[Guide] Optimal Tanking Sets

Re: [Guide] Optimal Tanking Sets

by Grave » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:17 am

Indeed, I use Overlord's for the armor. The armor is effective in every physical damage fight, albeit minor. 5 stamina is pretty useless if you don't come close to dying, esp. in this content with over geared tanks & healers. 1% shield block has its uses on multiple mobs as well, but that's also minor. Once again, this is a personal reference sheet for myself and guild tanks.

Threat set is maximizing Crit for Impale while balancing ~425 Defense. You can certainly play around with it, but you'll be forced to use Defense items elsewhere with a bigger offensive stat penalty. This is the best combo I found to maximize crit (18.6%) with 8% hit while maintaining ~425 Def.

If you don't try the combinations for yourself with all available items, you'll obviously think it's randomly put together.

Ps. I've added a Nightfall tab for different Nightfall situations.
Grave
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Undertanker » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:27 am

Question / Comment to Grave:

The AQ item / BWL set you have on gloves 7 agil but include the AQ enchants on cloak. Gloves should be 15 agil on there.

Also I notice no enchant on shoulders, you running +5 all? Because your BWL Mitigation set has 30AP.

I had +5 all and changed to 30 AP, 3 agil cloak. However I am really missing the combined +5 each for +10 all resist.

Is the Shoulder enchant for AQ sets an oversight on adding 30 AP or are you going resist?

*Sorry I keep finding things on the sheet*

Edit: On T2 shoulders AQ set, it prob is resist since you use for Huhuran with +5. But still unsure about Unrelentings.
Last edited by Undertanker on Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by DownToFarm » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:59 pm

vido wrote:The threat set is a complete abomination. It looks like it was randomly thrown together. Apparently it's better to replace your best possibly itemized tank slots with mail gear and stuff like lionheart rather than starting with your sub-par slots like t2 shoulder > drake talon, t2 boots > chrom boots, overlord's embrace> zulian tigerhide, crimson band> don julio.

Would you care to post your threat set I am curious how the stats differ and would like to compare.
Gorefiend US: Fereveldir
Sargeras US: Peachit
Nostalrius PVP: Artimys

Always DTF
---------------------------------------------
http://steamcommunity.com/id/DownToFarm
DownToFarm
Grunt
Grunt

by vido » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:34 pm

High ilevel stuff with agility are your best bets for threat tank gear. You can't really give a BiS list since it depends on how you want to balance your threat with tank stats. You can sort out a priority list though and rank each slot with replacements for mitigation/ehp/threat gear.

Savage glad for example isn't bad for a threat set if you want to go ham in onyxia/MC, but if you want any semblance of tankiness this is at the bottom of your list. You're sacrificing 27 stam, 500 armor for 2 crit and 9 def compared to t2. 27 stam is kinda meh, but losing 500 armor on top of that is borderline insane if you're looking for a balance.
vido
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Grave » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:33 am

Added 15 Agi on Gloves, missed that, ty. Copy-paste error on shoulders. I'll be going with 30 AP on Unrelenting, switching my T2 to +5 NR for Huhuran if I don't get a second pair by then. Thanks for pointing it out. Personally I don't use resist gear/enchants unless I have to - like for fights that are pure magic damage. Huhuran hybrid NR/Migitation will be new so playing it a bit safe with that set.

High level agility stuff? Show me if you can provide the same offensive output with the goal of staying at ~425 defense. Do it and I'll alter my set. If you can't be bothered than you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Agi items are great if you can balance Crit with the right Defense items.

The threat set is for those who actually need to deliver max. TPS, and for that Savage Glad allows for more combinations with that extra 9 Defense (+ 2% crit).

It should be obvious if you do not have capable healers, you do not use this gear. If, for example, you use Lifegiving Gem, this isn't the gear set for you or if you tend to die as MT due to lack of heals, this isn't for you. Once again, these are my personal optimal solutions with the current DPS and healing roster our guild has. (More DPS, shorter fight, less healing intensive)

Ps. I think someone said I have Patch 1.11 items in Nature sheet, can you say which items? Not the BiS one as I labelled that for the correct patch in the title of the table.
Grave
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Alyndra » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:02 am

nost GMs posted in some thread that the 19 NR ring you get for abyssal scepters will not be in 1.9.
they may change their mind but at this moment you probably need to get another ring

source: https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic. ... ng#p244543

there also doesn't seem to be a way to enchant NR on anything, except from argent dawn. correct me if i am wrong but i cannot find the recipe on the PTR and i have the reputation. they also removed the savage guard, so you gotta get +100 HP unless you were lucky enough to get a savage guard before they removed it. (BAN BAN BAN BAN! :D)

#justnostthings
Alyndra
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Erou » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:31 pm

Quest for that ring is patch 1.11 so they wont change their mind.
Erou
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Problazer » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:25 pm

do we have confirmation that the +15NR to cloak will be in with AQ?
Problazer
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by vido » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:37 pm

What's so special about 425 def. You still leave it up to chance if you get crit or not and a crit is a lot less dangerous in the first place if you have enough stam/armor/avoidance so your chance of dying from a crit isn't necessarily higher if you forego defense for other stats.
vido
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by zmandude24 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:00 pm

vido wrote:What's so special about 425 def. You still leave it up to chance if you get crit or not and a crit is a lot less dangerous in the first place if you have enough stam/armor/avoidance so your chance of dying from a crit isn't necessarily higher if you forego defense for other stats.

I don't know why there's a rumor about the 420 or 425 cap since it's completely false and the only cap for def is 440. You can avoid most crits keeping up shield block as prot, and being at the so-called soft cap only means that your chance of getting crit is extremely low (0.01% kind of low). It also depends on the fight. Some bosses like Onyxia, no one will care if you are def capped since she hits like a wet noodle (even if you MT it with less than preraid BiS, she won't even ragecap you), while Broodlord can easily one-shot you if you aren't in like full T2 with a crit (though you might technically survive that crit, but you will be next to dead with the debuff, which is practically a death sentence if your healers aren't on top of their game).
zmandude24
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Warrior