Detection breaking Stealth

Detection breaking Stealth

by jsb » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:07 pm

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion here about this long-standing bug with the core mechanic of this class:

Currently on Nostalrius, being detected by an enemy NPC immediately breaks you out of Stealth. This is a bug. In original WoW, being detected did not have an effect on Stealth directly. Instead, it would cause the NPC to attack you and only this attack would be what broke you out of Stealth. Consequently, it was often possible to land a Cheap Shot on a target after being detected, but before the enemy could land its first attack on you.

So, this is a serious bug which basically negates one of the great advantages of Cheap Shot in solo PvE, i.e. the fact that it can be used while in front of the enemy.

While the current behavior is obviously incorrect and needs to fixed, I'm not sure about some of the details of the correct Stealth breaking behavior. I was hoping that some of you might have some recollection (or better: evidence) of how the original mechanics worked. That way, we could compile instructions on how the correct behavior needs to be implemented.

The points I'm not so sure about:
  • Taking damage from attacks and spells certainly broke Stealth. But what about enemy attacks that missed you, or which you avoided by dodging / parrying? Would those keep you stealthed?
  • What about fully resisting a spell?
  • It seems like crowd control effects all broke Stealth. Were there any exceptions? How about resisted crowd control effects?
  • Would you break out of Stealth as soon as an enemy NPC started casting a spell or only as soon as the spell hit?

The bug has been reported here in April 2015: Bug #441. Three months later, the bug was confirmed by a moderator. Since then, there have been no further updates.
Last edited by jsb on Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsb
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Detection breaking Stealth

by Youfie » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:15 pm

jsb wrote:
  • Taking damage from attacks and spells certainly broke Stealth. But what about enemy attacks that missed you, or which you avoided by dodging / parrying? Would those keep you stealthed?

I haven't any memory / done researches on that specific matter. Instinctively I'd say it would unstealth you, since resited spell would unstealth you on retail (cf. below).

jsb wrote:
  • What about fully resisting a spell?

• Fully resisted Spells do NOT break Stealth on Nostalrius, while they did on retail until 2.0.3.

jsb wrote:
  • It seems like crowd control effects all broke Stealth. Were there any exceptions? How about resisted crowd control effects?

• Can't say for sure, but there is a good chance resisted CC were just treated as regular spells / abilities, i.e. a resisted Sheep or Fear wouldn't break your Stealth post 2.0.3.

jsb wrote:
  • Would you break out of Stealth as soon as an enemy NPC started casting a spell or only as soon as the spell hit?

• Last time I checked, on Nostalrius you were un-stealthed when you aggro'd a mob, rather than when actually being hit / taking damage on retail.
    Youfie
    Knight-Lieutenant
    Knight-Lieutenant

by jsb » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:24 pm

Thanks for the comments.
    Youfie wrote:
    jsb wrote:[*] Would you break out of Stealth as soon as an enemy NPC started casting a spell or only as soon as the spell hit?[/list]

Last time I checked, on Nostalrius you were un-stealthed when you aggro'd a mob, rather than when actually being hit / taking damage on retail.

I was talking about retail Vanilla WoW. I vaguely remember that the start of the casting animation of an enemy NPC would be enough to break Stealth, but that recollection could also be entirely wrong.

Any idea on resources which might help to settle these questions? I generally refer to these gameplay videos from classic retail vanilla to find evidence for gameplay details. Unfortunately, I don't know any similar footage for Rogues.
    jsb
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

by Mugo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:00 pm

http://youtu.be/LryJeXfhZ5o

Feel the pain series by Niar. Nelf rogue 60.
    Mugo
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

by jsb » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Mugo wrote:http://youtu.be/LryJeXfhZ5o

Thanks for the link! These seem to be exclusively PvP videos, as far as I can see. Not much help for the PvE Stealth breaking bug. :(

I also found this ticket on the Nostalrius bugtracker. The bug was reported in April and there have been no recent updates on the topic.
    jsb
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

by Mugo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:31 pm

jsb wrote:

Thanks for the link! These seem to be exclusively PvP videos, as far as I can see. Not much help for the PvE Stealth breaking bug. :(

I also found this ticket on the Nostalrius bugtracker. The bug was reported in April and there have been no recent updates on the topic.

Not sure where exactly, but he had a video with lbrs solo farming, there was plenty of such stuff as this mentioned bug. Can't find it right now, busy @ work. Once I find such stuff will post here.
    Mugo
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

by Mugo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:46 pm

Mugo wrote:
    jsb wrote:

Not sure where exactly, but he had a video with lbrs solo farming, there was plenty of such stuff as this mentioned bug. Can't find it right now, busy @ work. Once I find such stuff will post here.

Here ya go.

http://youtu.be/yIeYlwMUQYY
    Mugo
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

by Pallysir » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:59 pm

If I remember correctly you could dodge attacks in stealth and if they missed you would still be stealthed, but its been a really long time lol
    Lvl 60 paladin, 20 days played, ganked 373 times
    Pallysir
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

by jsb » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:36 am

Had no time to play the game yet. Has this bug been fixed with yesterday's ZG patch?
    jsb
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

by Woosty » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:56 pm

Curious about this myself. Seems like it should be a top priority considering it's for an ability that basically defines a class.
    Woosty
    Tester

Next

Return to Rogue