Just starting! Questions!

Game configuration tutorials, addons and macros.

Just starting! Questions!

by Orendil » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:22 pm

To first say... The windows version of WoW got removed... Any one have another link to get it? Really wanting to try out the server.

So to my questions...
1 - Are paladins wanted in raids? I've heard that priests are the top vanilla healers and wondering if it's the same here.
2 - Is there a "best" race for each class? Like does one class make the best hunter, paladin, rogue, etc... If so what are they?
3 - Are all specs viable? Or is it the case that paladins cannot tank, and other classes are locked into one spec?
4 - Any good gold making tricks? Such as does linen cloth sell for nice amounts, herbs, etc..? Hoping to be able to purchase a mount before a month passes ;)
5 - Recommended addons? I like addons but can't stand having too many. Which addons do you think are required?
6 - What classes for solo? Is Paladin able to solo nearly all quests or do they fall off massively?
7 - Is it true that vanilla raiding is extremely hard and not for casuals?.. Or are people just lying?
8 - Does AV really last hours on the server like I heard it does in Vanilla?.. Are the PvE parts of it vital? I'd love to enter battlegrounds once I finally do hit level 60 to pass the time and want to know if there is a way I can be helpful in a battleground.. Without needing to charge in and get myself one shot before I can farm up some pvp gear. Like is taking over objectives actually important here?
I am Narcoleptic... So if it's early or late for EST time sorry for any mistakes/typos I make.
Orendil
Private
Private

Re: Just starting! Questions!

by christopher312 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:43 pm

I can only answer for my self and can be considered wrong by others.

1. Are paladins wanted in raid? Yes they are and holy is the most common spec for raiding
2. best race? Depends what you want to do. Undeads will of the forsaken are really great for PVP but isnt really great for other situations. Trolls berserking talent is probably one of the best PVE talents of all races still people pick undead over troll mage most of the time.

3. All specs viable? Yes and no, also depends what you want to do. Raiding? If you want to raid as elemental/enchantment shaman you will probably fall behind on DPS. As an enchancement I've heard you will only be considered if you have some 2handed niche weapon. Forgot the name but maybe somebody could remind me.

4. Go herb and skill until you can enter AV and herb all day :)

5. usually dont play with addons, but if you want to manage the look on layout maybe bartender? Nostalrius has its own addons you can download to be used on the server. Look it up.

6. All classes can complete quests. Some classes are just a bit faster than others such as warlocks and hunter but the classes also comes with some cons.

7. Its 10 years old content and much of the information are viable on the internet. You wont get anything for free though and most stuff requires time investment but the feeling of reward will be stronger than retail.

8, I think the longest AV I've seen have been more than 2 days. I would say some PVE parts are vital just to get basic gear. Then you can farm BG to get PVP gear but I dare you. Its a farm you will remember.
christopher312
Private
Private

Re: Just starting! Questions!

by dbDozer » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:11 pm

Orendil wrote:To first say... The windows version of WoW got removed... Any one have another link to get it? Really wanting to try out the server.

So to my questions...
1 - Are paladins wanted in raids? I've heard that priests are the top vanilla healers and wondering if it's the same here.
2 - Is there a "best" race for each class? Like does one class make the best hunter, paladin, rogue, etc... If so what are they?
3 - Are all specs viable? Or is it the case that paladins cannot tank, and other classes are locked into one spec?
4 - Any good gold making tricks? Such as does linen cloth sell for nice amounts, herbs, etc..? Hoping to be able to purchase a mount before a month passes ;)
5 - Recommended addons? I like addons but can't stand having too many. Which addons do you think are required?
6 - What classes for solo? Is Paladin able to solo nearly all quests or do they fall off massively?
7 - Is it true that vanilla raiding is extremely hard and not for casuals?.. Or are people just lying?
8 - Does AV really last hours on the server like I heard it does in Vanilla?.. Are the PvE parts of it vital? I'd love to enter battlegrounds once I finally do hit level 60 to pass the time and want to know if there is a way I can be helpful in a battleground.. Without needing to charge in and get myself one shot before I can farm up some pvp gear. Like is taking over objectives actually important here?

Your questions indicate you are leaning towards paladins so let me shed some light on them for a moment. Paladins are very strong single target healers in vanilla WoW, and while they still fall behind priests, they are very important in raids for their buffs. Leveling as a retribution paladin is incredibly strong, they are one of the best solo classes in WoW, except for perhaps hunters/warlocks because pets. They are more or less locked into healing during raids. Once in a blue moon one of our paladins will spec prot for very specific purposes: namely to aoe tank whelps in MC or suppression room in BWL. Ret paladins are not commonly taken due to low dps.

As for your other questions:

- I farmed gold for my first mount by grinding cats in STV, their whiskers vendor for a decent amount of silver. I hear mages basically shit gold but I never played one to a higher level so idk the details.

- Vanilla raiding is not hard at all mechanically speaking. Theorycrafting back in retail vanilla was not good at all, and people didn't know what gear to bring to raids, so shit was much harder.

- I have personally seen AV go for 20 hours before. I heard tales of a legendary game that went an entire weekend, but didn't witness it myself. The PvE sides to it aren't super vital but you can still probably do them, assuming it is not AV weekend. If it is AV weekend, expect a zerg from both sides.
dbDozer
Private
Private

Return to Getting started on Nostalrius