UI / Resolution issues

Game configuration tutorials, addons and macros.

UI / Resolution issues

by Bodywrecker » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:36 am

Just downloaded Nostalrius from seeing how popular it's gotten.

Obviously, there's a huge hardware difference that what I ran in 2006 though. I run triple monitor, and well everything looks extremely stretched. Even with my camera scrolled all the way out, it loos like I'm playing the game through a fisheye lens.

I'd be okay with just running the gam eon a single monitor at 1920x1080 instead of 5760x1080, but even at a smaller res I'm having the same issues. Almost unplayable.
I'd take a screenshot, but apparently the screenshots taken from the game saves at over 20 MB's for some reason and I'm unable to donwload unless someone could point me to the right direction.
Bodywrecker
Tester

Re: UI / Resolution issues

by TomDeBaere » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:38 pm

Unfortunately Vanilla wow wasn't properly optimized for widescreen resolutions... at the time people were still running 4:3 aspect ratio monitors.
TomDeBaere
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: UI / Resolution issues

by atoupa » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:41 pm

1. First, for three monitors you'll need three video outputs. Most video cards have two outputs these days, so you'll either need two cards or you can make do with one card and onboard video if you have it.

2. Dual SLI is a pipe dream. You have to disable it or you get screen tearing in WoW (it is not supported). You have to disable it to extend your desktop across multiple monitors on multiple cards.

3. Playing WoW on a multi-monitor environment has to be done in windowed mode. Its just not possible to run it fullscreen over multiple displays.

4. I used a program called UltraMon which allows me to maximize a window across all three displays. This is key, because manually resizing it doesn't work; WoW not only forces the aspect ratio, but it jumps weirdly around the screen and gets stuck way above the top of your display as you try to drag it out past one monitor.

5. Fixing the resolution in game to be the correct aspect ratio turned out to be harder than expected. The game is designed such that your resolution options are limited by the primary monitor. If you use two displays, you can span them into one uber desktop to get around this problem, but that leaves a bar in the middle of your screen (so I chose three). Its not possible to span multiple desktops together across multiple video cards.

Your options to fix this are:

a) Buy a Matrox TripleHead2Go external monitor head which you plug all your displays into, and it then plugs into one video card. This costs money, and it limits your max resolution. Nuts to that, I say!

b) Use this spiffy macro I made! Even though the resolutions are limited in the video options, you can still programatically set them to be whatever you want. This macro will toggle you between full screen mode and windowed mode. Note that when it takes you to windowed mode, it will be squished into a window on your main desktop; not to worry, simply use UltraMon to maximize it and the aspect ratio will be perfect!

/script if (GetCVar("gxWindow") =="1") then SetCVar("gxWindow","0"); SetCVar("gxResolution","1680x1050"); else SetCVar("gxMaximize","0"); SetCVar("gxWindow","1"); SetCVar("gxResolution","5040x1050"); end; RestartGx();

Note, that's all one line. Change 1680 to the width of your primary display, 5040 to the total width of all your displays, and 1050 to the proper height.
atoupa
Tester

Return to Getting started on Nostalrius