Complete Mac Set-up using Wineskin

Game configuration tutorials, addons and macros.

Complete Mac Set-up using Wineskin

by Diametra » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:41 pm

Complete mac wineskin guide.

If you can’t find a good mac version of the client, or if you simply prefer to run a windows version without dual-booting.

This is what I did, there are certainly alternatives to every step…

*I'm assuming you already made an account with nostalrius*

Download the vanilla windows wow client. I got mine from:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/1imxm3

double click the resulting file to open in a torrent, if you don’t have a torrent downloader, I used this application:

http://www.utorrent.com

Once downloading in the torrent downloader, it will probably take between one and two hours.

Decompress the resulting file with a rar decompression utility. I used rargenie.com. It’s free and small. If you double click the World of Warcraft 1.12 Client.rar file that you downloaded it will automatically begin decompressing through RarGenie. Elapsed time was about 6 minutes.

When complete, locate the WoW 1.21.1 windows folder in your downloads. Throw away the WDB and WTF file. Open the application Text Edit and locate the realmlist.wtf file in the WoW folder. Overwrite the list with this exactly:

set realmlist login2.nostalrius.org

save it and close.

Download wineskin winery.

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com

When you open the app, It’ll say no engine installed, no wrapper installed. click the “+” to download and install the engine. Then click update to install wrapper.

Now…create new blank wrapper. Call it “WoW” if you want. Now it’s going to want to download a couple more pieces of software. I don’t know why…just do it. The interface gets a little wonky at this point. Winery should help you find the wrapper you just created.

Click the ‘WoW” application you created. Click install software. Click copy a folder inside. Find the WoW 1.12.1 folder. choose the entire folder. This will take 2-10 minutes or so. Resulting file size was 5.99 GB. A pop up window for an .exe should come next. choose the wow.exe…then quit wineskin.

Double click the “wow” application that you made through winery.

you should get the opening cinematics. choose US and Pvp. Kaboom! that only took 3 hours.
Diametra
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Re: Complete Mac Set-up using Wineskin

by Diametra » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:45 pm

I found a torrent that has the original mac client 1.12.1. it's this

http://www.torrentfunk.com.torrentz.clu ... 1-zip.html

You'll still need http://www.utorrent.com ....a torrent application, to download the Mac wow classic torrent.

The resulting torrent is a zip file so you don't need a rar decompression utility. This page also has a link that's supposedly a direct download...I didn't try it. When installing from this link on a second computer it did some funky phishing stuff, so I force quite browser and did it again no problem.

The good thing about this file is it's native Mac. Graphics were better and an annoying mouse click situation I had with the windows version is gone. I didn't need to resize screen or mess with graphics.

The bad thing is I tested a boat ride and indeed fell through the boat, so I'm keeping both the wineskin version and this Mac version.

You still need to change the realms list and throw away WDB folder.

set realmlist login.nostalrius.org -or- set realmlist login2.nostalrius.org
Diametra
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Henhouse » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:10 pm

There's a pre-installed OS X client on Google Drive for download, linked to from the official connection guide:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1377

It's the one I'm using on my MacBook -- it's good.
Henhouse
Tester

by Diametra » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:35 pm

yeah..I tried to download that one probably 80 times in the end...never got the full file. At any rate...I'm keeping both versions until boats and zeppelins are fixed for mac client.
Diametra
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by ques » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:14 pm

hey can u help em download on my mac? im super confused on what to do lol, thanks
ques
Tester

by ques » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:44 pm

Diametra wrote:yeah..I tried to download that one probably 80 times in the end...never got the full file. At any rate...I'm keeping both versions until boats and zeppelins are fixed for mac client.

hi im having trouble dowloading this on my mac can u help me out plz?
ques
Tester

by Diametra » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:47 pm

instructions above in post #2 how to download the mac client.
Diametra
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by ogylol » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:39 pm

Thank you for this! Helped a lot, and the download is super fast.
Big +
Regards,
Ogylol
Enable avatars already
ogylol
Private
Private

by Monkkeystew » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:29 pm

Hey,

I'm having some trouble; everytime I open the "WoW" wineskin that I created (and I followed your steps exactly), it opens up an installation setup, not the opening cinematic.

The first time this happened, I installed the game through the wineskin and played successfully, but when I closed the game and opened it up later, it wanted me to install again... this can't be right.

Also, once I installed, the file size of the wineskin jumped up from 5.2 gb to 11.3 gb.

Anyone know what the issue may be? Thanks so much in advance!

P.S. In the installation setup, it makes me save to "C:\ Program Files\World of Warcraft Classic". I tried to locate this application, but obviously my Mac doesn't have a "program files" folder, and using the Spotlight search didn't yield any results for World of Warcraft Classic. Not sure if this is completely relevant, but I wanted to say that just in case.
Monkkeystew
Tester

by Diametra » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:54 pm

I'm thinking the "it" in, "it wanted me to install again" is the WoW interface? It sounds like it downloaded an xpac. you may have missed this step:

When complete, locate the WoW 1.21.1 windows folder in your downloads. Throw away the WDB and WTF file. Open the application Text Edit and locate the realmlist.wtf file in the WoW folder. Overwrite the list with...

When it's wrapped up in wineskin, and those files are deleed it shouldn't want to find an update.

Try recreating the wineskin version fresh. It doesn't take too long. It took me 6 shots to get it right.

Also, since Nostralius fixed boats and zeppelins I haven't had to use the wineskin version except for one time when I got stuck on the boat from feathermoon. So i highly recommend the native Mac version noted in post 2.
Diametra
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Next

Return to Getting started on Nostalrius