Beginner's Guide [Linux]

Game configuration tutorials, addons and macros.

Re: Beginner's Guide [Linux]

by mythica » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:28 am

Think I might need to give up on this.

The torrent download doesn't work (for me).

Wine either gets huffy and shuts down, or demands I use the battle.net login screen.

Unable to access the old launcher anymore - it seems to be battle.net or nothing.

Tried installing the game from my retail disc - wine gets huffy again.

Being a clueless newbie in a non-windows OS environment, I've undoubtedly shot myself in the foot somewhere along the way and done something wrong.

It's now been 12 hours of trying to figure this out in my poor little non-technical head, pouring through dozens and dozens of technical pages (which might as well have been written in Swahili) that no little bumpkin should ever have to face, and it's is now threatening to explode if I don't cease and desist.

I just want to play 'nilla WoW on Nost, not study for a PhD in computer science :(
mythica
Private
Private

by mythica » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:40 am

*Solved!

Downloaded the Nostalrius installer and extracted via Archive Manager. So smooth!

No fussing at all.

Thanks Nostalrius!
mythica
Private
Private

by Floux » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:50 am

Good ! :)
Hel - undead warlock (beta)
Cernunnos - night elf druid
Floux
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Qexugir » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:04 pm

What worked for me on Mint 17.1 was installing Wine from the Mint repository (which I believe uses the latest Ubuntu version), then just extracting the regular installer into the C :\ drive and running the setup program through Wine. Even after setting the gxAPI to OpenGL I get jerkiness so I'll try installing the proprietary Nvidia driver. (I have a Quadro 600 so it's an old card that still has plenty of oomph for Vanilla).
Qexugir
Private
Private

by Qexugir » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:14 pm

There is no need to mess around with Crossfire (unless they are a sponsor of Nostalrius or have some other business connection, in which case this post will be deleted).

On Mint 17.1 all I had to do was install Wine from the repository (the current version is 1.6) and then download the regular Nostalrius Windows installer, unzipped it into the Wine C: drive, ran the setup program through wine, and did a couple of minor tweaks--and the game runs perfectly fine.

(The minor tweaks are that I have an Nvidia graphics card and switched to the recommended proprietary Nvidia driver instead of using the default Nouveau driver BEFORE installing Wine, as Wine overwirites certain of the proprietary driver's system files; and that, before launching the game for the first time, I created the WTF folder manually and then created a config.wtf file containing my preferred display resolution and setting dxAPI to OpenGL. If you're a config.wtf hacker you can also add lines to skip the movie etc etc.)
Qexugir
Private
Private

by Rethil » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:48 am

OpenSUSE and Arch Linux user here. WoW runs really great on both my machines under control of both distros.

You guys might want to check some reference guides:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/World_of_Warcraft
http://www.wowwiki.com/World_of_Warcraft_functionality_on_Wine
Rethil
Tester

by csimpok » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:22 pm

Thx, nice guide :)

Running on Asus c200 chromebook :)
Chrome OS -> crouton/xubuntu 14 -> wine -> WoW ... magic :)
csimpok
Tester

by Raahl » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:46 pm

Sweet guide, I think I will need to give this a shot - I was just about to setup a second PC so my wife could play with me. Instead of doing Windows, I will try Ubuntu out first.
Raahl
Grunt
Grunt

by Flaat » Tue May 19, 2015 10:21 pm

It is all working fine thnx to your guide (even though the pictures are missing)

maybe make a updated version with wine install and some tips and tricks

a nice video for installing the official drivers,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWnetoj ... e=youtu.be

The only issue i have is not being able to alt tab properly, any fixes for that?
Flaat
Sergeant
Sergeant

by NameisJonathan » Wed May 27, 2015 10:26 pm

I have had no problem downloading and playing the game. However every time I exit the game and try and start again it unexpectedly shuts down. I have re downloaded twice and it fires right up. Anybody had this issue or know how I can fix it? Thanks,
NameisJonathan
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Getting started on Nostalrius