First time Vanilla! Tips?

Game configuration tutorials, addons and macros.

First time Vanilla! Tips?

by miikalsen » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:05 pm

Hello everyone! So i wish to introduce myself. Im a norwegian gamer, played wow for many many years. From Wotlk and up to WOD.

I played on multiply servers before, but actually never played vanilla. So this will be somewhat new for me. I heard positive things about it.

But what can people tell me ? Any tips or things i should remember when i jump into game? I think ill play on the pve realm because of population. But other then that ?

Looking forward to se people in game.
miikalsen
Tester

Re: First time Vanilla! Tips?

by Kelissandra » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:45 am

leveling takes time and can be quite difficult in the early levels but depends what class you play.
hybrid specs are often considered terrible within PVE (prot pala, ret pala, feral druid, balance druid, shadow priest) - if you play druid/shaman/pala/priest you will be expected to heal 99% of the time
currently in wod, the game tells you where quest objectives are but in vanilla you have to read the quest and follow the instructions (cant remember the system in wotlk)
dungeons give shit exp and i would only advise doing them for quests and maybe some gear improvements
also, whatever class you decide to play, make sure you read up about it. there's a lot of good and bad specs and items, especially t1/2 items which are not good for that class and have way better dungeon alternatives.
Kelissandra - 60 Night Elf Druid
Mourna - 60 Human Rogue
Shaedya - 60 Night Elf Warrior
Kelissandra
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: First time Vanilla! Tips?

by retrospectx » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:07 am

Hey neighbour in the north. As Kelissandra kindly suggested the game can be pretty difficult. To add some things for when you level:

1. Save gold as much as possible:
a. Perhaps 2 gather professions at the start, at least one and saving up on cloth, etc. for AH.
b. Not buying spells or armor unless very necessary for your class (e.g. if you level a rogue you will most likely not use spells such as feint or rupture while fighting normal mobs, as it's SS+Evi as your main combo)
c. Sell everything you don't need, and invest in cheap 10-14 slot bags when you can, although start with 6 slotters.
d. Try to have around 60-80g by level 40 for the first tier mount unless you're a Warlock or Paladin. They will still need some funds for the 100% mount though (and a long ass quest chain).
2. Plan your levelling, you might not be able to do all quests in a zone, so find some decent grind spots that work for your class. Be careful of fire elementals if you level a fire mage for example.

3. Look in the addons section and get any ones that might make things easier, map mods, quest mods, UI, etc.

4. If you feel you need a guide, there should be resources such as Joanna's, Zygor (not sure if pre TBC), wow-pro levelling guide, etc.

5. If an area is too hard, don't be afraid to grind mobs at an area for a while. It's boring, but you'll hopefully end up with some nice vendor inventory or even some AH valueables. Spellcasters can usually handle yellow mobs (same level-ish), and melee can go on green mobs that are a bit squishier, should you encounter difficulties.

6. Different classes level at different ease, Hunters, Warlocks, Feral Druids, Priests would be among the easier ones, while gear dependant classes such as Warriors would have quite a challenge (Rogues need gear too but have better static damage to help through levelling, and stealth ofc).

Just some pointers off the top of my head, haven't played vanilla in a few years but these things can generally be applied for the levelling. Finding a nice social guild and/or making friends along the way can be another way to put a positive note on your levelling, oh and music/media during those pesky grind sessions!
retrospectx
Private
Private

Return to Getting started on Nostalrius