spatter' effect at some point with one of the commands which I'm having trouble identifying. I was wondering if anyone knew which command is associated with this effect, or simply any way to disable since the visual is just the same effect over and over (which looks weird on unscathed NPCs after beating them up for a few seconds) and it just looks cheap and gross. thx
matteria
Private
Private

by Zichi » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:31 am

I just wanted to say thank you, had no idea about this stuff lol. Game looks ALOT better hah.
Zichi
Tester

by Shadowlurk » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:53 am

matteria wrote:Hi, this was really cool to implement and the game does look a bit better, so thanks for posting, however I seemed to have enabled a 'blood spatter' effect at some point with one of the commands which I'm having trouble identifying. I was wondering if anyone knew which command is associated with this effect, or simply any way to disable since the visual is just the same effect over and over (which looks weird on unscathed NPCs after beating them up for a few seconds) and it just looks cheap and gross. thx

I'll do some research on this and try to find the command causing it.

EDIT. I did some research and the command may be "violenceLevel"

Try setting violenceLevel to 0 in your config. Then /reloadui

Reference: http://www.wowwiki.com/CVar_violenceLevel
Want your game to look visually stunning and run silky smooth? Read my guide.
Shadowlurk - Level 29 Troll Rogue (Expert Leatherworker / Expert Skinner)
Shadowlurk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by matteria » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:55 am

Shadowlurk wrote:
matteria wrote:Hi, this was really cool to implement and the game does look a bit better, so thanks for posting, however I seemed to have enabled a 'blood spatter' effect at some point with one of the commands which I'm having trouble identifying. I was wondering if anyone knew which command is associated with this effect, or simply any way to disable since the visual is just the same effect over and over (which looks weird on unscathed NPCs after beating them up for a few seconds) and it just looks cheap and gross. thx

I'll do some research on this and try to find the command causing it.

EDIT. I did some research and the command may be "violenceLevel"

Try setting violenceLevel to 0 in your config. Then /reloadui

Reference: http://www.wowwiki.com/CVar_violenceLevel

bingo, no more red squirting out of everything... thx again for the info
matteria
Private
Private

by Shadowlurk » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:57 pm

I just updated the Google Docs spreadsheet that I have been compiling with in game commands!

I added the violenceLevel command and updated the color layout so it should be more visually appealing.
Shadowlurk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by rancur3p1c » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:30 pm

something about the Lava in Burning Steppes or something on the way in the FP from IF to SW looks funny. Both the lava, and there were some really dark shadowy bits that looked TOO dark, like lava wasn't rendering.

--

It's obvious occlusion is enabled, and I'm not sure how I feel about that or how it looks.

--

I have a mild rhythmic stutter in the framerate that happens about every 0.5s. Any ideas? Not in other games, just this...
it's there with and without triple buffering.
rancur3p1c
Tester

Re: How To: Optimize Quality and Performance

by Wraith§Reaver » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:17 pm

Shadowlurk wrote:SET lod "0"
SET lodDist "250"

just a correction, you have to change [SET lod "0"] to [SET lod "1"] otherwise the parameter [SET lodDist "250"] will have no effect.

Source translated:
SET lod "0" : Terrain Quality (1 = high, 0 = normal).
SET lodDist "100" : Can't be used without SET lod "1". Terrain quality distance change (from 50 to 250).

http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/wow

OT: I'm customizing the config.wtf with the variables that you have filled in and every time I log and log out, many of the strings are clearly went deleted.

Obviously with the check in "read-only" on the file properties the problem is easily solved, but more than anything I want to understand if this is because they are considered by wow to be default parameters (eg SET cameraBobbing "1" disappears off the file, instead of remaining as SET cameraBobbing "0", as well as many other strings) and it keeps them in memory in some way as they have been setup, or during the transition from startup/shutdown of wow, it overwrites them (or at least try to, with the "read-only" on) with the default ones.
Wraith§Reaver
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by crum » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:45 pm

rancur3p1c wrote:I have a mild rhythmic stutter in the framerate that happens about every 0.5s. Any ideas? Not in other games, just this...

I have this exact same thing!! Can anyone fill me in on this or has a solution to alleviate or fix this?
crum
Grunt
Grunt

Re: How To: Optimize Quality and Performance

by Shadowlurk » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:46 pm

Wraith§Reaver wrote:
Shadowlurk wrote:SET lod "0"
SET lodDist "250"

just a correction, you have to change [SET lod "0"] to [SET lod "1"] otherwise the parameter [SET lodDist "250"] will have no effect.

Source translated:
SET lod "0" : Terrain Quality (1 = high, 0 = normal).
SET lodDist "100" : Can't be used without SET lod "1". Terrain quality distance change (from 50 to 250).

http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/wow

OT: I'm customizing the config.wtf with the variables that you have filled in and every time I log and log out, many of the strings are clearly went deleted.

Obviously with the check in "read-only" on the file properties the problem is easily solved, but more than anything I want to understand if this is because they are considered by wow to be default parameters (eg SET cameraBobbing "1" disappears off the file, instead of remaining as SET cameraBobbing "0", as well as many other strings) and it keeps them in memory in some way as they have been setup, or during the transition from startup/shutdown of wow, it overwrites them (or at least try to, with the "read-only" on) with the default ones.

Nice catch on the lodDist. I'll put a note on that in the spreadsheet.

Some of the values are defaults. The game will detect defaults and remove them from the config file. If you want to be sure these settings are applied, follow the console method.

Thanks for your valuable input.
Shadowlurk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Shadowlurk » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:52 pm

rancur3p1c wrote:something about the Lava in Burning Steppes or something on the way in the FP from IF to SW looks funny. Both the lava, and there were some really dark shadowy bits that looked TOO dark, like lava wasn't rendering.

--

It's obvious occlusion is enabled, and I'm not sure how I feel about that or how it looks.

--

I have a mild rhythmic stutter in the framerate that happens about every 0.5s. Any ideas? Not in other games, just this...

I've noticed that same thing with the lava. I haven't taken the time to narrow down the culprit.

As for the stuttering, it could be a lot of things. Try modifying the timingModeOverride command, setting gxVSync to 1, and ensure you are running in fullscreen mode (gxWindow 0).

Commands that have the potential to fix the stuttering are in the smoothness section of the original post.

Keep me informed.
Shadowlurk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Getting started on Nostalrius