How To: Maximize Quality and Smoothness

Game configuration tutorials, addons and macros.

Re: How To: Optimize Quality and Performance

by DrkAeris » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:07 pm

Hinzu wrote:So here is my issue, I'm using a NVIDA GeForce GTX 660 with a triple monitor set-up. Two are 1920x1080 and the other is 1080 x 1920 (I'm a programmer thus why its in Portrait). When I try to set my Resolution it refuses to give me the option of using 1920x1080. It seems to be detecting my portrait as my main display which isnt the case. If I unplug the Portrait monitor it allows for the wide screen 1920x1080 option but as soon as that third monitor gets plug in it move its over to that monitor and refuses to change the settings. Any help with this is much appreciated.

There are two options in this case (as I play with two monitors (a HDTV and a laptop screen)).

There is the 'windowed mode' option, in which you use only one of the three screens and you simply click and drag the corners to fill one of your screens with the game client as much as possible.

The other option is 'full screen windowed mode' which puts the game into a full screen but acts as if it is in windowed mode. That should be available inside the video settings when the game is open/being played.

If those don't work, then I am not sure how you'll be enjoying the game unless you simply disregard two of your three monitors entirely and just focus on WoW itself. Best of luck!
Flurence - Level 60 Raiding Resto Druid
Monochrome - Level 60 Shadow Priest
Bhailey - Level XX Marks/Survival Hunter - I love that kitin'!
DrkAeris
Grunt
Grunt

by Shadowlurk » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:27 pm

I have discovered some minor glitches with some of the /script variants of these commands.

See the informational spreadsheet for the script commands that caused these exploits.

By using the /script variants of these commands to set crazy high values (such as 99999999999), some of the commands that were previously locked at low values (such as 250), were forced higher or lower. See the revised original post for details. Nothing gamebreaking has been exploited thus far.
Want your game to look visually stunning and run silky smooth? Read my guide.
Shadowlurk - Level 29 Troll Rogue (Expert Leatherworker / Expert Skinner)
Shadowlurk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Tank » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:58 pm

Thanks a lot for this post! Very useful and detailed.
+1
Tank
Private
Private

by Redcap » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:01 pm

This was a great source of information. Thanks OP!

Completely off topic but related to the subject of performance, over the past few months I've had increased latency with my broadband service which has really irritated me. I play a lot of League of Legends. After doing some testing, I determined that my wireless modem-router was having issues as it was a cheapo Netgear supplied by my internet service provider that was close to 4 years old.

I got onto Amazon and purchased a TP-Link brand replacement that I researched would work with my service and got it installed. I'm not having any drops so far, and my latency across the board has dropped by as much as 25 ms. The improvement I was seeing was an amount prior to my problems (back in September my ping to Riot US was 73 ms, it increased to 91 ms, and is now at 54 ms). This is all common sense stuff, but in my case it was easily missed as something I could do to improve my internet gaming.
Redcap
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Shadowlurk » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:18 pm

Redcap wrote:This was a great source of information. Thanks OP!

Completely off topic but related to the subject of performance, over the past few months I've had increased latency with my broadband service which has really irritated me. I play a lot of League of Legends. After doing some testing, I determined that my wireless modem-router was having issues as it was a cheapo Netgear supplied by my internet service provider that was close to 4 years old.

I got onto Amazon and purchased a TP-Link brand replacement that I researched would work with my service and got it installed. I'm not having any drops so far, and my latency across the board has dropped by as much as 25 ms. The improvement I was seeing was an amount prior to my problems (back in September my ping to Riot US was 73 ms, it increased to 91 ms, and is now at 54 ms). This is all common sense stuff, but in my case it was easily missed as something I could do to improve my internet gaming.

Thank you! Another thing that may improve your latency is Leatrix Latency Fix. Basically modifies a few registry settings for your network interface card such as TcpAckFrequency to reduce latency.

http://www.leatrix.com/leatrix-latency-fix
Shadowlurk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Gi01 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:48 pm

so cool!

Just to be sure, everything is saved on next restart automatically?

TY :)
Gi01
Grunt
Grunt

by Azzix » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:53 pm

yay
Azzix
Tester

by Shadowlurk » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:20 pm

Gi01 wrote:so cool!

Just to be sure, everything is saved on next restart automatically?

TY :)

Anything set via the console and via the config.wtf file will all be saved on the next restart.

So the answer to your question is yes! :D
Shadowlurk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Vulcan » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:47 am

This is truly amazing, thank you for this! <3
Level 24 Tauren Druid | Feral while leveling
Vulcan
Private
Private

by LegendaryRonnie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:50 am

If I chose to edit the config file do I simply add what you posted or replace what is already there?

Edit: One more question, after setting some parameters through console or config file, if I view graphic options from the main menu, some changes (can't tell if all of them) revert back to original values (frill density, cloud LOD, sunglare etc).Any ideas?
LegendaryRonnie
Grunt
Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Getting started on Nostalrius