Beginner's Guide [Linux]

Game configuration tutorials, addons and macros.

Re: Beginner's Guide [Linux]

by Zarlock » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:17 pm

Hello, I'm trying to run WoW with Wine on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, but I'm having a couple problems. If I play fullscreen and I minimize the game, it will get frozen and I will have to close it and open it again. On the other hand, if I play in window mode there are like flashes all the time and it's very annoying, plus the overall performance is worse.

Any clue how could I fix it?

It's great to see that there are so many players using Linux, thanks for the help in advance!

EDIT: apparently, I fixed it by playing in maximized windowed mode.
Zarlock
Tester

by ThePunjabiPrince » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:59 am

I downloaded the mac/linux client, and downloaded crossover.... however I did not do anything with crossover. I went ahead and started playing bc the launcher had worked. Now im trying again hours later and its not working. I went into crossover and tried to install whatever necessary to get it to work, but it tries to install battle.net, but I have no idea why its doing that if we arent trying to go through blizzard. Anyways I really want to play this game, it would be highly appreciated if some gave me a relatively simple step by step procedure to fix this or if easier start by scratch. Hopefully someone will reply soon!! Thanks!!
ThePunjabiPrince
Tester

by jimmbo » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:35 am

FEDORA RED HAT USERS:
1. make sure you have your non-stock video drivers/librarys installed.
2. put into console yum install wine.i686
after that is installed type
3. yum install wine.x86_64
after thats installed go to your wow folder, right click and open with wine.
Check out my 10 Minute Highlight Reel of 3/6's World PvP Raid
http://youtu.be/lTompLJrbPo
jimmbo
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Carson » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:37 am

Good guide! Thanks. Worked for me :)
Carson
Tester

by cfiore2012 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:54 pm

I don't know if this has been covered yet and I just missed it, but all the links to the photos describing dependencies to install seem to be broken. can anybody tell me what's supposed to be in the OP post concerning these?
cfiore2012
Tester

by chubscub » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:23 am

Thanks Ozz

Had the exact problem with gfx from your screen shot

SET gxAPI "OpenGL" worked like a charm. :D
chubscub
Tester

by dextro » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:06 pm

I'm running a dual boot of Arch Linux and Windows 7, with my WoW clients installed on a separate NTFS hard drive (not C:\). I've googled around and I'm getting conflicting answers about whether or not it's safe to point wine directly to my WoW installs. As long as I'm not mounting the partition that contains my Windows install, would it be ok to do this? Will it cause any issues with the content on that hard drive?

Thanks
dextro
Tester

by Fragioplays » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:08 pm

I can't find config.wtf Help me please!
Fragioplays
Tester

by schotty » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:56 pm

Fragioplays wrote:I can't find config.wtf Help me please!

For PlayOnLinux:
Code: Select all
 andrew  ⋯  Program Files  World of Warcraft Classic  WTF  ls Config.wtf
Config.wtf
 andrew  ⋯  Program Files  World of Warcraft Classic  WTF  pwd
/home/andrew/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/nostalrius/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft Classic/WTF
 andrew  ⋯  Program Files  World of Warcraft Classic  WTF  

For Crossover:
Code: Select all
 andrew  ⋯  Program Files  World of Warcraft Classic  WTF  ls
Account  Config.wtf
 andrew  ⋯  Program Files  World of Warcraft Classic  WTF  pwd
/home/andrew/.cxoffice/nostalrius/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft Classic/WTF
 andrew  ⋯  Program Files  World of Warcraft Classic  WTF  

I don't feel like using standard wine, as I am too lazy to compile it myself (on RHEL 7.2). Besides PoL and Crossover work just fine and in many ways far easier.

And for anyone else that needs a hand with Linux related stuff, feel free to buzz me. Linux is my bread and butter, and I do use it exclusively at home (all laptops, desktops, servers, and routers). If requested I can do a youtube video on how to get things functional under both CX and PoL, and share a PoL archive of a stock Nostalrius install.
schotty
Tester

by mozibake » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:47 am

Good thread. Having the exact graphical issue as in the OP image, running Kubuntu 14.04 with a GTX 650. Just bumping so I can find this thread when I'm back at my main PC and try the listed fix.
you think it be like it is but it's don't
-jack brack
mozibake
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

PreviousNext

Return to Getting started on Nostalrius