Beginner's Guide [Linux]

Game configuration tutorials, addons and macros.

Beginner's Guide [Linux]

by ozzky » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:55 pm

Since Kill posted a really good Windows Guide, I thought i'll post a Linux guide for those interested in being a bit adventurous or maybe have it running on an old computer.

:!: First of all – as a disclaimer – Im definitely not an expert on Linux, I'm new to it, but I actually got it working this way.

Secondly, Linux is not a very good operating system to switch to if you play a lot of different games. Although more and more games gets available on linux the majority of games are still laggy and full of bugs :!:

Vanilla WoW is the exception, it runs pretty good if you're lucky.
(this of course depends on which distro and computer parts you are using)

In this tutorial i'm using Ubuntu 14.04 with Crossover, It's a simple way to get all the different files and configurations fixed with wine (windows compitability layer).

Since there's a ton of tutorials on how to install and get used to Ubuntu i'll only cover the WoW client installation.

NOTE: A few of the images were too large to have in the forum post, those images are links instead!
Also if Crossover isn't working for you for any reason try to use PlayOnLinux, it's almost the same.

Basics)

Download the game, there's a few different ways but in this tutorial i'm using the .rar download
since it's a lot easier to not have to install it.

Recommended: Download WoW from FTP(courtesy of Vengence WoW)
Alternative: Download WoW from Torrent (courtesy of Vanilla WoW)

Open the terminal and write:

Extract the WoW client to a location that fits your need.

Crossover)

Go to Codeweavers – download and install the program, it's as simple as in windows.
It's a 14 day free trial, but you could of course borrow the real deal from one of many search engines ;)

After that, start it up
Press "Install Windows software"
Search for "World of Warcraft"

In the screen you will see that it will download from the official blizzard site, click there and change so that it will 'install' using your file (WoW.exe)

You will notice that at the bottom of the screen there are some packages that needs to be installed before WoW will run smoothly.

Simply install all that is required.

And then proceed with the installation!

Remember to accept / yes to any of the installers that might pop up during the process

Your game might launch during the installation process, simply exit it.
When you exit the game a error will show up - press SKIP.

Now that the installation 'failed', press the tools menu.
It's at the top left corner in ubuntu.

Go into "manage bottles" and press "run command"
Press "browse" and choose the WoW.exe file and press create launcher.

After that, simply proceed into your WoW folder (the one you extracted) and open realmlist.wtf
make sure it says:

set realmlist login.nostalrius.org

Now your installation should be fully working, you can start the game with the desktop icon you created.
However there are some situations where it might require some config editing.

Fixes)

If you're experiencing low performance or graphic bugs like here try to add this to the config.wtf:
SET gxAPI "OpenGL"

If you're missing some character models, backgrounds etc try to add this to the config:
SET M2UseShaders "0"

Compiz might cause low performance aswell. Try turning that off if you run into any problems.

The good thing with Crossover is that they provide support for the games.
That means if you run into any problems you can check out their Tips & Tricks or website support.

Optional)

It is recommended to delete your WDB folder before launching as it might contain some data that is inconsisent with the server.

---
See you on Nostalrius!
Last edited by ozzky on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 8 times in total.
ozzky
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: Beginner's Guide [Linux]

by Floux » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:52 pm

Basically the short way which works fine with me is just to install "Wine" and do the "SET gxAPI "OpenGL"" thing.
Hel - undead warlock (beta)
Cernunnos - night elf druid
Floux
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Kill » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:21 pm

Hah nice one!

Never heard of CrossOver before, but from what I understand it's a little bit better maintained version of Wine from the same developers. On their web page, WoW is the 8 best voted windows application to run and there is even a big "Tip & Tricks" section answering some problems - so I guess it's well supported.

It's damn great that WoW is running smoothly under Linux. I never before considered this to be actually working in a satisfying manner and have some bad experience with Wine and other games. I want to ask, if you consider the emulation to increase hardware requirements by allot? Are their any issues with AddOns?
Kill
Sergeant
Sergeant

by skitszo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:07 am

How bout a beginners guide to getting to be able to post on the forum? Says i need admin approval to post anything anywhere.
skitszo
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Kratuzov » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:21 am

For me it runs even smoother than on windows. Ubuntu 14.10. The only problem is that occasionaly, once in few hours sound simply bug itself ansd speed multiple times so its not possible to hear anythig, go back in few minutes or restart game.
Kratuzov
Sergeant
Sergeant

by ozzky » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:07 am

skitszo wrote:How bout a beginners guide to getting to be able to post on the forum? Says i need admin approval to post anything anywhere.

It's only for your first few posts. Once they are approved they will remove the admin approval thing :)

Kratuzov wrote:For me it runs even smoother than on windows. Ubuntu 14.10. The only problem is that occasionaly, once in few hours sound simply bug itself ansd speed multiple times so its not possible to hear anythig, go back in few minutes or restart game.

I did a bit of googling and it seems that if you set wine to use Windows XP as the os for the game, most audio issues should go away!

Kill wrote:It's damn great that WoW is running smoothly under Linux. I never before considered this to be actually working in a satisfying manner and have some bad experience with Wine and other games. I want to ask, if you consider the emulation to increase hardware requirements by allot? Are their any issues with AddOns?

I haven't had any issues with addons, but then I really haven't played a lot on linux since i've had a lot of problems with my GTX 660 on Ubuntu. WINE itself isn't an emulator so it doesnt remove a lot of performance, it's more of a compatibility thing. :)
ozzky
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Floux » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:01 am

No issue with addons at all. And I can confirm that performence are even better than on Windows (with Nvidia hardware at least).

I had a problem with sound in the past but I solved it installing this package :
alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit

But I'm on openSUSE so the package name's should be a little different compared to Ubuntu. And my Wine config is "Windows 7" so I guess that it should not be a problem.
Floux
Sergeant
Sergeant

by ozzky » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:58 am

Floux, what's system specs do you have?
ozzky
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Floux » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:17 am

Operating system :
"openSUSE 13.2 (Harlequin) (x86_64)" (64 bits)
Kernel : 3.16.7-7-desktop

Graphic card :
NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 660/PCIe/SSE2
Driver : 4.4.0 NVIDIA 340.76

Sound card :
Realtek ALC887-VD

Memory :
RAM : 7949 Mo
Floux
Sergeant
Sergeant

by ozzky » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:26 am

That's interesting, we have the same graphics card - the big troublemaker for me when I used ubuntu!
I'm actually formatting my system today anyway so I'll try suse later today then.

If it runs well I might actually stick with it since it's so easy to use non-linux programs with virtualbox
ozzky
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Next

Return to Getting started on Nostalrius