Trying to play on a chromebook, anyone know how to linux?

Game configuration tutorials, addons and macros.

Trying to play on a chromebook, anyone know how to linux?

by Shifter512 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:37 pm

So far I've got a Linux shell running XFCE that I've got going based on this guide here http://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-your-chromebook-with-crouton/

I just really don't know where to go from there. I tried going to the nostalrus site, but it says I need to enable java script, then I tried to get firefox on the linux side of the system believing the javascript thing to be an issue with the built in browser, but couldn't figure out how to even do that much. I'm pretty lost as far as how to linux, and I was hoping somebody here might be able to dumb the process down a bit for me. Anyone know where I should start?
Shifter512
Tester

Re: Trying to play on a chromebook, anyone know how to linux

by Shifter512 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:08 pm

I also tried to use this http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=684&hilit=Beginner%27s+Guide+%5BLinux%5D to help me figure some stuff out, but unfortunately none of the images would load so I'm missing some pretty important information.
Shifter512
Tester

by Mimma » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:10 pm

You need a x86 based computer.
Chromebooks are usually ARM based, and cannot run the client. qEmu can emulate the x86 and Wine can emulate a Windows environment, but performance will be rubbish.

In short: you can't.
Mimma
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Arev » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:21 pm

what Mimma said is correct.

You can run wow without any issues on Linux, but the l Linux distro must built for x86 architecture and not ARM.

You may be able to get some workarounds (like QEMU / VM ) but the reduced instruction set with ARM will cause severe limitations.

edit: regarding your firefox question, assuming you are now running ChrUbunutu and not the chrome OS, install firefox with:

sudo apt-get install firefox
Arevor - <Dankk Budz Collective>
Arev
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Megawin79 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:34 pm

You need a x86 based computer.

My friend has one of the newer Chromebooks that have an Intel processor with x86-64 architecture. Would this type of Chromebook theoretically be capable of playing WoW using Wine under a Linux dual-boot?

She's rockin this Intel Celeron N2830 processor for reference: http://ark.intel.com/products/81071/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N2830-1M-Cache-up-to-2_41-GHz
Megawin79
Tester

by zamug » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:24 am

In the theory it may work. It is a Celeron however, so don't expect amazing performance. I wouldn't buy one just on the theory unless you can spare the cash.

Why not ask to test on your friends?
New to Nostalrius? Need some tips? Read this guide..
zamug
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Ashergi » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:04 pm

I downloaded WoW to both my PC and my Ubuntu laptop (using Wine). I had to turn down most of the settings, but it works ok enough for leveling and banking/auctioning. Just stay away from Alterac Valley and raiding.

It did have some problems with overheating initially, but I blew it and it now runs as cool as air conditioning.
Ashergi
Tester

Return to Getting started on Nostalrius